1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are being gay and being homosexual the same thing?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HEREIAM2, Mar 29, 2013.

1. HEREIAM2

HEREIAM2 Guest

I honestly believe they are not.
    I am not preaching on this but looking for feedback. I define myself as homosexual but not gay. Why? I believe there is a serious difference and it is not a matter of cultural identity.

It is also not a feminine versus masculine issue. There are guys (many of them) that are not fems who I would still call gay. I do believe gay men innately (without getting into a discussion of whether they are inborn) have a series of traits that just don't apply to me.

Homosexuals are men who simply realised at some point they were attracted to men not women. Beyond that they might differ little from straight men (although they will differ).

Because the guys I define as gay were more visible and less able to fly under the radar they dominated the gay rights movement and made their sexuality the one people associate with homosexuality.

So when guys like me do come out we are then expected to conform to gay stereotypes that may not even apply to us. I wish for a day when a guy (who barely if at all differs from his straight friends) can comfortably say publicly...I prefer to have sex and form relationships with men and not need to say "I'm gay".

The masculine homosexual is still an outcast who needs hide his true essence. Let's face it older masculine homosexuals often are attracted to guys a fair bit younger. Why can't I go to a party and say "I am attracted to guys almost half my age....they may be gay, they may be bi or may be just confused"...."they may go on to marry a woman and have kids and frankly that's fine with me....I never expected to marry them myself" .... the masculine homosexual into younger guys is history's oldest worst kept secret and exists everywhere ....is there really anything to be ashamed of?

Gay guys can marry in soem places (and I am as for it as anyone), rennovate houses and share dogs. I still have to be ashamed of playing "daddy" to a twenty year old.....but that is my sexuality and the sexuality of many others.

#1 HEREIAM2, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
  2. Eatthechildren

All homosexuals are gay but not all gays are homosexual (Since Asexuality is a thing)

3. HEREIAM2

HEREIAM2 Guest

i am rather aware of the gay asexual thing too, it is surprisingly common, asexuals with gay personas identifying as gay.....I personally avoid them myself as I feel their and my sexuality are not aligned at all

4. Alyssum

I totally get what you're trying to say, but I think it might be a connotation thing.... I grew up around lots of family friends, and have a very close friend now, who don't fit the traditional gay stereotypes at all and actually complain of being expected to fit those just like you said, in fact I don't think I've ever really had any gay friends who were that kind of stereotype.... My friend also goes for older guys, so I guess he fits in here pretty well. But they're still fine with being called gay, and because of that to me the word gay has never had any deeper meaning than homosexual, I've never associated it with any specific traits whatsoever. So to me they're just synonyms, nothing different except that one takes less effort to say.

That's just from my outsider experience though.

5. LoveMusicPoetry

I just take gay to mean homosexual to be honest. Lots of women identify themselves as gay. I don't really like the word lesbian, I just think it sounds horrible, so I'd rather say that I'm gay.

6. redstormrising

As far as I'm concerned, they are one and the same. Gay people don't share a particular series of traits (other than being attracted to the same sex) any more than all straihht people do. There are plenty of people who are gay and don't fit the stereotypes, but you may not realize they exist because they don't fit the idea you have of what a gay person looks or acts like.

7. Hexagon

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think most people see it that way. If I were to say to someone "I am gay" they would assume I meant that I was sexually attracted to men, which is the definition of a male homosexual. I just don't think taking two words that most people consider to be the same thing, and assigning them different meanings is going to change what they mean.

8. HEREIAM2

HEREIAM2 Guest

I also will refer to myself as gay often, as that is the term people expect....I just feel the word doesn't apply to me....I mean I know it is for others to judge....but there is little beyond my attraction to men that feels very gay about me....in fact I am "straighter" than most of my straight mates....

9. Monocle

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmmm... well, in my view, if a man is attracted only to other men, he's gay. His mannerisms, attitude, appearance, none of that matters. Whether he's super flamboyant or macho or just your average bro, he's gay. "Homosexual" is just the more clinical term, to me.

Cultural perception is one thing that changes the game, because there are countries where being a feminine man and being gay are considered one and the same, regardless of whether or not you're actually interested in men. But as far as Western civilization goes, being gay is the same as being homosexual.

It's the same way with women, really. I mean, by the definition in the OP, only a butch tomboy-type woman can be a "lesbian" while any woman who is attracted to other women is a "homosexual". I just don't make that distinction at all, it seems silly to me.

10. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think Gay & Homosexual are the same thing, Gay Stereotypes is a media thing, it's how Hollywood & other media outlets portray Homosexual people, I am not a stereotype Homosexual but I am Gay, I think people try to move away from the word Homosexual & it's such a clinical sounding word, Gay sounds much better :slight_smile:

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The friend I was "dating" for a while recently saw me differently when I came out while being in a relationship with him. He started seeing me as more feminine (even though I don't see that at all), he even called me "princess" at one point!

So, in a sense the word "gay" may have connotations in other cultures that we may not see ourselves. I personally do not make that connotation and neither do the more or less informed members of the North American or European public.

12. HEREIAM2

HEREIAM2 Guest

Putting aside the terms...what matters is if one starts sensing there is a fundamental difference between you and others lumped into the same sexual orientation...and that difference is not cultural or a matter of choice....like we are essentially talking about very different sexualities that probably need different terms applied as understanding of humans sexuality widens.

Fact is there is less difference between me and a heterosexual than me and a feminine submissive bottom in the actual sexual arena! A feminine submissive is a totally different creature to me essentially, with different emotional and sexual needs. I am more at home swapping notes with a straight mate bragging about the hot young woman he picked up and penetrated and me then bragging about the hot young guy I picked up and penetrated...different genders and (some) body parts...but similar dynamic. I could hardly have that conversation with a fem gay guy (well of course I could I suppose) so we are lumping very different types into one box and assuming we are one and the same vis-a-vis heteros.

#12 HEREIAM2, Mar 29, 2013
  13. redstormrising

There are straight men you couldn't have that conversation with either. And there are gay men you could have that conversation with who would respond in kind. I don't think gay means anything other than to whom you are attracted.

14. HEREIAM2

HEREIAM2 Guest

My attraction to men seems very aligned to the way most (yes I realise not all) heteros are attracted to women....I seek the softer, the prettier, the younger and I seek to penetrate....my actions mirror heteros in a sexual context in so many ways...wildly different to say the feminine sub who seeks a more manly man (often) to penetrate and validate him. Sure people's perceptions of what gay means are influenced by media perpetrated stereotypes but since the term now carries those stereotypes I would rather not use it to describe me...it is simply innacurate....I have nothing against feminine guys and can sometimes (but not often) be attracted to them. In fact I am currently infatuated with a very feminine guy. Its an exception not the rule but frankly I'd marry this guy if I could.

#14 HEREIAM2, Mar 29, 2013
  15. Zmajcek

Zmajcek Guest

To me they are the same, just homosexual sounds more serious and more like a psychological/medical/sociological terminology. In English there seems to be some kind of connotation that the word gay implies some form of feminine traits, however in other languages the word homosexual sounds much weirder than the word gay, in a sense that it might subconsciously make people think you have some sort of "condition", whereas the word gay would sound much more casual and straight to the point.

16. HEREIAM2

HEREIAM2 Guest

I do think there is semi-conscious tendency by writers to use the word gay to describe gay-acting guys and homosexual to describe non identifying men who are discovered to be into having sex with men.

17. Alyssum

The thing is, HEREIAM2, that being submissive or dominant doesn't really have to be connected to your gender or orientation. It's just what you're looking for in a sexual relationship. There are submissives and dominants in every variety of people, and I don't think that necessarily makes one different from the other. That's like saying a submissive straight girl and a straight dominatrix are two different things, but they're not. They're just two straight girls with different kinds of desires.

#17 Alyssum, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  18. HEREIAM2

HEREIAM2 Guest

[/COLOR]
    Ideally I seek partners who are not that different than me in most respects but as you said seek to be the submissive and are usually younger and prettier (but not in a specifically gay way). Furthermore I as a younger person was a bit submissive myself, although it simply died with age. I might not classify these guys as gay either and some can be genuine bisexuals at any rate.

I was simply juxtaposing myself to the type of gay guy I see as most different to me...the very effeminate gay guy who is generally a sub bottom.

#18 HEREIAM2, Mar 29, 2013
  19. Alyssum

Well I get differentiating yourself for sure, but I guess I just don't think that doing it by means of breaking apart "gay" and "homosexual" is really the best way to go about it. You say it's not a cultural thing, but I think that is how you're making it out to be... because you're just connecting those personality traits to the word gay and thinking of it as something other than homosexual because that word more commonly has stereotypes applied to it. But those are just from the cultural influence, and the actual meaning of gay is just homosexual, there is no difference. To most people it seems anyway, they mean the exact same thing. To me it just sounds like you're picking a part of basic personality type of issue, relating to being dominant or submissive, and trying to interpret it through a lens that a lot of people don't necessarily use. There are definitely differences between doms and subs but I don't know if I would say it relates to different "kinds" of homosexuality, any more than it would to different kinds of heterosexuality in any case.

20. leer

I think they both mean the same I Think the word Gay is used more frequently in today`s world