1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you feel if your child turned out to be homosexual?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LoveMusicPoetry, Mar 21, 2013.

1. LoveMusicPoetry

Ok, I have a 5 year old boy. I don't know how the subject came up, but I was talking to him earlier and I asked him who he thought was prettier, girls or boys? I wouldn't have been at all bothered if he had been staunchly for boys, but anyway, he said girls were prettier. This got me thinking: How would I actually feel if my son turned out to be gay?

I would always love and support him in whatever he chose to be, but knowing what I know now about coming out and the internal conflict etc, I would feel a bit odd. Don't get me wrong, I'm bent as a nine bob note, him being the same wouldn't bother me one bit. It would never be something I would want for him though. I would just be sad that my son had to face life being different I suppose. I am very lucky where I am and with the family and friends I have, they have all been completely supportive and accepting of me, and things are improving with regards to attitudes to homosexuality all the time, but it is still unusual. I know it's a bit shallow to want him to be 'normal', but, I don't know, we all just want our kids to be happy and secure.

How would you feel if your children, or theoretical children turned out to be gay?

2. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would love them and be completely supportive of my child no matter what they were! Now I just hope science will allow me to have babies one day.... If not though I'd probably adopt and love them all the same! :grin:

3. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    I'd be happy, since we'd probably bond closer. But at the same time worried about their future and coming out. I guess the feeling is somewhat mutual... I would put more, but I'm really tired. Basically, LoveMusicPoetry's post is how I feel. :slight_smile:

4. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i think my kid might swing... he's 11 and he likes his sister's mate (girl) but he and his best friend are always together... they even share the same bed if there's a sleep over.... i seriously dont know how to react if he was... i'd accept it offcourse but im in the closet so what kind of message will i be telling him?

maybe im just thinking way too much into it

5. Devious Kitty

I would feel the exact same as I would feel if they turned out to be straight. No big deal to me.

6. Formality

I'd be a great parent. I would love my child no matter what.

7. castle walls

I will love and support my child regardless of their gender identity or sexual orientation. My love for my children will be unconditional. There is nothing they can ever do or say to make me love them any less. With all that being said, I'd be worried about their future. The world can be a really cruel place and I don't want them to suffer

8. worriedWardrobe

Honestly, I'd just be happy that there would be a base that we could connect on.

9. Dalmatian

Luckily, I live in a country where the worst thing that can happen to you is that you are not accepted by those you love. Unfortunately, that by itself is horrible. So, I'd show with every last atom of my being that I am happy and proud of my kid and the fact that (s)he's able to find someone to love.

10. 4ever Hearth

I'd love my child regardless but when you say you would want them to be "normal", I can understand that especially if they were raised in a same-sex household. Now if me and my amazing, fundiferous future husband were to adopt children and one or both of the girls, even worse, the boys turned out to be gay, the ignorant speculation would be a killer for everyone i'm sure.

The last thing I would ever want is for my son(s) and/or daughter(s) to take the blunt force of having two dads. Especially from people who will try to convince them that "they"(they=his dads) might be "suggesting" things to them or even worse, we might be "doing" something to them.

Honestly, I would love to be a parent but that scenario stops me dead in my tracks everytime I think that i'm sure I would be able to handle it.

11. Monocle

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd be totally fine with it, of course.

I wouldn't be sad for him or her or worried about what his or her life was gonna be like... times are changing, and any LGBT kids I have will have as good a chance as anyone else at happiness. I don't wish to be straight, so I wouldn't wish that they were straight either.

I know that's a broad and probably overly optimistic view of things, but that's how I feel I suppose.

12. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ummm thinking about it now...

these opinoins are coming from the LQBT peepz...

if it were straight people answering the answer will be alot different... why do you think most of us are still in the closet?

13. Jonathan

I wouldn't care one way or another, they are who they are.

14. Kay

Kay Guest

If I did have children I would have loved them no matter what they were as far as gender, orientation, or identity. I would have taught them acceptance of everyone as well.

15. Alexander69

I would prefer it because I could then relate to his feelings and help him somthing heterosexual parents can't do for a gay son.

16. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd be fine with it.

Actually, I might prefer it a bit, because I like when people are different from the norm - not that I'd ever let on about this to a straight child of mine.

17. sugarcubeigloo

I would feel indifferent about my child's sexuality. He/she can choose to love anyone they want: man, woman, no one... Whatever! I wouldn't love my child's sexuality, I would love my child.

Then I would welcome them to the club with their official membership card.

18. Kat kanu

im planing on adopting teens and pre teens when im older and if they turn out gay or lesbian or anything as long as they are happy i will support them

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The love of one's own children should be, by definition, unconditional.

I love my children to the ends of the earth and back, and if it happens that one or more of the three are LGBT, then I would have something else to love them for!

20. Iowan1976

I would love to have a son or a daughter who was gay, and as previous posts have indicated, there maybe some bias :slight_smile:

I also think that for the children born today, they will face less obstacles dealing with who they are when they are teens and adults than what we faced. I totally see it with my cousins' kids when they are around. They don't see race as an issue like other generations....skin is just skin. It is warming to think that with this new generation those feelings will be the same with LGBT community. I maybe a bit optimistic, but we will see this happen in our lifetime.