1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lottery millionaire back working at McDonald's

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Paul_UK, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

A Lottery millionaire has gone back to work - flipping burgers for £5.85 an hour at a McDonald's restaurant.

Luke Pittard, 25, won a £1.3m fortune, but applied to get his old job back because he missed his workmates.

Mr Pittard said yesterday: "They all think I'm a bit mad but I tell them there's more to life than money.

"I loved working at McDonald's before I became a millionaire and I'm really enjoying being back there again."

Mr Pittard and his then girlfriend Emma Cox, 29, worked together at the Pontprennau, Cardiff branch of McDonald's when they hit the jackpot.

The couple hung up their uniforms and splashed out on a £230,000 home, an expensive wedding and a holiday to the Canaries with their three-year-old daughter Chloe.

But 18 months later the novelty of life without work had worn off and Mr Pittard returned as a staff trainer.

Mr Pittard said: "Lots of my old workmates came to our wedding and I had kept in touch with them all the time, so I just thought: 'Why not go back?'."

The couple earn more each week in interest on their £1,369,847 Lotto win than Mr Pittard brings home from McDonald's.

But Mrs Pittard backed her husband's decision: "We both really enjoyed working at McDonald's and still have good friends there.

"So it was really familiar for him and something for him to look forward to."

Katherine Jones, the branch’s manager, said: "I'm glad he has had the time to enjoy his winnings but love having him here - it's as if he never went away."

The couple have delayed their honeymoon until Mr Pittard's soccer team finishes its fixtures at the end of the season.

He added: "I must be the luckiest man alive - not only did I win a fortune but my wife understands the importance of football and now I've got my old job back."

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/25/nmillion125.xml

If you won the lottery, would you quit work?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I may cut down on my hours, but no way would I quit.

Lex

3. Ty

Ty Guest

Depends what My job was :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think i'd prefer to go to university again and get another degree, or further my degree. I love learning :slight_smile: And having such a supply of money would definitely help learn loads.

4. Jeimuzu

I think I'd do work in fascinating places, instead. Travel about a bit, spend money when I need to, and work with animals or whatever.

Or, like Ty, do another university degree. :slight_smile: Product Design would be fun.

5. Defraction

Hehe... heard about this earlier.

I'd find a fun job that'd I'd really enjoy doing or get a degree or something... Who needs a working wage when the interest you earn from it sitting in your bank is just as much? :grin:

6. Hepcat

I'd probably get some qualifications at university then spend most of the money on travel and charity. I'd still work, but the work would be frequently changing. I've always thought that doing volunteer service abroad would be great too.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    If I was younger, I'd say no. But now? Yes, definitely. I'd love to do some traveling!

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I would keep working, though probably not as much. I'm self-employed (though do a lot for one company) so my hours are quite flexible anyway. I'd get bored otherwise. I like working with the two guys I share an office with and enjoy the work (most of the time).

9. ok455

I would keep on working

10. 24601

Not working would be boring, but it depends on the job. Like others, I would almost definitely go back to school and get another degree (assuming I get a degree in the near future), since I love learning and school...

11. hehehey2006

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would work as I would be terribly bored at home but not a chance i would still work where I work now :grin:

12. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I would use it to finance an insane film project. Or set up a charity.

^^ lies. I'd probabaly just hoard it to pay off student loans on an acting degree :lol:

13. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think I would quit. Maybe work a few years or something and then decide to take a break off and got back to work later on or something. Plus it depends on how much I won.

14. Micah

I would quit work while I'm at uni, but I would certainly finish my degree and then get a job.

15. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm currently in uni. I'd finish my degree, and maybe look at part time work doing something I enjoy. If I were really motivated and had an "Idea" I would use the money to start a business. If I did nothing I would be really bored and wouldn't have much social contact.

16. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not working currently but I would totally have quit any job I've had if I won that much. I would start a foundation, probably to benefit some sexuality-related cause, and work at that! And I would employ all my friends who wanted to be involved because I have some pretty amazing friends.

17. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    Nope, wouldn't even cut back on the hours. I like working, it makes me feel like I've accomplished something... if I just sat around and enjoyed my millions, I would be bored out of my mind.

18. total mo

total mo Guest

If i work at mcdonalds, i would find another job where it doesnt take too much effort.

19. JSG

JSG Guest

Of course I'd quit my job !!
    I'd build a pool and swim in my money all day, every single day :grin:
    Or maybe a really cool job, like condom tester
    I'd have enough bananas for the rest of my life !! (!)

20. pirateninja

I'd have to use the money to publish my own book, or put towards a film. I'd love to do something creative with the money and be able to see exactly what I had done with it.