1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On Coming Out by Harvey Milk

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kenaz, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Kenaz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    “Every gay person must come out. As difficult as it is, you must tell your immediate family. You must tell your relatives. You must tell your friends if indeed they are your friends. You must tell the people you work with. You must tell the people in the stores you shop in. Once they realize that we are indeed their children, that we are indeed everywhere, every myth, every lie, every innuendo will be destroyed once and all. And once you do, you will feel so much better”

--Harvey Milk

(*hug*)

2. BornInTexas

Is that a quote, or was that from a book? I'd love to read the book.

3. Kenaz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @BIT:

I was actually thinking of reading some of his books. You can find two of them here.

There is also a free documentary online about his work here and they made a movie based on him, Sean Penn playing as Harvey Milk (looks so much like him!) called none other than "Milk." I loved that movie, it was how I heard of him not long after I came out.

I came across the original quote from perusing YouTube for It Gets Better Videos in the comments section. Had to share it! (&&&)

4. nikom87

I like that quote, thanks for sharing. I love the film Milk. Sean Penn was indeed very believable.

5. WorldsCollided

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I watched MILK. no suprise it become one of my favourite movie. The energy that Sean Penn gave into that character of Harvey Milk......... he made it feel soooooo real.

6. UndercoverGypsy

I loved the movie not only for it's quality, but also because seeing James Franco kiss a guy made me fangirl in the gayest way possible.