1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The word "family" has been hajacked by homophobes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gibson234, Mar 22, 2013.

1. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I notice that most of the gay marriage debates have some sort of anti gay organization in them with the word "family" in their names. Like the America family foundation, the family and I heard a few others. They seems to think that saying we are "pro family" is a reason to be homophobic. As if two people of the same sex can't have a family that is as functional as a straight couple. There is still this under current of homophobia in the world that allows this awful, deceitful anti gay propaganda to take place. The opinion that gay people are doing something wrong seems to be considered a acceptable opinion despite their being no justification for it, other than "my god" says so which doesn't mean much to you if you have a different god, a different interpretation of that god or no god.

They seem to think that it is their business to define what a family is and more importantly how YOUR family should be. What makes them think that their believe that homosexuality is wrong should in anyway dictate the lives of others and they use the word "family" as an cover for the fact that they just want to go back to a time when they could bash gay people and have fun watching the queer cry.

I don't understand why these people get respect. I believe last year president Obama went to a meeting with "the family" group which are against gay marriage and are linked with the "kill the gays" bill in Uganda. These people shouldn't be taken seriously like white power nutters aren't taken seriously.

Sorry for the rant its just this people make me very angry. What does everybody else think?

2. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Well, apart from what you just said, I just want to add one of my thoughts: I wish people were more understanding. :frowning2:

3. campervankid

These people make me mad too. I mean who do they think they are defining what a good family is just because of the sexual orientation of the people in it? They shouldnt be allowed to have family in their name because they are acting like 'antifamily' people.

4. Emberstone

stupidity congregates, and tells other stupids that what they have to say it true, when it is false.

it is the very basis on how the religious right functions as a political force.

5. Ridiculous

Yeah it has. "Family" is a keyword used by hate groups.

6. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It disturbs me how they use the word "family."

7. Mogget

I've always taken PZ Myers' approach: just replace the word "Family" with "Patriarchy" when you read their stuff. It fits much better.

8. Beware Of You

Yup.

If you look at the last British National Party election campaign they practically spun "Family Values" into anything, they had.

9. nikom87

I totally agree. They are always on and on about how LGBTQ people have the nerve to try to "redefine the family" or "redefine marriage", like marriage and family were somehow theirs to own and define.

I'm pretty sure they think they are entitled to own other people and their lives.

10. BornInTexas

It makes me sad seeing people like that call themselves "family". A true FAMILY loves people, no matter what. I wish everyone had a mind open to listen and understand.

11. Devious Kitty

It's just your typical political doublespeak, although not surprisingly ironic doublespeak as it can be said to be very anti-family in many ways. Examine stuff closely enough and you will see this sort of thing pretty much everywhere.

A bit of a side note, but it came to mind: For some reason what always annoys me more than this is the people who come in during discussions about this sort of thing and say something along the lines of "well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion."

12. nikom87

This makes me mad too. Like, why are they playing devil's advocate? They're supporting bigots who are trying to make other people's lives suck instead of supporting the people who are victims of hateful attitudes and words.

13. 4ever Hearth

Very true but honestly I wonder how they see us and by that I mean like I assume when they look at me, they see me but for all I know is they see this caricature of a demon or some other bullsh**.

And I would definitely "enjoy" to have a conversation with a mild-bigot and see how that plays out. And I wouldn't be trying to "save" them or anything, I just wonder how it works "up there" for them. :roflmao:

14. LoveMusicPoetry

I totally agree, it's disgusting. They wouldn't allow racists or religious hatred into the public domain via the media, why allow homophobia? I don't know what these right wing nutters think we are gonna do. Do they think we are gonna try and turn all their kids queer or something? Do they think they might catch gay? Or do they think they might be gay and they don't like it? If people were lesing up and butt fucking in the street, I could see what their problem was, but they don't. It's just ignorant bigots who want to put others down. They shouldn't be allowed the oxygen of publicity...no fuck it, they shouldn't be allowed oxygen at all.