1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you from Canada???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kat22, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Kat22

Hey ECers! I am going to Canada this summer and I need help planning my trip! I am going to Calgary for the Vans' Warped Tour. All of the people I am going with, including myself have never been to Canada, and I am the only one who has been outside of the US. Are there any customs that we should know about so that we don't offend anyone? Also, does anyone know of any good clubs (gay or straight) to go to in Calgary? We are going to be there a week so we definately wanna have a good time. Thanks everyone!

2. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm from the east coast so I can't help you much with Calgary. This is meant to be taken somewhat lightly:

-Don't demand service because you're from the USA

-Don't pay in US$, call the highway the interstate, or use the imperial system (especially because imperial gallons used by old farts in Canada are different from US gallons).

-Bring a passport.

-Colour, Neighbour, Cheque.

-Yes, Esso is Exxon.

-Healthcare is only "free" to Canadian residents, NOT visitors.

-It isn't Winter in the Summer, it actually does get warm in the summer. Here's a link to Calgary weather so you can plan ahead when it comes time to pack:
    http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html
    Here's some climate info:
    http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php?product=travellers&pagecontent=CAAB0049

-A flashing green light means you can go while the traffic across from you can't. I honestly didn't know that this isn't common practice in all jurisdictions until recently. Oh, except in BC a flashing green means it's a pedestrian controlled signal.

Seriously just be friendly and you'll have a good time. From my experience in the US, Canada and the US have much more in common than we have different. I know little about Calgary, but you're close to the rockies so it might be worth renting a car to go touring, or see if there's a bus tour or something.

3. Kat22

This I know. Very few Americans are like this, but the ones who are give all of us a bad name. Bleh! I've been to quite a few European countries, and identify more with my Italian heritage than my American anyway.

Those websites did help out A LOT thanks!

Because I will be driving my own vehicle there, the thing about the lights would have definately thrown me off had you not warned me. Thanks x 2!

While Kenko was a big help, I'm still lookin for more info everyone!!!

4. Nitro

wikipedia actually has a fairly exhaustive (though extremely cautious) list of do-s and don'ts in Canada and Canadian etiquette. To add to what to what Kenko wrote (which I whole heartedly agree with, esp the metric thing - kilometers, liters, and °C are the big irritants, while pounds and feet are very, very much okay)

- In Canada they are called Inuit. Not Eskimo. Getting it wrong in my experience (of watching others make said mistake) gets reproach, ridicule, or taunting (that last one is rare and more typical of the inhibriated, younger, Canadians .... rare but happens).
    Just to be safe you may want to take a quick perusal of first nations issues and terminology again, wikipedia is good enough for this one (and honest mistakes made on what you read from there can be the source of some of the most rewarding conversation you may get out of a stranger).

- Approach issues of sovereignty with caution. Quebec separation has been bitterly debated for decades and has, years and years ago, incited terrorist acts (FLQ). If you just want to know about it, you may hear plenty, but passing any judgements usually gets a "mind-your-own business" response.
    Although this one may be on the political backburner right now, Canadians with a long political memory may be somewhat volatile over the issue of artic sovereignty. It doesn't help that the US doesn't recognize the claim. Asking for the straight facts is okay (provided the person can provide them - ignorant people + issue of national interest= bad!!) but passing judgements isn't.

- This is one is more of an annoyance but ... there isn't a president of canada. Try Prime Minister. This one is just sooo common and sooo typical of tourists it just gets frustrating after a while.

Summary: use common sense, take a good joke, and :icon_bigg Have Fun! :icon_bigg

5. Rette

Calgarian here. There's only one gay club I know of in Calgary, and that's Twisted (It's located on 11th street).

6. InaRut

Ontario here...

And also good for you to comming to Canada that's the first step in becoming AWESOME!

7. Alexander

There's a lot of nice townie places in Canada that I've been to.. if you don't mind a few tourists :slight_smile:D), Stratford is absolutely gorgeous in the summer. Of course Toronto's basically awesome, being that it's Toronto. Plus they have a metro *and* an Ikea! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If you're into music or nature at all, you'd better visit Nova Scotia. Not only is it one of the most beautiful oceany places I've ever been, it's also got the Cape Breton Fiddler's Association and Natalie McMasters, probably the greatest folk fiddler in the world.

If you make it all the way to Nunavut, there's some great Inuit museums and stuff to visit, but most people don't go wayyyy up there.

And if you haven't been, you absolutely have to visit the rainforests in British Columbia. Even if you only are there for a couple hours, its something you'll remember all your life.

If you're looking for a good gay bar, there's an extensive list here.

8. davo-man

I don't have anything to add, but I wanted to thank people for their input, cos I'll be heading over there in a bit more than a year, so all of these tips are very useful...Thanks people

9. Kat22

You're from Calgary? Awesome!!! Tell me more about the city! This is the only city I will be going to due to expenses and the fact that it is where Warped Tour is, and that is our main reason for going. The club Twisted--is it a good club to go to? I mentioned it earlier, but I am the only one who has been outside the country, so I'm the only one of us has been to bars and clubs and actually been able to consume alcohol (everyone going is under the legal drinking age here in the US). My friends are a little nervous about the whole "new place" thing. Also do you know of any good straight clubs? (Two of the people going are straight, and we are all fair to each other :icon_wink ) What about museums or anything like that? Also, any good restaurants?
    Sorry, I know you aren't a tour guide, but I would rather hear these things from someone who lives there rather than from someone who is paid to make everything look spectacular!

10. Rette

Sure, I can elaborate a bit. Twisted's pretty good, but I've only been once. If you go on a weekend, the line's going to be a little long, but it's worth it. For straight clubs, you're going to want to look for 17th avenue, it's where most of the nightlife occurs. My personal favourite is "The Drum and Monkey", but it's a couple blocks off of 17th (I can't think of the address off-hand, but I'm sure they have a website).
    Also related to 17th, it's very cool during the day. There's lots of neat little boutiques and cafes, I would definitely say you should check it out one afternoon.
    The only museum I know of is The Glenbow Museum, but I haven't been since I was like 12.
    Let me think on the restaurants one.
    Also, if you have a car, I would recommend taking a day and getting out of the city for a bit, there's some absolutely beautiful wilderness outside of Calgary. Take a look for a place called Elbow Falls, it's like an hour drive out of South Calgary, and it's quite a nice spot to just take a picnic basket and relax.

Which end of the city are you staying in? It's an absolutely massive city, as far as area goes. I can help more with the south end, rather than the north.

11. Kat22

Actually all of us going love the outdoors so we are camping all but one of the days we are there. The place that the concert is at is The Racecity Speedway. I have no idea where that is in comparison to our camp site. . .what part of the city is it in? Is it close to all the places you mentioned?

12. Rette

Most of the places I mentioned are in downtown Calgary (easy to find, it's where the huge buildings are). Race city speedway's not too far from downtown, probably about a 10 minute drive. Any idea where your campsite is?

13. Kat22

Hmm. . .I don't know where we are staying. I think we were looking at a couple different ones last I knew (we kinda divided up the responsibilites for the trip, and my friend is looking up the lodging) do you know of any good campsites?

Also, has anyone ever driven across the boarder from the US to Canada or vice versa? Does anyone know what I'm in for there? We're taking my SUV and I guess I just want to know if they are going to have to search every bag and every nook and cranny of my vehicle...

14. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nitro: Oops, I forgot to mention that feet and pounds are still very much used, but otherwise pretty much all metric.

Oh and to add to the president thing, provinces don't have Governors, they have Priemers.

I've driven through the border. I've found the trip to the US more of a PITA than the trip to Canada. Sometimes they have armed guards that walk around your car, sometimes they make you open your trunk just to have a peak inside, other times it's smooth sailing. It's at the whim of how much of a false sense of security they want to present. Though I've heard some word of mouth that for US citizens the Canadian crossing is actually harder.

Know what items you aren't allowed to bring across the border (ie: guns) and don't bring them. Answer any questions the custom officer asks with truthful, brief, precise answers, and have the driver answer unless specifically asked by the guard. "Where are you going? Calgary. How long will you be in the country? 6 days. What do you do for a living? Student."

I don't think passports are a requirement at land crossings yet, but they are the best form of ID to present. If not, I think photo ID and proof of citizenship (birth certificate) is the requirement.

15. Rette

hmm, I can't really help you with either of those ones. I've never had experience with campsites, and I haven't crosses the border in years.

16. Chaos

Oooh cool Warped Tour. I'm going to Warped in Saskatoon and then in Calgary a day or so later.

I can't really add anything else... But bar age is lower in Canada than it is in the US! I think in Alberta it is 18. If not it's 19.

17. cant really help you out as im from nova scotia just wanted to say have a good and safe trip

18. Kat22

Oh no! I hope its not 19. Then my girlfriend would be the only one who wouldn't be able to go! Everyone else will be 20 or older, but she's only 18. :-S

Thanks!!!!

#18 Kat22, Mar 27, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  19. HalfInsane

No worries, legal drinking age in Alberta is 18. I checked to be sure.

20. gentlegiant4

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard it's okay to be gay in Canada.

Kinda makes a really long road trip north seem almost tantalizing.