1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religion- Sikhism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by whyy, Mar 25, 2008.

1. whyy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I was at work today and I was talking to one of my workmates... we got talking about religion (he doesn't know that i'm gay) and he told me that he was a Sikh belonging to Sikhism faith...

I had no idea this religion existed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.... did you guys know about this faith or am I just really uneducated lol

2. crimsonarcher

I went to one Sikh temple for a cultural enhancement project in English.

3. Trumpetplyer23

I've heard about it. I'm not entirely sure what it is or what their beliefs are. I think its based in Asia, maybe, but I'd do some research, or better yet, ask your friend. People love to talk about their religion.

4. whyy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How did you find the trip to the Sikh temple? I think there are a few in my area or nearby.. I might check it out I heard the temples are quite open and there aren't any restrictions...

I'll ask my workmate next time I'm at work...

Will keep you posted :icon_bigg

5. Ty

Ty Guest

My friends mum is sikh. Although I haven't really asked him many questions about it, lol.

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I studied Sikhism at school for ages. I feel like I know quite a lot about it. Their main beliefs are that you are reincarnated, and there is karma. There is only one God, and he sent a series of prophets to reveal the faith to people, the most important of whom was Guru Nanak. They believe in non-violence and equality and all that stuff. I always thought it seemed like a pretty nice religion :slight_smile: You can find out more on wikipedia, I expect.

7. Ty

Ty Guest

The supreme religious body of Sikhism teaches that homosexuality is "unnatural and ungodly". The Sikh holy book, the Guru Granth Sahib, does not explicitly mention homosexuality.

:frowning2:

Homosexuallity and Sikhism

8. whyy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Arenethiel hit the nail on the head I think.... Ive been reading up about SIkhism and that was a great summary! :grin:

In terms of homosexutality the holy scriptures (Guru Granth Sahib) always makes reference to a man and woman in marriage and as it doesn't mention same-sex relationships it's thought that it is then wrong.

But other aspects of this religion fascinate me personally... it has such a rich history..

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew about the faith just because there are lot of immigrants from India in the Vancouver area who are Sikh and so a lot of Sikh temples. In fact we just had two major parades for their New Year's celebrations, one out in one of the suburbs and one here in Vancouver proper. Plus one of my best friends is essentially a religious scholar so I get a lot of general information from him by osmosis.

10. Leigh

Leigh Guest

wow.

you are uneducated :slight_smile:

11. sdc91

I've heard of it. A few of my friends are Sikh.

It's a mix of Hinduism and Islam from northern India, I think (but I could be wrong). It's been a while since I studied all the world religions.

12. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only mention my religion teacher ever made of Sikhism was something like "Sikhs are the ones with the turbans". She might have said something else, but my religion classes were basically devoted to note-passing. My friends and I invented our own religion in class once.