1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad i'll never get married

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by orangeyskies, Mar 25, 2013.

1. orangeyskies

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is anyone else a bit disappointed that they may never get married? Even if I were to live in a state where it's legal, my family would never go along with it. I'm a tiny bit of a hopeless romantic, I guess :icon_sad:

#1 orangeyskies, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  2. Wolfie Charm

You wouldn't do it even if it felt right marrying your partner? I think marriage is to be decided between partners. Even for straights there are marriages where the parents strongly disagree yet they still find a way to marry.

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to be.

It's legal here I think though... and the people who mattered would go. Even if I never marry I'm ok with it now but I was depressed about it for quite awhile. That and not having kids of my own (giving birth freaks me the hell out so I'm planning on adoption LoL).

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't need your parents' permission. My Dad's family hated my Mom, but he went through with it anyway.

5. Monocle

Out Status:
    Some people
    No, because I will probably get married at some point. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I may have to travel to another state, but it's worth it in my view. I don't understand what your family "not going along with it" has to do with anything though... they're not the ones getting married, lol. They already had their say with their own marriages.

6. BornInTexas

I'm getting married, regardless of my parents wishes.

(IN THE FAR FUTURE, DON'T FREAK OUT!!)

7. SleeplessS

Well..I didn't and still don't believe in marriage, even when I married my now ex-wife. I did it only because it was important to her. But I guess the whole ex part just proves, it's not about the marriage..it's about the couple and love...the paper won't do much to it, neither will the ceremony..

8. Formality

I don't care about getting married. I mean sure, I wouldn't mind having like a little "ceremony" kind of thing to show that this is the person I want to spend the rest of my life with, but I really don't care for religion at all and would NEVER get married in a church. That would mean I'd have to go through the whole process of being baptized and I really am "against religion" anyways so... not to say that people can't choose to be religious if that's what they want. I really just don't want to support it in any way. The only reason for me to ever get married in a church would be to rebel against the conservatives view on LGBT people. I probably wouldn't do it anyways. They can keep their rotten old book written by some wackjob a couple of thousands of years ago, I'll manage fine without it as I have so far.

9. FruitFly

I had a teeny tiny moment of thinking "oh... there goes my church wedding". Although to be fair, I had the whole church wedding rug pulled from under my feet a long time ago. So... yeah.

#9 FruitFly, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  10. orangeyskies

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. I was kinda looking forward to my entire family being there together and being happy. Glad to know I'm not alone in thinking this though :slight_smile:

11. I used to be, but now I know that I'll be able to by the time I find my perfect girl.Go Scotland!

12. Rivers

I think I want to get married. I just need to find the right girl.... I'm sure my parents would support me whatever decision I make (I'm blessed with accepting parents :grin:).

13. Furor Amoris

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know... I am agnostic so church wedding never really appealed to me anyway... But since I'll be living in Japan when I get out of school (it will be the best day ever if Japan legalizes same sex marriage :]) I guess it'll depend on whether my partner wants to move back to the states to get married or not (I'll be the proposing one at any rate, but if she's not up for it the that's fine with me)

14. Dalmatian

I guess we are not talking about the legal marriage, but the ceremony itself?

I'm an atheist, so church wedding is out of question anyway. Although, I love churches, i.e. buildings. So maybe something I'd like would be to get married in a church, but not by a priest.. hmm..
    Anyway, I hope I will get married. Honestly, I don't expect my parents or many from my family to attend. But if I were there with a guy who loves me and with a couple of true friends, I'd be the happiest guy ever :slight_smile: A small wedding is ok; although I did catch myself daydreaming about some elaborate scenarios.. so gay :grin:

15. prism

Your parents seemed neutral to the whole matter, which is common when individuals come out in their teen years because they think it's a phase. Once you reach the point where you want to marry someone, they'll see that you're serious about it.

I'm in a similar situation. My parents weren't 100% convinced either, and they said that sexuality is fluid and changes as you get older. It made me think a lot about my past relationships and whether I wanted to confine myself to the "lesbian" box. It wasn't my goal to convince them; I just wanted them to know what I was going through. We can only hope for our family's support once they see us in a committed relationship. Other than that, it's not your responsibility to convince them.

Hope this helped!

16. Nyanko

Well...my mom got married without even telling my grandma. So my grandma has never liked my dad. Ever. :L I have a feeling my mom is going to react in the same way if I do get married without her being there.

You can say I'm one of those girls that's looking forward to the day. But if my (future) partner doesn't want to get married, I'm cool with that too.

17. Hexagon

If your family won't support you, then they don't deserve you.

18. photoguy93

Why can't you get married? If you go to a different state, you'll be married! If your family can't accept it, then why worry about them? Bring along your friends and the people who treat you like family!
    I know we all can't be married yet, but I'm still very optimistic!

19. steelygreye

I might want to get married, but it'd be because of the legal and tax benefits you get from it. It would be so much easier for a partner.

I would also want a religious ceremony, and there are churches that are friendly to gay people anyways. But if my partner had a different religion than me, we might try to do something unique based off of mixing both of our faiths and cultures in the wedding.

But of course, this is all what-ifs, saying that I am fourteen years old and single. xD

20. Ticklish Fish

like fell out arranged marriage?