1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia makes me SO ANGRY!!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonderingdave01, Mar 26, 2013.

1. I don't know if it's only me but homophobia just pisses me off. I've heard the only "everyone's entitled their own opinion" thing but homophobia isn't just an opinion. People have been disowned by their parents, bullied, killed, beaten, and other kinds of physical and emotional harm just because of this stupid little "opinion."

Am I the only one is personally pissed off whenever I encounter homophobia? The people around me seem so mellow and chill when the experience it. It just stupid.

How do you react when you experience homophobia, or read about it. There is a character in a book I read who said gays are "sinful" and "faggots" and it ruined the story for me.

2. BornInTexas

If I see it happening with my eyes, I'll do something about it. It doesn't matter if it is to me or to someone else who isn't even gay, I'll dropkick the fool. It makes me just as fuming angry. It's bullying, and I will not tolerate it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all.

Now, if it is fictional bullying, it rustles my nerves a little, but it's only a story. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Naren

I see homophobia I try to turn the conversation away, or if it's one person to reason with them. Otherwise BURN THE HERETICS

4. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

Ugh...people are so mean and ignorant. Makes me just as angry, kid. Especially considering that my father is one of them.

5. worriedWardrobe

I don't tolerate it. I will politely remind the person that it is not okay to say certain things the first time, but after that I throw them to the wolves.

6. Dalmatian

I get majorly pissed off with my friend who just blatantly spits racial, sexist, nationalistic and other slurs. The thing is, I don't get him. He's capable of saying that gay people should stay locked in their own flats and not say anything about their sexuality. And then within fifteen minutes he will in a caring and friendly manner ask me if I'm ok, how I'm doing and so on (I'm out to him) or talk about another friend of his who is gay. He loves individuals, hates groups. So idiotic. So annoying.

7. RedLight

I can't say I've personally encountered it myself(directed towards me I mean) but I can tell you if I had or if I ever do it won't be pretty. Yes, by the way it does make me angry when I hear people talk about it. I remember one time when I was visiting my family in DR. Some how the subject? As brought up and I just remember sitting there while they made jokes and talked about how disgusting it was, and just thinking to myself "God, I know I'm not the best person in the world, and I know I've been wondering but just please don't let me be gay." Now of course that was more sorrow than anger but since that day I have no patience or tolerance for that kind of thing. Mostly because I just remember hating myself for laughing, and for not saying anything.

8. nikom87

It really wears me down. I actually get irate.

People who say that they are "entitled to their opinion" need to realize that those opinions can and will be challenged. One is not exempt from argument or labeling as a homophobic/racist/sexist/etc. bigot just because its an "opinion". How can you even have an opinion about something like being gay. We are what we are, its not up for debate.

9. Stripe101

It bothers me when people call things they don't like gay. The other day I heard a kid say, "Those pants are gay!"

I went up to him and said, "Actually, those pants are inanimate objects. Unless you believe that you are living in another universe in which pants do have brains, they have no emotions or personality traits of any kind. Also, there are two definitions of gay. Happy and Homosexual. As I stated earlier, pants can develop those traits. Next time, say something more creative or fun. Because, according to your knowledge, pants can have emotions and or a sexual orientation. Good day!

That kid didn't even know what hit him.

10. rob625

It makes me raging angry...most of my family are homophobes and whenever i see someone getting bullied for being gay i stick up for that person it gets me fuming, "everyones entitled to an opinion" but homophobia is taking things a little too far there are way too many in my school that i dont really want to come out fully until after high schools done.

11. Gen

Gen

Hmmmm, on a personal level it doesnt bother me. Homophobia, Racism, Sexism, etc. Essentially because on a psychological level, I know that passing hate on one another is unfortunately just something that should be expected (Not necessarily tolerated, but expected). It manifests itself in many different forms, but ultimately all hate stems from the some mental reasonings. So if I simply overhear something offensive or prejudice from anyone, even if I fall into that group of people, I really couldnt care less.

However, I am known for my "verbal bitch slaps", as they've been called, to the people that decide to insult and prey on individuals in my presences. I'm pretty relentless. I dont get pissed or hit them, I keep my composure... Their might be some emotional or self esteem issues after I'm done, but oh well. I just recommend that if you are going to antagonize anyone, you just really shouldnt do it in front of me.

12. Bent

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jeez all of you guys that have the courage to stand up and say something makes me feel like I should be saying something too..
    The only people I experience homophobic comments from are my male friends and people at my job, but from what I can tell they're relatively jokingly (key on relatively).
    I don't say anything though, I just kinda laugh it off and hope they just leave it alone to try to prevent conflict.
    I really don't see anybody at my school getting bullied for it, though I am sure it still happens, but I definitely here things being "gay" etc. all the time but I guess I don't say anything to prevent myself from being under the gun for saying something.
    But regardless, homophobic questions do make me quite mad, especially comments on somebody's hair, dress, voice etc. and people automatically assuming this is a correlation to their sexuality :bang:

13. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

It makes me extremely angry. To the point where I often avoid reading things with trigger warnings for homophobia, since it's just not worth ruining my mood for the day.

And people may be entitled to their opinion, but no one is entitled to their hatred or their ignorance, and more often than not, that's what homophobia is. I like what maverick said a while ago about the topic (I can't find the original post): "I believe in freedom of expression, but I also believe in merit of expression... I don't think people are entitled to an opinion. You earn an opinion by proving yourself a rational and quasi-compassionate human being. Otherwise, no. You can STFU as far as I'm concerned."

14. Oddish

Oddish Guest

The whole "entitled to your opinion" statement is an excuse for assholes to be ignorant, and have some "justifiable" reason for being an asshole. There's no condonable reason for homophobia, whatsoever. It infuriates me to hear about it, and witness it. My father is one, but he's too dense to bother changing his mind. I wish it didn't exist. I wish intolerance towards anything didn't exist.

15. Devious Kitty

You are certainly not the only one. It bothers me as well. I don't buy into the whole postmodernism, cultural relativism, and "everyone's entitled to their own opinion" sort of nonsense. Sure "everyone is entitled to their own opinion," but you aren't entitled to your own facts. And the fact is that things like sexism, homophobia and fundamentalist religious views (among a long list of other things) are simply harmful to people whether someone is willing to accept it or not. Lets stop the nonsense excuses and red herrings. No one lives in a bubble. The things we believe affect our behaviors, and our behaviors affect others. Its simply unrealistic (and ultimately harmful) to think otherwise.

16. theMaverick

As I saw on Facebook today "I hate the word homophobia. It is not a phobia; you are not scared. You are an asshole."

I do not tolerate bigotry well at all and will cut someone down and out of my life in a red hot second for anything close to homophobia.

17. Vesper

I've been desensitized to homophobia in a way, since I frequent websites in which virulently anti-gay rhetoric is displayed on a nearly constant basis for the purposes of public awareness. However, I feel detached when browsing these sites, since the subjects are people I don't know and their comments aren't directed at me. If a friend or friend's friend made a homophobic comment on my Facebook page, I'd unceremoniously un-friend and/or block him or her, but not before giving that person a piece of my mind. Luckily, this has yet to happen.

It'd be very different if I were to witness a display of homophobia in person, and I have no idea how I would act. I'd be conflicted between feelings of wanting to argue and/or stand up in defense of the target of the hatred, and feelings of wanting to avoid conflict and danger to my person.

18. If someone says something homophobic, racist, sexist, or anything otherwise derogatory to me, they are dead in my mind. Never shall I speak a word to them again. But I'd never react; that never gets me anywhere. No-one has ever directed homophobia at me, because I'm a very powerful and well connected person.