1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prevalence of Homophobic language on Twitter

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Thatoneguy, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting site I came across that measures the amount of casual homophobia that is on twitter. It does this by counting how often 4 homophobic words and phrases(“faggot,” “dyke,” “no homo,” and “so gay”) are used in tweets.

The results are really disappointing as it is used much more often than I had anticipated.

* This is not a prefect way to measure homophobia but it is a quick snapshot, and there is some times on the "all time" chart on the site where there is incidental large jumps. i.e august 12th 2012 the word "dyke" was used 6 times as often as the day before, it was also the day of the Dyke March in Vancouver.

http://www.nohomophobes.com/#!/today/

2. Hexagon

Interesting. It might not be as bad as it looks, though... "So gay" can be used in many contexts, some of which aren't homophobic, and "dyke" is sometimes used by LGBTs.

3. Cthulhu

Nearly 10 M of the F-word in less than a year. Wow.

4. Beware Of You

There are homoPhobes on twitter I have sometimes been sent hate by twitter users.