1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else feel like a third wheel?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Biotech49, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Biotech49

Kind of sad right now. The wife of one of my friends (lesbians) is jealous of my relationship with my friend. It is totally platonic, as it is with all of my friends who are partnered. I just recently came out and I don't have a girlfriend. Yeah, so feeling like a third wheel here.

I'm having to back off a bit here because I don't want anyone to get hurt. My friend knows that I have done nothing inappropriate, but she wants to protect the feelings of her wife. I just feel like I've been punched in the gut. Jeez, and like a girly girl, I am crying (I am not the least bit femme).

Just had to get that off my chest. Anyone else every felt like that at times? Yes, I know I need to find someone. Not the easiest thing to do when one hasn't developed lesdar...:icon_sad:

2. LD579

Honestly, that's not very fair to you, but it may be wisest, as you are doing, to back off for a while. I can say, though, that sometimes a third wheel is only a third wheel if it thinks it is. Make of that what you will. I hope you feel better, though. You did a smart thing by letting them have their space, for now. I'm sure once the wife is reassured, things will return back to normal.

3. Biotech49

Would love to talk to her wife but I don't know if she knows that my friend told me of the problem. I don't usually feel like a third wheel, just this last week. Moody me.

4. BornInTexas

Whenever my brother and his girlfriend ask me to go out for a night, I always feel like a third wheel because I rarely ever talk. They're partying, having fun, while I am sitting down quietly, and nothing interesting is happening with me.

5. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two close friends of mine are dating and whenever they invite me out I make sure there is at least one other person going. I hate being the third wheel.

6. Vesper

Very often. My four best friends are all either married or engaged to be married, and a good number of the people I'd met from their circles of friends are also paired off. I'm usually not alone with any one couple, and I'm fortunate that all have been very considerate so far of their single friends. I have gotten used to their displays of affection, but must admit that it does amplify my loneliness sometimes to see them loving each other up.

7. SleeplessS

I do. Most of the time. My friends, the true ones don't get this stupid jealousy thing about me, I am friends with both partners so I guess that works. But it has happened with one particular person (friend) and well..the relationship is ruined as well as it hurts a LOT - obviously the problem is their not mine, or their partners, whichever, but it hurts that I am getting the bitter end of it. Recently divorced here so I'm not even looking and not even indicating anything as such, in fact I kind of ... am scared of relationships and am very tentative making friends even so. Bleh, whatever. Bottom line I feel for you.

8. cycle 50

More like a single wheel, like a free electron, roaming about , for another charged particle to develope some type of journey with.
    I've been the third wheel many times

9. BornInTexas

I wish I had your optimism.

10. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel like the spare wheel that stored in the trunk, only useful when needed and tossed back in when done with.

But when I had a close friend in high school, whenever she dated someone I always felt like the third wheel.

11. Biotech49

Sent a message to my friend offering my support to her wife (I don't have her wife's number) and got a call from my friend a few hours ago. Apparently it is bad enough that her wife is in counseling and my friend told me not to call unless it's an emergency. I'm fine with that, honestly. I want this jealousy thing to quit NOW but I can't do anything about it. I've been so happy after coming and this has put a damper on my happiness. I did ask her if anyone else in "the community" (we call our group of friends the Posse) is having the same problem. She said no. Jeez, I hope not! I desperately need single friends for friendship. I also need to find myself a girlfriend! That would help A LOT.

12. Biotech49

Honestly, I talk to people who talk to me. "A" talks to me and "B" doesn't so who am I going to talk to? "A", so "B" gets jealous and bent out of shape. I really, really, want to talk to "B" to clear things up. I'm new to town. Does "B" do this every time "A" makes a new friend"

13. SleeplessS

You know I lost a friend because her gf is jealous. It's pathetic if you ask me and I am honestly tired of trying to fix something. My opinion goes this way - if someone throws you out so easily, they are not worth your time, energy and nerves. Besides, I really wouldn't want to be with a person who is so freaking jealous and has no trust for me. Yuck.

14. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Whenever I go home my brother and his girlfriend always invite me to go places with them. I usually do because it's either go somewhere with them or sit at home with my mom. I always feel like a 3rd wheel because the two of them rarely talk to me. It's so awkward.

15. Eatthechildren

I constantly feel like my friends just put up with me

16. Biotech49

Good news on the friend front! Got messaged from "the one who was hurt" yesterday morning and we worked things out. Went out to dinner with a bunch of friends last night (hee hee, skipped my evening class to do so) and she and her wife were there. Got to hug "the one who was hurt" and avoided hugging the "other". Got a text from "other" and she said that it looks like things are going to be okay! I love my friends. I really do. One of my partnered friends is taking me to Lawrence, Kansas next weekend to a concert (lesbian singer) and she said there are so many lesbians there that I may just want to move there when I finish school in July. Maybe I can just meet a few (or a bunch). I'm good friends with both her and her partner so no problems there.

17. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know I had a friend and we hanged out all the time doing different things.He got a gf and i stayed single.
    All of a sudden it was him,her and....me.I was friends with both but we would go to the movies and they would sit with eachother in a row behind me and I'd think,"I thought this was a friends night out?".

One time he even said that sometimes he wished it was just him and me,just friends hanging out always having a good time.

Idk we are no longer friends and in the end they both got rid of me as a friend because he called it quits and she was his gf.I thought it was bs that her and I couldn't still be friends but their love wa.s more important than I.I thinks its Fd up.

18. ok455

I don't do the 3rd wheel thing unless theirs a group of us hanging out. But just the 3 of us nope i did that in the past and every time i did it turned out badly so i just stopped it all together and when someone asks me to hang out the 3 of us i just avoid the question or make up an excuse. Also i try not to get too close with my friends boyfriends or girlfriends simply because if drama happens they try to drag me into it and take sides and crap its a mess.

19. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Glad that was sorted out for ya....

coz i seriously didnt know what to say while i was reading all the posts... ive never felt like a 3rd wheel ever... coz when my mates hang out we dont bring girls...and if a mate and his mrs wanna hang... its normally her that's the 3rd wheel...

Bro's before hoes has always been our saying..

20. hello1992

OMG YES!!

I have reached that age where most of my friends are getting into relationships and now i just feel likete third wheel, all the time! We had a get together a few days back, and for some reason msot people deicded to leave the room. it was just me and this couple, it was really akkward because the gf was sitting on the guys lap being really intimate with eacother. I just walked out. It happens in clubs as well, so annoying. You happen to be with a couple and then they just start making out, i don't know what to do so i just walk away.