1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Unitarian Universalist church

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Music Heals, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Music Heals

Hi everyone!

So I'm going to the Unitarian Universalist church tomorrow, and I was wondering if anyone had ever gone to one of their services/belong to this religion. I've heard that they're LGBT friendly, so I'm fairly excited to go. What do you all think about them?

2. Ianthe

They are very nice. We attended for a little while when I was growing up.

They are sort of the "everyone's beliefs are valid" church. When I went, they didn't really seem to have any specific doctrine they held to.

3. Mysz

My best friend is UU. I have been to her church before- it's nice, a stone-and-ivy affair near the beach. They are very accepting, and I do appreciate such a religion. They're not a traditional religion with a strict set of beliefs, either.
    Have fun! Say how it went tommorow!

4. LailaForbidden

I have indeed! The one I went to was very, very accepting. Actually, they still fly a rainbow flag outside the building to this day. The service was pretty much just reciting different stories from different religions. Kinda like a religion class at a university (w/o the assignments)

5. FruitFly

Well, the local UU church near me is very inclusive and if I remember rightly fairly active with the local university LGBTQ groups. Not sure whether it just hasn't taken off around here yet but the membership was small, but very friendly. Mostly made up of members of the local LGBTQ and vegan groups. Quite enjoyable.

6. SeerOfHeart

I'm part of this congregation! I'm part of the RE program (though I wouldn't really call it religious ed), and this year I'm in class called OWL (Our Whole Lives) which is sorta like sex ed. More like sexual awareness, I guess. We've actually had a few lessons on lgbt issues, and they're very positive and inclusive! No discrimination at all. If you experience any sort of negativity, that just means you found the very rare asshole there.

Also, to be honest, I wouldn't even really call UU a religion. The program for kids is more about finding what you believe in and following that, no matter what it is.

7. Music Heals

Hi again! Thanks everyone for replying!

So it was actually really cool. The sermon given didn't mention anything in the bible once even, and drew from ancient Hindu texts, astro-physics, an old theology professor, and a Chinese folk song as the references! I thought it was really neat!

Even funner(because that's totally a word), in the back of the little pamphlet thing/program/bulletin/whatever you wanna call it, was a statement saying "we accept everyone no matter blah blah skin color gender sexuality blah blah". Everyone there seemed really nice too! It seems to be a very nice, inclusive church, and perfect for any LGBT person. Like pretty much everyone else has said, they don't really have a set religion, which was comforting. They even had a library including books from every religion imaginable.

The only weird part was because I'm not out to my mom or anything, since my mom's friend(who is UU and was guiding my mom and I around the church) asked how I had even discovered it, as pretty much the only mentionable religion in my area is Catholic. I stammered out something about happening to stumble onto the Wikipedia page, since I really had just been searching LGBT friendly churches :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm not able to go back next week, since I have to go attend an Easter service with my grandpa at a boring Methodist church or something, but the week after, I'll be able to o back! :slight_smile:

8. wilkysarah1

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been part of my UU congregation since I was 3 and it's really great! I'm also doing the OWL class and our last class is tomorrow! It's been a great experience I loved it

9. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There's one I drive by fairly often...at one time they had a rainbow flag hanging outside.

10. Beware Of You

I am tempted to try my local one, I learned about them at my unis LGBT society. I do like the sound of their ethos, and well I am somewhat spiritual.

They accept anyone