1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sneaky internet activities

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RavioliFaceMan, Mar 28, 2013.

1. On the subject of hiding your history from your parents, I was wondering if anyone had come up with any sneaky ways to conceal your internet activity?

For me, there was a time when my parents disallowed me from using the internet. This is when people didn't understand the net as much as they do now, and my parents heard a story on the news of how it could harm young people. How odd. Anyway, I hooked my Samsung Tocco up to my PC and used that as a modem and surfed on 2G for months and they still had no idea. I once heard my Dad say "He's probably found a way of getting on it anyway, you know what he's like" which I quite liked.

So yeah. Quite proud of that.

2. BornInTexas

My parents limited my internet time, which ended around five o'clock PM. I was rightfully pissed because I didn't go out and socialize. I wanted to surf the web and stuff. So I did what you basically did, but for two years. :slight_smile:

3. FruitFly

A long time ago, when dial up was still considered speedy and wonderful, my father used to take the dial up cable so no one could use the internet after a specific time. So I "borrowed" a cable from school and then, thinking I was being incredibly sneaky, I used muffle the noise with a pillow.

I wasn't that sneaky though. I thought I was, and I thought I was being so smart sneaking around. I wasn't. Mother quite happily turned a blind eye though, so I managed to think I was sneakier than I actually was for a few years (!).

4. Naren

My parents make me turn in my laptop at 10 each night.
    I bought a broken laptop from a friend for ten bucks and turn that in instead.
    Either I'm very smart and they don't know or I'm not and they do. I really don't care lol.

5. Ticklish Fish

oh gee, I am sure when rock and EDM or metal or other new thing was around at your parents' age, THEIR parents must not like it either hahahaha

and just get on incognito mode on chrome or private session on firefox

6. My parents were raving out to acid house and techno 20 years before EDM existed, and hell no their parents didn't like it. I remember watching a documentary on how the public saw rave culture as a cult or something alike, but listening to the old acid rave tunes of the 90s now is laughable to us compared with some new DnB and dubstep. Looking back on what our parents have done is quite funny really.

7. Ticklish Fish

@_@

Just remember that for every new invention or new form of entertainment, someone's gonna bitch on the younger generation....

8. Bolin

I was responsible for paying for internet, so I've never had to deal with that.

9. The username

Lulz. I did something similar with an ethernet cable.

Computer and TV was off by 7PM (after many complaints I got this changed to 8PM). After many nights of going back to the computer after 8PM, my mom decided to start taking the ethernet cable. It's not like I didn't have access to those?

Then she started taking the power cord. She didn't plan one me going to the computer that no one uses and taking that power cord. XD

Oh good times when I used to have a "bed time" :rolle:

8PM bed time was in high school, btw lol

10. Naren

8pm in high school? D:
    You have my deepest sympathies.

11. Just out of curiosity, what were your parents' reasons for this curfew and limit?

12. Hexagon

My parents used to ban me from doing anything other than 'educational' stuff when I was home 'sick' from school. So I kindly promised only too look at educational websites. HAHAHAHAHA

But as far as general prevention of internet use went, I don't think my mother understands what the internet is, and as far as I can tell, she seems to think its basically a system of strings that you pull on to send emails, so she never really realised what she was not preventing me from doing. And my dad... well, hes a little less crazy. And also quite glad my mother doesn't understand the internet.

13. Private

Open google chrome then press Ctrl + Shift + N and viola.
    Incognito mode or something, won't save the history of the sites you will open so you can watch anything and open anything and no one would know except if a virus came with the site xP.

14. Oddish

Oddish Guest

My mum always used to shut off the net at 8pm when I was in middle school. She turned it off so I would focus on my homework or read. I just played video games until I went to sleep, instead.

15. The username

I had to be up at 6 am every morning, and I think my mom wanted me to read or study for the remaining hours that I was awake. Like that ever happened...
    It was 11 PM at least on the weekends.

16. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well my parents couldn't of enforced a curfew and/or limit they tried, the only feasible way was to take away the DSL modem but then that wouldn't of worked because we always had a backup modem and router. I used to bypass the schools proxy and content filters and the admins didn't even know about it nor could they of done anything about it.