1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One more difference, One more division

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RedLight, Mar 23, 2013.

1. RedLight

I am a Dominican who considers herself Dominican-American, but who others consider African-Dominican-American. Growing up in New York from the time I ten, I see many different things; some wild, some psychotic, some nerve-recking, but mostly I see diversity, division, and expectation.

Growing up as a hispanic (Dominican), people already had this sort of idea of me. I was supposed to have some kind of an accent, I HAD to be a little wild, a little reserved, a little domesticated. I HAD to know how to dance, and since I didn't I was weird.

Growing up as part of Catholic family I had to be smart, thoughtful, conservative. I had to belive what the church believed, listen to my parents, never go against their will. I had to read the bible (which I never did, and never plan on doing) I was going to be the tattle-tale, the goody too-shoes.

But I never was any of those things. What I always was but they never saw was the exception to the rule.

So now that I'm Gay, I see in my future a ridiculous mixture of expectations, and I don't deal well with expectations, especially not with stranger's expectations. :eusa_doh:

2. AKTodd

I've always found that making it clear to people up front that the only expectations about myself that I really care about are my own tends to cut through this sort of thing in short order and save ever so much time :slight_smile:

3. Hexagon

I understand how you feel. I was always expected to be a girl.