1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to college in NYC?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by julia, Mar 23, 2013.

1. julia

While I have gone to college in the city, the building I lived in was only 5 minutes away from the main campus and the college I'm looking at for the Spring next year only has housings 20 minutes away from the school.
    I was wondering if anyone goes to school in New York City? And what are your experiences in living off campus? Does it cost a crazy amount to catch a cab or go on the subway to get your classes? How do you keep budget while you have to pay for your food? (if not on a meal plan)
    Thank you for any input! :slight_smile:

2. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live and study in nyc, and i live off campus no food plan through my school. Rent is going to depend on where you live and how many roommates you take on. The outer boroughs in general are cheaper. I budget for food by eating for cheap and going to my mom's place. I also have a job to help me afford things. Still going to have a ton of debt though :frowning2:

Subway fare is 2.50 a ride, but if you plan to use it every day you should get a weekly or a monthly pass to save money. Taxis are expensive and I dont think are an efficient way of getting around the city, especially if you're going to live outside of the borough you go to school in. The trains are awesome anyway. Theres also all kinds of cheap and free things to do around the city, to cut your expenses instead of going out somewhere and paying full price.

3. julia

The building I was looking at to live in is The Towers at the City College of New York, and I would love to have the 3 bedroom, two baths and kitchen but it is $16,000 a year, and that is absolutely insane. There's no doubt I'll have to find a job to pay for food, too. hopefully I'll be able to get work Study.

Oh yeah, I definitely would get a Metrocard pass for the month, I know how ridiculous those prices are. And I agree with you on cabs, I remember taking a cab once in the city to get back to my building it was over almost 20 bucks from just a few streets over...and then you have to think about a tip. I was just wonderding what other people thought.
    Sorry to be a pain, but could you list a free things that are free/cheap in the city? I know Central Park is beautiful, and the school I'm looking at is really close to it so that's nice, but I can't think of anything else. Besides libraries, haha.
    Thank you so much!

4. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Even if that $16,000 rent is for a full 12 months instead of simply a school year that I'm assuming, that is still INSANE!! Does it include a meal plan? You can find a private apartment for so so much cheaper in that area. That is, if you're comfortable living in a private apartment away from the dorm lifestyle which sort of still looks out for you. You have to fly completely solo in a private apartment.

Do not take cabs. They're a money black hole, and completely unnecessary. Just use the subway and the buses. I know my way around NY, having visited some friend of mine in college there in my younger days, and that area is well served by some nice express trains that will get you downtown fast.

5. prism

I go to school in NYC. I live in student housing a mile from campus, so I walk everywhere. Our room has a kitchen, so I don't have a meal plan (too expensive). The cost of living is way higher than where I'm originally from, so I was a bit shocked when I first moved here. Honestly, ordering out and getting a meal for $10-15 will be cheaper and easier than grocery shopping and spending time to prepare food and wash dishes. I switch off between Trader Joe's vegetables and free meals from miscellaneous club meetings at my uni. I'm a freakin' poverty ninja during the school year.

How long it takes to catch a cab will depend on where you are. It's almost impossible to get a cab where I live, so I use a car service, which is actually cheaper. 99% of the time I take the subway, which is pretty fast and reliable once you figure out how it works.

6. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pulsd NYC is something I get emails from like every day (which can be annoying)that lists different things around the city to do like open bars, free movies, free food, discounts. Im sure theres a gazillion other websites and apps and services that do that too. I also like going to gallery openings on thursdays in chelsea, thats free. Target sponsors different free nights at cultural institutions like MoMA and Lincoln Center too.

7. julia

But if I live in one of school's housing building's the costs will go on my school bill, so I won't have to start paying it off until I finished my school. Where as if I lived in a private apartment I would have to pay that out of my pocket, and I do not have that kind of money right now. There are other options besides The Towers, though. 1760 Third Avenue is $10,000 for a school year, still steep but much more affordable. But no, it does not include a meal plan, there's a kitchen I would use. (But I could get a meal plan I wanted to...but that of course would be more)
    And thank you for the head's up about the cabs. Sometimes I truly hate the subway's but they are definitely much, much cheaper. Quick question, though. At night, if I happen to be by myself, which would you think would be safer? A cab or the subway? Or a bus, if accessible?

Ahh, just a mile? I am so, so jealous. That must save you so much money. (But come to think of it, two of my housing options are only 1.5 miles away from my school...so I could always have the choose to walk.) No but that's awesome you're so aware of the high prices of food...I was not when I went to Pace University almost three years ago, and I came home broke.
    Figuring out the subway was probably the hardest thing about living in the city. Their website is so extremely helpful, though, but still it's so complicated. (Unless you're going to somewhere that's a highly touristy place, haha, then the signs are pretty clear.)

Oh, that is a brilliant site, thank you! How have I never heard of this before? Haha. And I love, love galleries/museums, so that sounds awesome. Thank you again!

8. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You can still do better than $10,000 for a school year. When I went to college I lived off campus and used my student loan money (Stafford, Pell, scholarship, etc) to pay for both my rent AND my living expenses. You can borrow up to the estimated amount of attending which includes living expenses, fees, supplies, books, etc. If you don't have the living expenses amount paid directly to a dorm and meal plan then the financial aid department of your school will give you that amount via check. Sadly this check does tend to get a little delayed and it usually arrived 3 weeks into the semester. So you'd need to have first month's expenses saved for or have your parents' help until that check arrived. This is a completely legit option. Talk to your financial aid adviser. Not many people think to talk to them but they're a super helpful resource.

Trains at night alone? I don't usually recommend traveling alone at night after say 11 pm especially if you've been drinking. Just as a general safety tip. If you are wasted and have to travel back to your dorm/apt alone at 3 am, take a cab. But set aside cash for a cab before you go out drinking because certain parts of NYC only have gyspy cabs (not yellow cabs) and they only take cash not credit. The bus isn't really any safer than the train late at night alone.

Don't get me wrong, the trains are generally safe. I never felt uncomfortable or unsafe on a NYC train when I was there. But I always remained aware of my surroundings especially if I knew I was compromised by alcohol.

Edited to add: If you are not alone at night then subway or bus should be fine, unless both you and your companion(s) are astoundingly drunk. Sorry to keep mentioning the drunk thing, but let's be honest here, if you're 21 years old and traveling home alone at 2 am you've probably been out drinking.

#8 Parsley, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  9. prism

Yes, walk! My walk is probably more like 1.2 miles, but I'm a fast walker and I adore walking around NYC.
    I've been here for two years and I still haven't figured out the subway system. I'm cool once I look up a route online and take it a few times, but it takes some serious brain power to figure out how to get from one place to another without an internet connection. I've lost count of the times I've gotten on the wrong train and poker faced until I can get off at the next stop.

10. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my mind, it depends on where your stop is, as to whether you use the trains or not at night. I dont think of the subway as dangerous, its the walk home from the station to me, and of course that depends on your neighborhood. A tip about riding the subway alone at night - the safest car most likely will be the one where the conductor is, which is always the middle car of the train (unless youre on the L) by walking to the middle of the platform and looking up for a black and white stripe board, that signals where the conductor will be. Conductors are also good for asking directions. I was born and raised in nyc, soI grew up with the trains, and I gotta say its important to learn the subway. Hang a map up in your room and get familiar with it. Theres no need to feel intimidated by it, its the best way of getting around and in general very safe.

#10 TestingitOut, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  11. RainbowMan

I've lived in NYC for ~6 years, so I can offer some perspective on the transit situation. I'm a bit of a transit geek myself, and can get around extremely well. For when I can't (Queens not on the 7 train or the Bronx, and I rarely find myself in either situation), I have an app called NYCMate on my phone which has a subway map right there for my reference, and requires a data connection only to initially download the map - so it works underground where you have no service!

As for cost/benefit of cabs, I'm not a college student, and have a salary indicative of that fact :grin:. So I'll take a cab whenever I feel it would be more convenient or quicker, which translates into late nights when I'm drunk coming home from a bar :grin: (or late nights in general, train service can be fairly abysmal late nights depending on where you're at). In general though, the subway is THE fastest way around the city. For example, I had sprained my ankle and wanted to avoid the stairs associated with the subway a few times recently, and I had to allocate MORE time to reach my destination than it would have taken on the subway. I'm amazed that someone here said that it cost $20 to go a few blocks - they overcharged the hell out of you! It costs me about $20 (with tip) to go from the East Village to Park Slope at night!!!

And as for the gypsy cabs - stay away, at least in Manhattan. That's how you wind up getting way overcharged. And if someone comes to you in the airport and asks if you need a ride, you don't. Go to the taxi stand and take reputable transportation.

$0.02

12. julia

But who would I be living with? That's the main reason I would want to live in a building that's made for students. I will definitely bring it up with my advisor though, thank you for that!
    I meant like 7pm to 9pm, if I happen to have a night class? I would NEVER go out alone, especially if I'm going to be drinking. Thanks for the head up about gypsy cabs, I actually have never heard of them. That's good to know.

I love walking around the city as well, and I probably will do so, as long as I had enough sleep the night before and don't feel like falling over, haha. That will definitely save me a whole lot of money. Oh god, I've only gotten on the wrong train once and went all the way to Queens from Lower Manhattan....not a good time, but it did have a good view...haha.

Thanks for the tip, I never knew where the conductor was, I'll definitely remember that if I ever feel the need for a little sense of protection. I actually already have a map of the subway (I think?) so I definitely will. I feel like that is the main key of living in the city, actually knowing what train to take.

Oh that NYCMate App looks so awesome, thank you! It working underground is definitely a plus, since cell phones are absolutely no use. Right, if I had the money I would probably be more taken to take a cab rather than the subway, always so crowded... And I would also never take a ride from someone I know, definitely not naive enough to fall for that, haha. Thank you!

13. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Also use HopStop.com (or their app) to plan subway trips before you head out and get yourself lost. I've been told the app needs reception to work (might be wrong), but you can just chart your trip before going underground and have it ready to read on your phone.

You can get an apartment with classmates, or just find some roommates to sublet from. I found non-classmate roommates when I went to college and just sublet during the school year. But, again, it depends on how comfortable you are with agreeing to live with people you may not know. I'm a caution to the wind kind of girl and it didn't bother me one bit, but I know that isn't the case for everyone.

14. julia

I just downloaded the Embark NYC Subway App and it's absolutely wonderful. I'm definitely going to look into other housing options and hope that I do find better alternative options, thank you so much for all of your input!