1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice! Cute (possibly gay) guy sitting next to me

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Akatosh, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Akatosh

We're both working on school stuff. I pulled a chair next to him when I got here, and I'm trying to think of some way to begin conversation. So far, we have the same water bottle, and we both have computers. He's cute, and is dressed fashionably for the weather. Dunno. This is how it works, right?

2. UndercoverGypsy

Well, you have to start somewhere, eh? Even if it is waterbottles and computers...

3. leer

if he dresses smart ask him about the cloths
    how much?
    were he got them ?

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    By same water bottle, I assume you each have the same brand or style. If you are sharing a bottle, well, things are moving along nicely I'd say!

Clothes (where did you get that coat?, etc) might be a conversational starter. So might the computer he has. Obviously, this works best if he has something "good" like a MacBook, or high end PC. "What a neat laptop!" sounds pretty stupid applied to a laptop that was clearly a clearance special at Office Depot....

5. Akatosh

I actually really like his shoes. I don't go shopping ever, but I would probably buy those shoes if I were.

I think this type of situation poses more risk for gay people. It's not easy to be sure of someone's sexuality, and on top of that, there aren't any gay tv shows/movies that teach homosexual dating norms. There's a lot of straight interactions in movies where a guy strikes up convo with a woman, which are honestly hard to watch c they seem so forced. I guess there will always be an element of awkward phoniness in dating.. I just have to get used to it.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you are really daring, you might let him see you browse Empty Closets. Even if he doesn't know this site, the top of each page makes it pretty clear what this is about. If he's gay, he might be inspired to start a conversation.

7. derrik

maybe talk about classes you both take

Talk about the teachers

Ask what he does in his spare time

8. Akatosh

My computer has already died, and I'm just sitting here drinking coffee and playing on my phone. I left my power cord at home :frowning2:

Hopefully it becomes obvious to him that I'm stalling. He put headphones in and is in his own world now.

I will admit that I read Craigslist missed connections; I don't know what qualifies for a missed connection, but to me, it means you either started a convo / wanted to start a convo, and you could detect a mutual attraction. How many people actually read those? If you read them, what would you think/do if someone wrote one about you? I don't like the ones that are purely sexual, and I definitely do not understand how people have sex with each other and not know the other persons name/phone number. Passiveness in the gay dating world, whoop :frowning2:

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, you don't know if he's gay. Good clothes? Some straight men have some fashion sense. Or he might have a girlfriend who dresses him.

It's impossible to sure of a person's sexuality unless he tells you. Even straights have that problem, although the one thing they have in their favor is a large number of other straights.

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    start somewhere, anywhere.

11. Robellious

Say hi.. and lead into how is ur day and stuff like that. lol

12. BudderMC

Advice?

Close EC and turn to your side. Start talking. Be yourself. Smile. :slight_smile: