1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Libraries

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheLovelyAudrey, Mar 28, 2013.

1. I often go to my local libary for DVDs and books
    Anyone else? :slight_smile:

2. Wolfie Charm

Re: Libaries

I sometimes use the online version of my library, but they only carry some of the straight fiction I read. Lately I stick with Amazon because they have 100% off sales if I am patient enough.

3. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't go to the library anymore. I just buy what I want on the iBookstore and read everything on my iPad.

4. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work in my local library! :slight_smile:

5. RainbowMan

Well, that makes it convenient to go there :grin: I bet you don't pay late fees either :slight_smile:

I use the online databases, particularly to read magazines (like Harvard Business Review) that I like, but can't justify a subscription to (I only read a few articles out of it, and it's ungodly expensive)

But all of that I can access 24/7 from home, it's pretty nice :slight_smile:

6. The username

I checked a book out for the first time in years last week :confused: I mean, as a college student I am pretty much in the library every day, though - I most definitely cannot get work done in my room.

7. Naren

I used to go but my dad stopped taking me so I just get those ghetto pdf books off google.

8. AtticusJohn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My local library is more of an internet lounge thing. They really don't have any books....

9. jackram

I walked to the library today. :grin: I got a bunch of books, mostly manga. XD

I always go to my school library. I could live there, lol.

10. nikom87

I went to the one by my work to get a library card and the librarian almost wouldn't give me one because she didn't believe I was 18 (I am 26).

11. Vesper

I used to go from time to time for manga, CDs, and (less frequently) books. Now that I don't live right across the parking lot from a library, I haven't gone to one in months.

12. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

If you ever get the chance, I believe the area on LGBT is in 306.xx :icon_bigg

13. Ticklish Fish

i go to my uni's library to check out guys in almost-tightly fitted short sleeve shirts

14. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just got back from spending four hours studying in one.

It seems most people these days go just to hop on the computers, though. A few weeks ago the entire network was down, and there were maybe three other people, max. I didn't mind. :lol:

15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My local library apparently waives overdue fines for employees. And (at least once) allowed employees to order personal books through the library at a huge discount off list price.

But there are minuses. I gather the amount of work load has increased dramatically. My local system is in a nightmare position: service demand keeps going up, but tax revenue thanks to this lovely economy is wretched. So there have been plenty of layoffs the last few years.

---------- Post added 28th Mar 2013 at 10:32 PM ----------

I use the library pretty heavily. In fact, I was there tonight.

16. mpac21

I'm a clerk for the library system! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I absolutely love reading all sorts of fiction, local history, travel books etc. I did become a worse library "patron" after starting working there though *shhhh* lol They're really strict about staff waiving fines so alas, my card has been blocked for a month or two now with fees...gotta get off my ass and pay up.. :astonished: Actually here in Milwaukee some branches got monies from the Stimulus grant to actually check out laptops to patrons (for use only in library mind you) But yeah, even with all the technology nowadays, nothing will beat a good paper book from the library and I would say this even if I weren't a library worker.

17. They're shutting down 11 libraries in my city this year. Someone asked me to petition but I said no; it actually makes sense to me. In the UK, the government is making billions in budget cuts in order to reduce our deficit. They've cut the health service a huge amount to the extent that we almost lost it, and they cut uni funding so much that they caused rioting.

Anyway, it makes sense to me. Big central libraries will still contain the 'important' books. I just think people are more likely to get a book on their Kindle for a few pounds rather than go out to the library and get a half-destroyed version of the book for a week.

18. The username

Hmf. The library is the last place I go to check people out. I notice guys more in the dining hall for their post workout meal. #cruisinginthedininghall

19. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

I would if I had the time. Especially for DVD's :slight_smile: I am a slow reader so I'm not always into books even though I'd love to be.

20. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I've always wanted to work at my local library. It's so big and cozy. I tried, but they didn't have any listings, but that was nearly 3 years ago. :frowning2:

I go to the library a lot, because I enjoy picking up books on different countries. I think I have maybe 4 or 5 Travel DK books checked out. I also like to check out music books and guitar references, along with manga if they have what I'm looking for. /__/

Also, people at my library are extremely attractive for the most part. I always end up seeing a hot girl or guy in there, it makes it even more fun to go ha.