1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bullying and technology

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Iowan1976, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Iowan1976

I am starting this thread because I am sure I was not the only one who was bullied, or faced being bullied, during my school years. I was lucky though as I could escape to my room after school because I was in school as technology was just starting to become available, but it wasn't used daily like it is today. Or phones didn't have unlimited text messaging, so you needed to text people wisely.

I am wondering how the people in their teens and 20's deal with this issue today, especially since it seems like you wouldn't be able to ever escape the torment with facing not only a bully in school, but also online, or through text messaging.

2. boysdontcry

Bullying is certainly a problem at my high school, and for me. Online harassment, like you said, is hard to escape, but it's also easier to defend yourself from. On the other hand, rumours spread like wildfire, and you never think people are /actually/ shoved into lockers or given swirlies until it happens to you.

3. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bullying was a huge problem for me throughout my school career. I turned to video games when I was just about to finish 4th grade and since then I've been using them as a coping mechanism. A very very unhealthy coping mechanism, I'm afraid to leave my house because I'm afraid of people. It doesn't help that a few of the people that bullied me live on my block.

Edit: There are a lot of nameless bullies online too, many forums and online games have people that won't hold back due to their anonymity. It never does end, at least for me it hasn't.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I still have some problems with online harassment. Some people that do not like my "Choice" of being gay will send me things saying that I am going to hell and that I should get conversion therapy. I've gotten to the point now where I can ignore it.

When I was in high school, I didn't have as much of a problem with it. I had some problems, but not too many. I had more problems at school than online. I just kept my head down in the hallway and pushed my way through. If somebody tried to physically assault me, then they had problems. I would fight back if people tried to assault me.

I guess that the biggest thing is that if somebody is harassing you (Online or in person), then tell a trusted adult. Even if nothing can be done at that time, just having somebody else know what is going on can help. If there are more problems in the future, then that person can say that you had problems with them before.

5. Convoy

Learn some code and infiltration techniques and once they're messed up pretty good there isn't much they can say to myself to mess with me.

WAT, you call me NEWB; HXORZ'S bE cOmInG tO gEt yOu! :lol:

However it wasn't as bad when I was younger, looking at my little sister I'm a bit worried for her; she doesn't have a clue on networking safety and stuff like using your real name and sharing information can really get you in a whole load of trouble.

I can get how it gets to people, but I just say ignore it all. It is after all avoidable, so do such. I had worse things going on in my youth so little internet teasing didn't bother me, anything that really bothered me existed in the real world.

Kid's should really be taught how to deal with things and other people, unfortunately our education system isn't really set up to do that properly; it assumes that kid's will mutually bond in any environment, even if that only consists of a few separated classes based on arbitrary decisions like name or location. Not saying that you shouldn't be put outside of your comfort zone, but just trying to beat something into someone who isn't receptive to the ideas is not going to work.

Kid's really need to taught on interest and pushed a bit in school, then given good resources to fall back on; you don't succeed at everything, generally the first time around. The system assumes that parents can do that but realistically most parent's aren't capable of that. Heck my parents never learned algebra and after about third grade became utterly useless for me.

6. JuiceBox

I dont think I have ever been cyber bullied... But physically yes.... I had to be pulled out of high school (Side note: I have my GED) actually due to the fact it was getting worse.. the point where bloody noses turned into bruises all over my body.. most people at my old school thought I had psychological problems due to the fact I don't talk much... And well as any bully would they saw me as an easy target and went for it... I hope college will "be" different..

7. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I am truly, and honestly, terrified for this future generation coming up due to the advancements in technology and the societal shift with social media. Especially when it comes to bullying.

I've personally never had anyone cyberbully me, though I've been harassed a lot throughout my school years. Never any physical bullying but psychological. I used to sulk and never used to stand up for myself in middle school, which is when the worst of it happened, but I've learned to develop some confidence as I've gotten older. Now I don't even tolerate bullying, no matter if it's towards me or a classmate or whoever.

I'm glad that I stay fairly anonymous on the internet, sans my close friends and best friend who I have added to nearly all of my social media accounts... I don't trust anyone else. I most likely have less than 10 of my classmates on my FB friends list. It definitely prevents anything negative from occurring.