1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was I the only person that lost friends due to the "turn facebook red" day??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BradThePug, Mar 26, 2013.

?

Did you lose friends because of the turn facebook red day?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. No

52 vote(s)
    89.7%
  1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, Today was the turn facebook red for marriage equality day. Well, I did this, and I ended up having to ban 5 people because they were arguing with me and calling me a "fag" on my photos.

One of the people banned was my former youth leader (and second cousin). He did not call me names, but he instead called me an abomination. I finally made the right decision and banned him. Tomorrow, his number will be blocked on my phone. If he does not support me, the I don't need him in my life.

So, did anybody else have things happen like this?

2. redstormrising

no loss of friends here. happy to say a good number of my friends also changed their photos. the only comments i received were positive ones.

3. OH when was this?? wow this is the first time i've heard of it... oh wait, it's probably cause i have adblock on for everything in fb lol.

but aww i'm very sorry to hear about that D: but at least you weeded out the bad people! three cheers, hooraaay

4. Oddish

Oddish Guest

This is why I hardly ever use fb lol.

5. Nyanko

I went on FB today, but I didn't hear about this. o:

6. Romi

I was actually surprised by the sheer number of people on my friends list that had changed their pictures and were posting FOR marriage equality. While many are fighting for their own rights, some were straight, christian, what have you and I was so blessed and inspired to see their support.

And if you lost friends, as crappy as that is, you have to think about it like this....if you lose a friend for being true to yourself then they were never a friend worth having in the first place. That's all there is to it.

<3

7. theMaverick

I went all red on facebook, and all I've heard is support. I suspect more than a few people saw it and definitely didn't agree, but no one has said anything to me.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most of my friends were really supportive, but because of this, those who were not supportive went on a posting rampage... it was not pretty at all.

Yep, this is how I look at it. It just sucks though. Especially when the one person was family..

9. Vesper

Luckily, I don't seem to have any (vocal) anti-gay friends, so no losses here. My facebook News Feed is pretty much bleeding at this point.

10. Kat kanu

I dont think I did if I did oh well their loss

11. xashesxx

xashesxx Guest

No, at least none that I know of. I actually had my best friend, who usually stays quiet about all of the equality stuff, come out in full support. She didn't name names, but put up a post about how she doesn't normally put up her stance on these things on facebook, but when her friend's happiness was at stake, she wanted to speak out. Thankfully I have some awesome people I know. My facebook page has been slowly turning red all day. Actually a few people I didn't think supported gay rights have changed their pictures. I think people are starting to realize that we won't sit back and give up on our happiness.

12. lovelydear

Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not on Facebook much, so I couldn't have known. Plus, I haven't added any friends on there quite yet.

And you are right- if someone isn't supportive of you, harasses you, etc. for whatever reason, you can take them out of your life, who cares what they think? They're horrible for even judging you for your stance on this issue and calling you an abomination. Literally, if anyone is toxic to you, go ahead and leave them!

Anyway, if I were more active on that site and participated, I probably would've gotten harassed online and offline. Some people would be happy with me and some really wouldn't.

13. Monocle

Out Status:
    Some people
    Happy to say that I only had to block someone I barely knew, who wrote on his wall ye olde "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" BS and posted an anti-gay pic. Nearly everyone I knew was sporting a red and pink equal sign!

14. SergeantRed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh snap, I wish I did it :/ my facebook has been deactivated for 2 months now.

15. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope! I changed my cover and nobody has said nothing.
    The awesome thing is that a few of my friends and my boyfriend went red as well!

16. RedLight

Nope, I was actually surprised at the number of my friends who went red too. (Not many of course but it's nice to see who's who.)

I'm sorry about all of the negative comments on your part though, I did have one friend who didn't agree with me, but I decided she was harmless when she said she just wanted it to be over and for people not yo care what other people do or shove their beliefs down peoppes throats.
    You did the right thing by banning them it's not cool but st least now you know who that person really is.

17. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just happened to notice my friend count went down by one. No one said anything negative. Many of my friends who are out were overwhelmed by the support. They kept thanking the people in their lives who they never realized supported them. I personally counted and had over 100 friends (out of 500) come out in support of marriage equality. There were probably at least a few I missed.

18. LoveMusicPoetry

What? How do you actually do this?

19. Naren

I didn't even know about it lol. No friends lost, though I am posting many pro-LGBT statuses to annoy the hardcore catholics I have added.

20. LoveMusicPoetry

I have put it as my cover photo. It was playing up and wouldn't let me change it to my profile pic, but it can stay as my cover photo because I never had one on anyway.