1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out in high school? specifically girls

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TKM, Mar 26, 2013.

1. TKM

TKM

Were/are any of you out in high school, right now I can't even imagine being completely "out" where if someone asked if I was gay I would say yes. A bunch of guys in my school are out but not any girls. Are any of you out and what is it like? did you get a bunch of hate for it, because all the guys that are out at my school are all loved by everyone they don't really get any homophobic shit they probably do I'm not saying they don't get harassed at all, it's high school and there are a lot of stupid people,but they dont get harassed as much as I think a girl would, you know am I the only one that thinks this? Anyways I always thought I would never want to be out in high school but now I'm thinking "oh my god I have to spend three more years in this place, can i really hold on to this secret for three more years!"

2. Fiddledeedee

I came out at the end of Year 9, which is (age-wise) the British equivalent of Grade 8, and is just before we begin two years of GCSEs, after which we can leave school. I had told a few trusted friends, and then I deliberately told a gossip who did me the favour of spreading it around all 350 people in our yeargroup in a couple of days. People asked me loads and loads of questions for about a week, and then it was just common knowledge and nobody cared.

I have not experienced any bullying, homophobic comments, or even nasty looks for being bi, which I count myself very lucky for. You do hear slurs, some girls bullied an autistic girl through convincing her to go out with a girl for a day (messing with her emotionally) and then claiming she was now a lesbian although she neither identified as one nor wanted to, and it was at school that I first heard the term gay but I thought it meant "boy with bad and/or feminine fashion sense". However, my school is incredibly accepting of LGB (still working on the T, I think, though nobody has come out as trans* and that does change things) people themselves.

Girl-specific? No idea. I'm not around school peeps much any more, but I can't say I've previously noticed more or less acceptance/slurs/other LGBT stuff among guys or girls.

3. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I haven't announced my sexuality and/or gender in school yet, but I do wear a rainbow bracelet, I look "queer", my best friend is pansexual, and I know of a ton of bisexual kids in my year. My school isn't exactly the most accepting, but everyone keeps hush about it, so I don't know how'd they react. I haven't been harassed or insulted for anything related to my gender/sexuality.

Now, if I were to come out as trans at school, I know it'd cause some trouble. I don't plan on coming out about anything; especially since this is my final year and I'll be graduating in November, so there's no point. I don't want to create a burden on myself right before I leave, it'd be pointless.

I also haven't seen anything gender-specific regarding LGBT acceptance seeing as that nobody in my school is exactly... out and about.

#3 Oddish, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2013
  4. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm out in high school, and I go to a Catholic school lol. I'm the only gay guy who's out, but there are several lesbian girls who are. I do get some bad repercussions, like last year I was attacked, I get made fun of a lot, tons of rumors like that I once put a cucumber in my ass, a terrible social stigma, loss of friends, I don'f fit in at all, someone wrote on the bathroom wall "I love Wiener -" then my name last week, but someone erased it Idk how cause it was pen. But I can be myself and that in itself is soooo freeing, and I've made some girlfriends cause of it lol:slight_smile:

5. Mysz

Judge the atmosphere of your school if you're still deciding, though all in all it feels freer to be out. I am not wholly out- a few people in my school know- but having it planned already feels good. I wish I had come out earlier. Hope you are happy with your decision, whatever it will be!
    I know a gay guy in my school that gets a little bit of harassment, but he has tons of supporters. Likewise, I know a lesbian and a bisexual girl that are out and have tons of support. High school kids aren't all so ignorant as the stereotype goes ^_^

6. worriedWardrobe

I'm completely out at school, and I only get crap about it from one person. Unfortunately, I have to sit next to him in one class, but I've seen him punched for calling me a f****t.

I definitely do not regret coming out

7. I'm planning to come out soon. (Currently in fourth year)

8. Furor Amoris

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm having the same problem seeing as I'm going into 9th grade next year. I want to come out because I want to be able to openly have a girlfriend and maybe been take her to my prom one day. At the same time (This main worry depends on where you live), I live in southern VA where everyone is Christian and it'll be a lot less socially acceptable to be gay. I should know seeing as gay marriage is a hot topic and is discussed a lot in class. I've had to listen to people's every objection, either the bible or how it's just plain wrong, and hear people call us freaks. It has really hit my psyche hard and there will be days I'm really depressed. But at the end of this year I plan to come out in a really big way. Next time we have a gay marriage discussion in my English class, I'm going to stand up face them and rant about how much they have offended me throughout the school year. I'm tired of bowing to social pressure and I've decided to ignore what ever happens because I can take care of myself and have already come out to those who matter.
    I suggest you try coming out as bisexual first. That's how I did it a never got a backwards glance (a guy asked me if my ex was hot... Like WTF!). That should help break the ice to your peers a bit easier then doing it all at once. Kind of like eating a mini twix in two bites instead of one. Hope my situation helped you (either that or I just vented on your post, whoops).
    -Good luck
    Maddie

9. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was forced out by my ex-friends in 9th grade. So my whole school knows my orientation. They were very accepting. Their plan backfired and I thank them for that.
    Theogonist, maybe it was one of those erasable pens.

10. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wasn't out in high school. It just wasn't a possibility for me. What I can tell you is about a few of the other people who were out at my high school. There was one gay guy, five lesbians, and one bi girl who were pretty much known throughout our school as being LGBT. Two of the lesbians dated and even went to prom together. None of the out people received any crap from anyone as far as I know. Straight guys were cool with the gay guy, but he mostly hung out with the other gay girls. The girls didn't have problems either. In fact, people were pretty cool and supportive of the gay people at our school in general. Knowing that, it seems weird that I didn't come out myself, but I had personal reasons not to. So I guess to sum it up, being gay at my high school was no big deal even though there were a very limited number of people out. I mean, in a school with 2,000 people, only 7 were gay? I don't think so haha.

I know how hard it is to hold onto something this big and to keep it all inside, but I guess it really depends on you and your specific situation if you want to decide whether to come out or not. Good luck!

11. ButterflyMay

Well I'm in highschool now and my I'm in the GSA, which at my school is basically like writing IM GAY on your forehead. All my friends know just from stuff I mention and anyone who asks will get the honest truth. I've never been made fun of for it, but at the same time, Im not the kind of person who will take any shit from people, so that might just be why. I know some people at my school have been bullied pretty badly for it, which kind of surprised me, but all around i do think that people are getting to be more accepting.

12. I'm completely out in high school and everyone is perfectly cool with it. I'm pretty much an example for closeted guys since I'm openly gay in school.

13. orangeyskies

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in high school and I'm out. I've been out for a few months and don't get hate from anyone except my family (which I expected). I don't regret it. :icon_bigg

I get a lot of questions though, since I've dated a few guys before. One of them was gay as well and we covered each other. :badgrin:

14. TKM

TKM

Wow! Im so shocked that all of you had pretty positive expeiriences, and even though some of you were made fun of for being gay your still happy With the decision you made to come out, I'm still trying to think through the pros and cons, a lot of my friends or really just people I hang out with in classes I don't have any real friends in, are very conservative so I guess I am just worried about their reactions, I also have a bunch of teachers I really like and really like me and I'm afraid coming out might change the way they see me in a negative way, all the classic worries. I hope I have the courage to come out soon because it's really killing me inside.

15. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Not that bad. Sure, I've gotten rude remarks, even from teachers. But the nasty tongues will talk, regardless of the setting. You just have to assume that everyone is ignorant (as this is most often the case) and embrace the open-minded people who don't want to be. Of course, my having a reputation for calling people out and not taking shit from people who aren't worth my time certainly hasn't been a disadvantage. Just keep your head up and stay externally strong and you shouldn't get too much opposition. Most people will accept you and just having ways to deal with the people who don't is the most important. "Prepare for the worst, hope for the best" kinda thing. Best of luck. :slight_smile:

16. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I've been out since the 7th grade, so yes, I'm out in high school, and nobody has ever made one single rude remark. In middle school, people have said things, but in high school, nothing bad is ever spoken because if you walk into my school, it's like a gay pride parade everyday. My school has a little over 300 students, if I was to estimate... there's probably at least 100 bisexual girls, and a few lesbians, and I haven't seen any gay guys yet though. My school is accepting of it, they don't care. My teachers knew, the students knew, nobody was ever rude about it.

17. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im male but nevertheless, I was out since just before my 16th. Got sick of people assuming (correctly :eusa_clap) that i was gay. It built to the point where everybody seemed to be asking or talking about it. I wasnt bullied per say, some of the younger guys found it funny, but i could always get them back

18. Hexagon

I came out as gay in school(before transitioning) and I heard a few rumours, nothing more. However, the staff were a different story. The headmistress basically came up to me and whispered "I know what you've been telling people, and these things aren't appropriate around young children. You're not to say anything more about this." I said something along the lines of "bitch"

19. charlieswife

I was partly out, and didn't deny it if asked..but i was in a teen magazine at 15 about being gay and proud blah..so after that the rest of the school, and plenty others.. a bit of a tough time,maybe due to being in girls school in mid 90's..but hey real friends stuck by me, some others got over it,some never did.. but it was all ok in the end..i made it through..a others will too. Its tough..but we have to be tougher!! :slight_smile: