1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of posting this as my Facebook status

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hkboy93, Mar 27, 2013.

1. hkboy93

Just a little background on me first, I am a Canadian originally born in Hong Kong. I am now in second year University in Canada. I spent Grade 10-12 at an International School in Beijing (only foreigners allowed) and made/ got to know a lot of American friends. Most of you probably know about the whole gay marriage drama right now in the U.S. So I was planning on posting this as my FB status

"To the Americans who are still anti-gay marriage, It is time to put down the bible and be more socially progressive already. It's been legal in Canada nation wide since 2005 as well as a number of European countries. The sky has not fallen, "traditional marriage" still exists, gays have not overrun or overwhelmed the country, and gays have not turned anyone straight, gay. For those of you who say "It's against my religion or the bible", keep in mind that the bible does not stipulate the law and that you are trying to impose your religious beliefs on others. No one is forcing you to marry the person of the same gender so do not deny the right and will of those who want to marry the same gender. You can have the right to freedom of religion, but the LGBT community and others also have the right of freedom from religion. Also those arguing "think of the children" should look into the mirror for upbringing a child to be intolerant, you can choose to be ignorant and full of hatred, but you cannot choose to be gay as they were born this way. If you do believe in a God, then God also created gays. Science has proven there is no harm to a child's well being having two mothers or fathers. For those of you who disagree with me and still want to deny equal rights for all, please un-friend me as I have no desire to be friends with bigots. Rant over"

BTW, those friends in Beijing know me for being homophobic back then before I accepted myself last month, and also people here in Canada socially know me as being more Conservative.

Should I tone down my rant or make any changes on it? Any input will be great and if everything goes I want this as my status by end of tmr as the U.S. supreme court will hear about DOMA.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

2. Alexander69

I say post it!

3. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
  4. PinkFluff

Thirdeded.

5. Crystine

Crystine Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    it's perfect :slight_smile: good luck and please let us know how your fb-friends reacted :grin:

6. Aielar

I definitely think you should post it - and if anyone reacts negatively, then just unfriend them. This is a very well written speech and deserves to be shared :slight_smile:

7. RedLight

Do it, and let us know what happens. It's time to MAKE SOME NOISE! Make them understand!

8. ReyJ

A very awesome way of putting it- I say you should post this :slight_smile:

9. silkfrog1292

10. Mysz

Share how it goes! :slight_smile:

11. DanD

Definitely make the post, and please keep us in the loop as to the response(s). It's very positive for the LGBT community, which, although only a small step, can only be a good move.

12. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

13. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

doooo it. one of my friends posted something similarly and she was like "to those who attach religion to it, i'm a christian with a strong faith and nothing has ever entered my mind about the matter except absolute equality." she got like 500 likes and no one even tried to troll. i was impressed.

14. I wouldn't post this on Facebook. Facebook is not the place for opinion or ranting, unfortunately. You will just cause rage unfriends and aggressive responses. I usually delete people for expressing any sort of strong opinion on Facebook anyway, regardless of subject matter. It's just not the place; Facebook is a light hearted social network, not a platform for heated discussion. It just doesn't work in that sense.

15. Chickenlover

...trees and rocks and rocks and trees and WATER!
    I say do it! Tell us how it goes!

16. hkboy93

17. Ticklish Fish

18. hkboy93

And I also think this can be a tiny step for me coming out as basically only 1 person knows so far that I'm not straight

19. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  20. sugarcubeigloo