1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did your parents affect you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Hexagon

Yes, how has the way your parents raised you affect the way you view the world, or the way you viewed the world for a sizeable chunk of your life? It can be anything, good or bad.

As for me:

-My parents made it very clear to me, at a very young age, that they were absolutely perfect in all respects, and that they were completely honest. This lead me to believe that whenever they made mistakes, it was not because they made mistakes, but because I had, or because they were being intentionally malicious. I have recently come to understand that they lie and make mistakes like anybody else does, and its not because they hate me.

-They raised me to believe that religious belief, regardless of it's truth, is morally superior to not believing. I now regard it to be morally neutral, but I often catch myself thinking stuff like that.

-They raised me to believe all forms of prejudice are bad (which is interesting, because despite their beliefs regarding prejudice, many of their views are highly prejudiced).

-This is an odd one: They raised me to believe that fruit formed part of a healthy diet (not saying it doesn't) meaning that fruit couldn't become a meaningful pudding.

2. MixedNutz

-my parents raised me very religious, they raised me thinking that God is the one and only person we need to please, nothing comes before him. (I however don't agree with that anymore)

-they gave me a very good sense of morality, right from wrong.

-they taught me emotions are ok to show, just because you are a man doesn't mean you have to be stoic 100% of the time.

-taught me the importance of family, but also because someone is family, you need to be more careful of what you do/say/give/lend/help them. Family can be users too.

-they also always felt the need to remind me how much they've son for me in order to get me to do what they want. One reason guilt trips enrage me now.

3. AKTodd

Hm. Ok - Gonna break this up between my mom and my dad since their effects on my life were so different.

My Dad:

My dad taught me that no matter how much crap or chaos he could throw at me I could endure. He taught me to survive.

My Mom:

My mom taught me...

This above all things - to thine own self be true.

That whether we are happy or sad or anything else, the most powerful words there are are "This to shall pass."

That spirituality and religion are something that each person should examine on their own and decide on their own. So I did and chose to have none of either.

That the opinions of other people are interesting and even worth considering - but that ultimately and where my life is concerned, my opinion is the only one that matters.

Do what you love and the money will follow.

Respect is earned, not owed.

Approval is a bonus, not a requirement

Todd

4. mpac21

Heh, well while I am not out to my parents yet, they have affected me quite a bit, pretty much all of it positive. They've both taught me compassion to my fellow human, as well as animal (and other living being for that matter really). They taught me understanding of others struggles and day to day trials. They also taught me not to judge, for we all face trials and differing circumstances in our lives. While they are not perfect, as none of us are, they definitely made me who I am today. As I write this I wonder why I haven't told them about me yet, but that's another trial for another day. But yeah, my parents taught me to while be strong, to also try to be a light for others in times of need, as one day I may need such a person as well.

5. Hexagon

Ooh, I forgot some

-My mother taught me to stop listening
    -And my parents taught me to put a lock onto my bedroom door.

6. 4ever Hearth

My Mother taught me all of my practical skills from a young age(Reading, Writing, Deductive Reasoning, etc.) but she also gave me her fears of the world as she did with my eldest sister. For Example: That being Black I wouldn't be able to trust alot of people since the worse would always be expected of me. Basically she taught me to always expect the worse as a child. She also taught me how to conform as in "Well you can't do that because thats not the way it's supposed to be done." Fortunately for me being the eccentricly creative, independent child I was, I took my moral lessons from what I saw on t.v and read in stories which astoundingly enough, played out in my favor(especially being a 90's bby and all the diversity they showed then). She taught me how to box myself in. I remember seeing The Mighty Ducks and thinking "I want to play hockey." Well I told her and she, with my eldest sister, replied "What?...Hockey boy how are you going to do that?...Ain't no rinks around her and ain't nobody spending money on all of that." And my sister goes "Hahahaha. You are such a white boy."(Classy :eusa_naug).

My Father taught what it meant to be a true "Hero" and why it ain't worth it. He was always quick to throw himself in the path of destruction for anyone, never realizing that sometimes you have to let others get burned because a consequence of life is pain. He also showed me every "demon" that his bloodline carried, allowing me to prep myself beforehand since I watched him.

Overall, my parents sucked when it came to nurturing(my theory is since I was born when they were 35, they got tired) but they excelled in other fields which did help me build up my own perspective and tap into certain things that they were capable of but couldn't. Also, since they are Mercury and Pluto to one another, I assumed being a mix of that chaos I was literally capable of just about anything I applied myself to which has been true thus far. So in ending, My Parents, genetically and practically speaking, were freakin magical and their faults and teachings allowed me to stand on my own as an true individual but it's a double-edge sword because due to my Mother's lack of empathy and my Father's emotional absence, I just might be emotionally unstable so yeah.....Go Team. :lol: