1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you feel comfortable with adoption?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Mar 28, 2013.

?

Would you love and feel comfortable with adoption

1. Yes I would love an adopted child as if it were my own DNA

50 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. Yes I would consider adoption

18 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. No I couldn't adopt a child that wasn't my own

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. No the idea if adoption it bothers me

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Alexander69

So would you feel comfortable and LOVE a child that you adopted other then I guess "creating" that child with your own DNA? Woud it be the same love? And would you ever adopt

2. Crystal's Vaporeon

We have the ability to love anyone, we love our friend and they aren't our blood and these children don't have real family which makes you feel sympathetic for them meaning you will try your best to love them and give them a new home.
    The only problem I have with adoption is that some people might think they are ready for it even though their not, adopting a older kid could prove to be disastrous for some people, the kid being rowdy because they don't want a new home or adopting a younger child who they will always have to give attention to, some people adopt kids but then can't give them proper care because they weren't fully ready.
    But saying that there are also people who become great foster parents.

3. Beware Of You

Yup adopting a Did is one of my life aims

4. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I would totally adopt! I have 3 Ethiopian cousins and I love them dearly. I would love to adopt from Africa and Japan :slight_smile:

5. Hexagon

Yeah, I think I'd like to adopt. Its the only way I could have kids, anyway.

6. ReyJ

It's one of the things I want to do :slight_smile:
    Basically in a gay relationship if you have a biological child, one of you will essentially be adopting anyway. If you can expect your partner to do that, then you should be able to do it too. So basically, if you are both willing to 'adopt' the other's biological child, why not adopt an unrelated one and make life better for a child that otherwise would have nothing. There are too many children in foster homes, and not enough people adopting and I think it is sad that they miss out just because someone wants their child to inherit their nose (ridiculous example I know).
    Just my thoughts :slight_smile:

7. Eric

If I decide to have kids, adoption would be the only method I'd consider.

8. Rae

Rae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Since pregnancy revolts me (on a personal level), if I were to have kids, adoption is the way. If we assumed that I could have biological kids without problems, I would still be comfortable with adoption. If I had an adopted child, and a biological child, i would love them equally.

The above is of course only valid, if I want kids in the first place. I don't want to at my current life state. And I don't think I could adopt soon anyway, as I still live as a woman, and I think that "I want to adopt because pregnancy is disgusting" wouldn't be a valid reason to adopt XD.

9. Naren

I'd like a "Hellz yeah" button on this

10. Shadow7796

Shadow7796 Guest

I'm adopted!

11. Fisnou

I'd definitely adopt. I'm adopted myself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Alexander69

I feel It would be awkward if I were to adopt a child I would feel like not the connection I would if it were my own.... You know? I hope that doesn't sound bad but if I were to have a child with my sperm DNA then it would be like that immediate connection. But I don't want kids anyways I hate kids I just thought it was an interesting discussion to see how people felt about this topic.

13. AtticusJohn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having children was an option I had always considered before I had questioned.
    I want my own children but then again I want my own children, with the DNA of myself and my Husband. Although I may fall in love with a women it is unlikely, so it up to Science to revolutionise reproduction.

Adoption is an option, but I myself would want to know who my biological parents were and knowing that I don't know is scary, to be left in the dark like that. There is the option of surrogacy, but then comes the issue of the child not being the biological offspring of my partner. Oh well, who knows what the future holds? :confused:

14. 4ever Hearth

I think I would do better with an adopted child rather than a child of my own blood, mainly because when it's "your" own children you take it for granted to some extent. You take joy in having them surprise you but to that same extent, you take pride in "knowing" their every potential move. With a kid that's not my own, I would always have to be on my toes not really knowing what they are capable of or could attempt to pull-off next which in turn would make me have to listen to them and the relationship of Father-Son or Father-Daughter that springs from that is just, well it could make even the most cynical person believe in magic.....I hope. :icon_bigg

15. Fiddledeedee

I would certainly consider it, and if I adopted then I would treat them as I would treat my own. Probably. There's no way to test that, of course, and I'm not even 16 yet so it is a bit young to say. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I do not currently wish to become pregnant or to raise a baby, so adoption would be good if my partner and I want kids.

16. fuzzywuzzy

Making my own child isn't a part of my plans so I'd rather adopt one. Now I wish it was legal here...

17. June Cleaver

Well my husband has three children. I love his children and wish they could be with us full time. So I would adopt them if I could. Sadly I am cousin John to them and they won't likely ever know June exists. I know he is happy I can't get knocked-up! LOL I did raise my sister's daughter from 2 weeks till 5 years old. I was crushed when I had to give her back. June

#17 June Cleaver, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I doubt I'll ever have kids in any shape, form, or color...

But I will say that I'd have no problem with adoption. There may not be shared DNA, but a bond of history and love is more powerful.

19. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope to adopt. I just can't see bringing a child into the world when there are already so many without homes or families. Big fan of open adoptions.

20. FruitFly

There's nothing wrong with not being comfortable with adoption. Not everyone has the mindset to adopt, just as not everyone has the mindset to have birth children. Horses for courses.

I see no difference between adoption and having birth children, at least when it comes to the love side of things. Sure different highs, different lows, but highs and lows are part of parenting.

Sure adoption can be challenging, and when people have asked for the umpteenth time whether there's something wrong with you that led you to adopting you can get a little tired, and yes when you're going through the pre-adoption process you may feel like you're being ripped to shreds, but ultimately, ultimately, it's no different to the process of actively deciding to have a biological child.

Even with biological children there's no guarantee that there'll be a connection, and in a way the adoption process (at least with the organisation I'm familiar with) is something I prefer. You're assessed, you're made to seriously think about your support network, local resources, the suitability of your home, everything. People give you the worst case scenarios, they warn you about the mental strain of taking on an older child, about the "you're not my real mother" episodes, about how people will perceive you, everything. The matching process, the visits, the highs and the lows; are they really any different to the highs and lows of children that come from my own womb?

I could just be desensitized to the highs and lows of adoption though... after a while adoption related woes just become part of everyday life.