1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My boss outed me to a known homophobic client

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sinopaa, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, this is going to be kind of long, so bear with me. I work as a direct caregiver to handicapped and special needs people. My job is to go into their homes and help them try to live as normal a life as possible through assistance. I am officially "out of the closet" to everyone at work except this one client who has a brain injury. The reason I have not come out to him is that he is racist, homophobic, and a chauvinist. The best way to sum up his attitude is to say he would fit in very well at Westboro Baptist Church. When I first started working with him he would only say negative things about others to himself or in his home. When we were out in the community he pretended to be nice. Since I only had a two hour shift with him once a week I did not have that hard of a time managing his negativity.

Fast forward to four years later. He has tried multiple times to commit suicide throughout the years and has became increasingly negative to the point that he has no social filter. His smoking and drinking habits have deteriorated his health to where he is now also on oxygen. Needless to say he blames the world for his problems and hates everything in it. The other staff had enough of his negativity and have dropped him; thus increasing my work hours with him from two to five, as well as adding him as a Friday shift to my schedule. I could handle two hours; but ten hours a week with Archie Bunker cranked to eleven is very mentally draining and I too now wanted out. However, my boss has denied my request to leave my client on two separate occasions on the basis that "I am one of the few people who could work with him and provide him stability. If I left him he would downward spiral into suicide again which would not be in his best interests.". Basically my boss was strong arming me through guilt to continue working with this client. He encouraged me to "understand" how hard the clients life is and to "try to continue to do my job."

I have really tried to be understanding these last 2 months; but I simply can not work with him anymore. Having to be in "guy mode" to such a high degree, on top of working that long with such a negative person was taking a toll on me mentally. I had enough and went to the coordinator (who is higher than my boss) and explained the situation. The coordinator said that she would find me a replacement and that she would tell the client that I had to leave due to circumstances outside of my control. The coordinator also said to not worry about my boss as she would explain to him that as a trans* it was not in the best interest that I work with this particular client anymore. I requested that she specifically tell my boss not to mention that I was trans* to the client in any way. I've known this client for so long that even the thought of me being trans* or gay would send him into an alcohol driven depression.

When he found out that one of my fellow co-workers was gay he fired the person on the spot and ended up in the hospital from over-drinking. He felt guilty letting "one of those people" into his life and was upset that "a fag defiled his home". This was over a year ago; so seeing how his mental capacity has further dwindled since then I feared for his safety if he even heard word of such a thing. I wanted to leave the client thinking I was pulled for being over-hours. He could cope with that much better than a "trans* bombshell". While he was a complete jerk I still felt that as a DSP it was my job to leave him in the best mental health possible. That and I somewhat bonded with him over time and do feel sorry that his life is such a train-wreck. Well, after I talked to the coordinator I then texted my boss and apologized for going over his head. I went on to explain my reasons for doing so and how the client was negatively affecting my mental health. I also texted that I wanted to leave the client without him knowing about me transitioning as I knew that it would cause him great mental distress. My boss reassured me that the client did not know and that everything was ok.

This was last Friday; now let us fast forward to today. I walk in to work with my client and notice that he is very withdrawn and depressed. I ask what is wrong and he asked me "are you getting any surgeries done?". I told him "no, not anytime soon. Why?". He then says "Well, Ron (the boss) said a bunch of wild shit to me that I just couldn't believe.". He then tells me that my boss told him I was leaving in 2 weeks to get a sex change and that I was changing my name to an obscure female version of my male name (which my boss knows is untrue as it is well known that I am changing it to Vanessa). He also said that I came out to everyone at work except the client because I knew he wouldn't understand, that I always wear a dress in public, and that I paint my nails and strip them before coming to work my shift with the client. He even went as far as to say "I have even seen [boy name] at Wal-Mart working with other clients in a dress". This, as I predicted, greatly upset and confused my client. Oh, it gets worse...

In the middle of my debunking that I am trans* my boss calls up the client. Both me and the client were angry at Ron (I was for being so violated while my client felt Ron crossed the slander line in calling me trans*); so my client answered the phone, put in on speaker phone, then lied and said I was in the bathroom. Here's exactly how the conversation went.

Ron: Did [boy name] show up to his shift on time?
    Client: Yeah, he did.
    Ron: You didn't tell him anything did you?
    Client: Nah, I didn't say anything.
    Ron: Good. This will be our secret. I was told not to say anything, but I felt that you should know if someone like that was working with you. He'll be gone in 2 weeks, so you won't have to worry about having someone like him around anymore.
    Client: Don't worry, it's our secret. Hold on, he's coming out of the bathroom.
    Ron: Remember that I said nothing. *hangs up*

I was completely shocked by the whole thing. I was almost in tears shaking in anger. I told the client that I had to step outside for a bit to get some air. I then called my coordinator and told her everything about what was said. She told me to immediately leave the shift and return home. In a fit of rage I then called my boss demanding answers. He is now denying everything and said "the client must have just picked it up from someone else.". So now I'm officially pulled from my Wednesday morning shifts and ensnared in a huge HR incident. There is a wild whirlwind of emotions and thoughts going on in my head right now. I feel so violated. :tears:

2. It seems like your boss may have issue with you being trans, or at least some sort of issue with you. The best thing you can do is speak to whoever you feel appropriate at work and sort it out. In this workplace, personal information is a really big deal. Assuming your higher superiors aren't homophobic either, they will make sure they do something about it, as it really is a big deal. Last of all, don't let this slide. Make sure your boss is at least disciplined.

---------- Post added 27th Mar 2013 at 07:07 PM ----------

This goes past personal information too; your Boss' behavior clearly puts the client and yourself at risk. When dealing with people who can be unpredictable, your Boss could have potentially put both of your lives at risk.

You shouldn't need to worry too much about your Boss denying what's happened; your word should be sufficient, but I'm sure the client would be willing to vouch for you.

3. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agh, people can be cruel, can't they? I'm not sure exactly what advice to give, as I'm not knowledgeable in HR issues. Just remember to stay safe and if you need to talk, I'm available. :slight_smile:

4. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry :frowning2: Your boss is a transphobic fuck and I hope he dies.

Hope I'm not being overbearing.

5. LoveMusicPoetry

Oh Sinopaa, that's awful. You must feel terrible. I hope your boss gets the sack for what he's done. Outing somebody against their will is the lowest of the low, especially in those circumstances. If it was me I'd have him up at an employment tribunal. I have nothing constructive to say, I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you've been put through this horrible experience. I really hope your boss gets what's coming to him and I also hope your client is ok.n It might be a bit too much to hope for that he would alter his attitude, but I really hope things can be settled without any more distress being caused to yourself and your client.

Vicki x

6. hello1992

first of all, it was very long to read, so i skim read it, so i may ahve missed some details.

your boss is a complete prick. I would say what he has done is homophobic, especially the fact that he is stereotyping your behavior. I would tell someone of a higher order. For someone working in this sort of industry he should know better.

7. Devious Kitty

Do any of your co-worker's know about this? The guy may probably want to get alternate opinions from others to either confirm or deny whether you are trans*. If the goal is to keep him in the dark then its important to make sure that everyone who has contact with him are either in the dark themselves or are in on this situation. (Note that although you may have in the past mentioned to them that they shouldn't say anything to him, your co-workers might assume you told him and think it's okay to confirm it.)

Your boss seems to be pretty incompetent and childish. I'd probably fire him over something like this.

What did you tell your client after the call?

#7 Devious Kitty, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  8. nikom87

I'm so sorry, this is awful. I just know he'll get fired; I am glad that HR is involved. I'm thinking positive thoughts for you and hope this situation gets resolved soon. (*hug*)

9. RainbowMan

This is beyond awful - your boss had NO RIGHT to tell the client anything.

Again, if you're denying it to the client (it sounds like a wise move), make sure that your coworkers are on board with it as well, because it seems you're out to them. They need full awareness of the situation as not to cause the client any further distress.

Your boss should have been immediately fired, IMO.

10. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let HR handle it, don't talk to your boss about it keep any conversations with him about your job. Keep on pushing about it though, don't let it slide. I am doing an HR degree in school right now, and any HR professional worth their salt will have him fired.

What he did was transphobic and he should/will(depending on laws in your location) lose his job. Stay strong.

11. Xochipilli

Your boss is a turd with a primitive brain. I was disgusted when I read what he did. Props to the angry little man for telling you the truth even though it was more for his own comfort and reassurance.
    And I'm glad you confronted boss man and that he lied because it shows he's scum.
    I'm sorry you're going through this. :frowning2:

12. Naren

Jesus your boss is a dick. And yeah, this client guy did the right thing (sort of) so kudos to him.

Contact Agent 47 about your boss.

13. Oddish

Oddish Guest

^ My sentiments.

I'm sorry. :frowning2:

14. castle walls

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. Your boss is an ass (to say the least). I hope HR takes care of him

15. Crystal's Vaporeon

I hope he loses his job, that was not his place to say! He said to you that he wouldn't tell the client and then he went directly against his word.
    I hope things turn out okay for you and I hope your boss gets good kick up the arse for acting like such a child. He he threw a fit like that just because you couldn't mentally stay with that client how can people trust him to run the business??

16. Hexagon

What the fucking hell? That boss in an arsehole.

17. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

I second the suggestion to talk to someone at HR. Also, if you are part of a union, you should talk to your union representative.

18. Mrcake

You need to look at the company policies and figure out who to contact - whether it be your supervisor, or boss of the company. You need to report this incident and fill out an incident report or request a transfer to a different client - which you have already done. You need to report your boss for telling classified information - he breached your rights. You can find your privacy rights here https://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs7-work.htm I hope this helps and I hope that you don't get reprimanded for this. I had an incident at work recently which caused me lots of grief and trouble - I figured it out and was not reprimanded because I talked to my supervisor's. Good luck! The hospitality industry is a bitch sometimes.. :frowning2:

19. catboy

You deserve an award for being caring enough to not tell your client. Your boss should get fired he put a paitent'slife at risk and took advantage of you. Stay strong and good luck (*hug*)