1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I alone in this regard?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caudex, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Caudex

Caudex Guest

So far, I know of three main types of gay guys.
    1: Masculine, "straight-acting" (I put in in quotes because it's a charged term), men. These men are masculine and seem the picture of women-loving if defined in a stereotypically personality-sexuality way.
    Example: Neil Patrick Harris
    2: Gay guys who like effeminate stuff but are fairly masculine. Example: The Lumberjack guy from the Lumberjack song.
    3: Gay guys who like effeminate stuff and are effeminate. Example: Wickydkewl, Randy from Futurama, etc.

But I seem to be a fourth type, and I was wondering if anyone else feels like this. My mannerisms, appearance and vocalizations are pretty effeminate (I get called called ma'am on the phone all the time, I say stuff like, "haaaayyyy," and my face just doesn't look masculine.) But in terms of interests and clothing, I'm 100% cisgender. I like math and science and run away as fast as I can at the sight of modern art, I hate music, my wardrobe is comprised of a hoodie, seven pairs of jeans, and seven t-shirts with stupid slogans on them. I don't love most sports, but I follow tennis to some degree and I avidly follow professional track and field. And I dislike the idea of "beauty products," I just don't see the point and I don't really ever want to use them.

Is there anyone else on here like me? I don't want to be alone in the soul-crushingly big universe…

2. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Masc guy here, i do know of some one who is like you... he works with me...he's one of my financial advisors... on the phone i swear its a chick and his face is very fem too... he hates being called a chick though. he too hates make up and is really good with numbers.. hes gay too so dont sweat it you aint alone...

3. LD579

Well, there are definitely more than just 4 'types' of gay guys. I'm neither stereotypically masculine or feminine. I'm just... quirky. In that regard, there could be guys who look either masculine, feminine, or neither, or both, and guys who like stuff that's masculine, feminine, or neither, or both. Taking into account all possibilities with this crude estimation, there'd be 16 types of gay guys.

I wouldn't pigeon-hole gay guys into types if I were you. People notice the effeminate people, and people notice the masculine people, but the in-betweens are there, but they're just not given as much attention. It's likely there's a general equal split between the 'types' of gay guys, if you will.

After all, variation exists for straight people, as I'm sure you know. The same can be said for gay people.

4. Dalmatian

Heh, so, phone voice aside (which is in any case more of a quirk than anything), taking into account your wardrobe, art interests, views on cosmetics, you are.... a guy :slight_smile:

A guy with an analytical mind :slight_smile: Loving math and science, you need to analyze, to make lists, to compartmentalize, to find the common themes and differences, to classify.

When it comes to sports, you like some but are not crazed over all sport.

So.. you are:
    - a guy
    - left-brained
    - clear on what you like
    - gay

Can your analytical mind see the independence of the fourth characteristic? :slight_smile:

5. LoveMusicPoetry

Is it really necessary to catagorise? You're just you...

6. fuzzywuzzy

This.

I for one don't fall into any of those typical categories OP mentioned. My way of talking is feminine but my voice is not that high-pitched. My wardrobe isn't full of clothes and I like most of the stuff other guys do (except sports). I don't mind beauty products, I'm even considering buying some when money allows me. The way I stand and talk again aren't really masculine. I'm neither too feminine nor too masculine, yet I am myself and I'm proud of what I am. You should be too.

7. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just the fact that on this website alone, there are so many people who say they feel outside of the norm / stereotypes of the lgbtq community, which is in itself is outside of the norm of society at large, should show that we are just as diverse in our interests and personal expressions as straight people. As mentioned above, it is the extremes that get noticed and latched on to by people, both within and outside of a community.

You're not alone in this regard, not anymore than any other person is alone in their individuality :slight_smile:

8. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I wasn't trying to pigeonhole, I was trying to see if I'm unusual. Those are the stereotypical types, and I was curious. Sorry if it came out wrong.

9. RainbowMan

Now that you make me think about it, I've always considered myself masculine.

However, there are some traits that I have that are "stereotypical gay":

1) I love musical theatre.
    2) Modern art doesn't make me run the other way, it makes me run towards it :slight_smile:

However, as for the other traits you mention:

1) I love baseball. The joy of my life is watching a live baseball game (which I get to do next Monday...can't wait!!!!)
    2) Math and science are my thing. If I can influence kids to go into a STEM career, that's even better.
    3) I work in IT, a predominantly male industry (for example, my team is now exclusively male. I'm not sure why this is, really - but it's pervasive throughout the industry)

10. Ticklish Fish

WAIT.
    what the hell?

modern art has been thumb down by society so much already. straight or gay..

like art and music and theater and PE and special ed department is one of those budgt cut places in most schools :/

11. Dalmatian

I don't understand this either and I'm not saying it should be so or anything, but here's the fact: I literally don't know any female IT expert. And I've been active in this for years now.

Sorry for being off topic.