1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ardelia, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

What is you opinion about it? I wasn't scared of it, until I watched my grandma die, she was in coma last 5 days. But I could see she was trying hard to breath, and she called my name few times. One minute before she died, she opened her left eye, and then it was over.

This happened 7 months months ago, and I still can't believe she's gone, gosh I can't even believe that 7 months passed. And now I'll never talk to her again, just writing this made me tear up.

Now that I encountered death, it hit me with full impact, I was numb most of the time, cried few times alone. But I still can't talk about it with my family and friends, it's still too fresh, and painful.

Actually I'll say (with possibility of sounding overly dramatic) that it was a horrific experience, and life changing one in my case.
    To watch a human being lose all consciousness is a horrible thing to be witness of.

It reminds me of my own fragility and inevitable fate, that one day I'll just close my eyes, and never think a thought, or say a word ever again, neither will my grandma, or anyone else for that matter.

Strangely enough everyone I talked to about death, either believes in afterlife, or is completely at peace with it, or they are lying (which is entirely possible).
    Before my grandma died I too thought I was at peace with it, but no such luck.
    Maybe I just fooled myself into believing in '' I'm perfectly O.K with it, it's a part of life" kind of philosophy. Now my philosophy sounds more like ''It's not a part of life, it's an end of it''.

Rest assured I don't think about it all the time, but from time to time it creeps into my mind, and it haunts me. Am I childish for feeling like this? Sorry for being such a bummer.

#1 Ardelia, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
  2. June Cleaver

Death can be scary! In 1994 I died for 3 min according to my mom. I was unawhere I died. I was floating in the sky and watched some guys on the ground in dark suits. Then something pulled me backwards from my mid back area and I slammed down like when you wake from a falling dream and awoke to people all around me and my mom freaking out. I was 22yo at the time.

Also last november I had a event that I must have died here at home, because I went again up in the sky out into space to a dark place and was sent back. The effect was simmular to the time with mom there. I will always think God sent me back for Mike, because I was in great dispair last November and suisidal. I was just tired of living in the wrong body being treated like a sex object by men rather than the lady I am.

So I know there is life after death or at least the effect of it anyway. I wish I knew about heaven and hell, I did not stay long enough to see, but neither time was there a light or a corridor, but there was a floating effect and clouds and sky. June

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As Woody Allen would say: I am strongly opposed to it.

4. FruitFly

It's not childish, and I think more people should talk about it instead of making death this hushed thing. It's something that happens to everyone, something people experience once (well, except for those moments where you're clinically dead for a few minutes, but that's not quite the same), and it's coming to terms with the fact that your time on earth is finite. That's a big thing for people to think about, especially when they see their loved ones die.

Death and I have a little arrangement that has worked quite well so far. Death will come when death is ready, and I will not give any time over to thinking about death until such times as I think death is knocking on my door.

Being completely honest, I'm scared of being nothing. I do not want to die, and my not wanting to die has stopped me going through with suicidal thoughts a few times. However the logical part of my brain has resigned itself to death, and as death is going to come letting myself stress out over something I cannot control, something I'll have no knowledge of, is something I simply cannot do.

I've witnessed death take people and animals, slowly and quickly, painfully and peacefully, and I think it has helped me. While I am still scared of the unknown, I also see it as a gift. My life is so full of noise, the prospect of being nothing, having no more noise ... of not being. It at once scares and relieves me.

5. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

:lol: Ha ha, I LOVE Woody Allen.

6. Chickenlover

...trees and rocks and rocks and trees and WATER!
    You're not childish. Death is the great unknown, which humans are naturally fearfully of. Death and I have met a few times. I am not afraid of dying, but it has to be when I'm ready to go. I don't want to leave before then. I have never seen a person die, but many of my pets. It is a terrifying and haunting experience. But, in the words of Albus Dumbledore "To the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure". I'm not trying to say that your mind is disorganized or anything, but I find it a comforting thought to keep in mind. At times when I lose a lot of pets (usually chickens) I get really down and glum and start wondering at the point of life is you're just going to die anyhow. But "Life is the journey, not the destination", right? So I think that being aware of your mortality, but not stressing about it is the easiest way to cope with death.

I'm really sorry about your grandma. That must have been so hard for you.

7. Stripe101

As an atheist, death frightens me a bit because I don't believe in life after death.

8. photoguy93

I think that death is one of the most interesting things in life (which sounds so weird to say.)

I have personally never witnessed anyone die (my mom didn't want me to be in there with my grandfather. I was about 17...even though I was older, I'm glad she did that for me.

There's so many different perspectives on it - but there isn't a correct way.

The best thing for you to do is to talk about it; I know that might seem tough, but you need to make sure you don't hold too much in. I lost a lot of relatives when I was younger, and I think that added to some of my issues with anxiety and the worries about death.

9. vyvance

My adoptive dad took me to a lot of paramedic calls with him when I was younger, so I've seen a lot of people die in various ways. As a result, death doesn't scare me in the slightest.

You are not childish at all for the way you feel.

10. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

The thing is, this is the first time someone close to me died. So this all, maybe left me a little bit traumatized and unprepared. Everyone tried to talk to me about grandma's death, but I still can't open up about it. They all think I'm weird and cold for not talking about it, and that I forgot about it, but I'd rather mourn in silence.

11. Vesper

I'm fascinated by death, and especially by the process of decays.

The dearest people to have died are my dad's doctoral advisor and my grandfather, but I never got to see either of them often (once per year at most), and didn't form very strong attachments to them. In addition, they died hundreds or even thousands of miles away from me. It sounds very cold, but as a result of the distance between us (literally and figuratively) I did not mourn for either of them very deeply. The closest I got to the reality of death was my first visit to my grandfather's burial plot on the anniversary of his passing, the entire duration of which was utterly surreal (mostly because I had to participate in unfamiliar rituals around crying relatives).

In short, the thought of death does not stir up emotions as of now, but rather curiosity. This will change, but hopefully not soon; when it does, I don't think I'll be ready.

#11 Vesper, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  12. IrishEyes1989

Death has always scared me. Whenever I have allowed myself to ruminate on what will happen after I die, I end up freaking myself out. I'd like to believe in an afterlife but I really don't know. The part about it that scares me the most isn't necessarily the dying itself but the fact that once you're gone, you're gone forever. FOREVER. I can't even really explain the feeling that well, but does anyone else know what I mean? I always picture eternity as this unending, silent black hole. Can you imagine that for all of eternity? That scares me beyond belief. I try not to think about death at all. I don't want to think about death until I face it, which I'm hoping will be at least 60 some odd years down the road.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not afraid of being dead or what happens after I die.

What really terrifies me is the idea of dying in agony, like from a stab wound or suffocation. I don't want that.

14. theMaverick

^^ that ^^

at least mostly. I believe in an afterlife, but given that we can't know what it is...it scares the hell out of me.

15. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

16. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Death doesn't frighten me at all. My thoughts and opinion can best be summed up by the following quote from a personal hero of mine: Albus Dumbledore,

Personally I believe that once we die, we enter a large waiting room (much like in the movie Beetlejuice). Upon arrival, we are given a case number. Then we wait. When our number is called (again, if you use the phrase "Once your number is up") we meet with a Human Resources department worker, where they go over our options with us. I believe that we can choose to be reincarnated as another form of life, or spend some time relaxing in heaven with family members and others who have chosen to spend some time off so to speak before going through the cycle of reincarnation again.

After you make your choice, you wait again (apparently my beliefs picture heaven as a DMV, where you're always waiting...) until you can be helped to your respective choice. If you choose immediate reincarnation, your memories of a previous life are transformed into feelings, intuition, if you will, that can help to guide our choices in the next life cycle.

If you choose to spend some time in heaven, you are reunited with people and or things who meant something to your most recent life.

For those who dedicated their lives to helping others, they can continue to do this in the afterlife by serving as guardian angels (for lack of a better term, though I hate it) and sending supportive messages through symbolism to people in distress in the living world (essentially acting as liaisons between the afterlife and the living.)

It's farfetched, but it's what I believe. And it's why the idea of dying doesn't scare me and never has. I'm sort of excited to see what happens, honestly.

17. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not fear my death so much as I fear the death of others, and particularly so those of people I love. In fact I dread to a tremendous extent the potential death of certain figures in my life - and I don't know how to alleviate the feelings of worry, either :/

18. Niko

I'm terrified of death. I'm scared to lose my loved ones such as my parents and my sister and well just about everyone in my family and whoever is close to me. I fear of growing old but at the same time living forever doesn't seem like fun.
    I think all of this fear comes from me thinking that I'll never be the man in my dreams and that I'm going to die as an old "woman". It's the fear of living a lie my whole life and never truly being me.

19. sugarcubeigloo

I figure I didn't mind not existing before I was born, chances are, I won't mind after I die.

To be fair though, I do believe in an afterlife and it does reconcile some hesitation that I could possibly have.

20. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Death is HARD.

I lost a close friend in High School and we were so young that it took me by surprise. I knew people could die young, but it happening to someone I knew? A friend nonetheless? I was heartbroken! She had always asked me such deep religious questions for our age that I tried my best to answer before she passed away. Afterwards, I kept expecting her to call and then realized she never would again. I feel peace whenever I go to her grave though, as if she's smiling down on me.

I believe in the afterlife, and I've heard many stories, good AND bad from close people who've had encounters with death. One of my friends told me he literally went to hell and back. My grandma had one of her many heart attacks and as a result of one experience went to heaven and back. I've heard a lot of stories, and as I know they're reliable sources, I DEFINATELY see the evidence of an afterlife.

I respect what everyone else believes of course. I will assume the deceased person goes to heaven until proven otherwise. Afterall, innocent til proven guilty right? As I am only human I have no right to deem anyone worthy of heaven or hell anyways, so I don't.

Sorry that was such a long post LoL!
    I'm very sorry for your loss. Please know that opening up to others will aid your recovery in this endeavor significantly. Also its ok to mourn alone for awhile, but at this point you should have a support group to talk to openly.

:kiss:~<3