1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volunteer Work

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RedLight, Mar 29, 2013.

1. RedLight

Lately I've been looking into some programs I might be interested in for the summer. Right now I'm looking for some volunteer work because I've always wanted tought it was important to do so I just never knew where or how to go about it. This is why I thought I would ask you all. Have any of you ever done volunteer work? if you have, where and what was your experience? Or do any of you have some suggestions on some programs I could look into.

Thanks a million, I really want to do something important, not necessarily for college, just because I think it's important to give back once in a while. (&&&)

2. Mrcake

Try volunteering for a young life camp - they are amazing, and you get to have a good experience with other people.

3. Ticklish Fish

i have volunteered for one that they drive you to places and you pick up trash lol

another one is you help pot some saplings so they can later plant around the city lol

4. Wolfie Charm

I volunteered for a therapeutic riding center, which I now work at in a paid position. It. Is. AWESOME. I have not seen another volunteer job that rivals the joy and happiness that comes from seeing the kids (and adults) overcome their challenges; anything from physical to mental to emotional turmoils, and no matter how big or “small”. You know you are doing something great just seeing them smile a greeting at your familiar face (they love seeing the same people cheering them on!) and their grins as they accomplish their goals. I have even learned tons from the kids. They come out on top when people think it is impossible. (One example is a kid that went from never being able to walk to doing marathons and skiing. Riding gave him an outlet and a reason to live/do his best.) I’m biased though, so of course I talk about that type of volunteer work. :grin:

5. Mysz

If you live around NYC, you could try volunteering at a hospital :slight_smile: I spent some time in Jamaica Hospital, which isn't too far away from the city or LI. It isn't nearly as amazing as Wolfie's volunteer work (horses, happy children- wow!) nor is it as soothing as working with plants. It gets a bit repetitive with the limited scope of duties volunteers are allowed to perform, but you get great insight and the patients are usually friendly (depending which wing you're in :grin: )

6. IrishEyes1989

I volunteer with an organization that pairs up senior citizens with young adults in order to bridge the generation gap and break down ageist stereotypes that tend to plague both groups. I have found it extremely rewarding and enjoyable. What I love about volunteering in general is that the benefits are mutually felt by the volunteers and those whom they work with.

7. RedLight

These all sound like great options. I'll be looking more into them, but sometimes I get a little overwheled with all of the online searches, most of them don't even turn out to be what I'm looking for. Would y'all recommend I personally visit these organizations/programs instead?

8. Wolfie Charm

Um... I think it depends on the place. Hospitals and some facilities allow it, but there are also lots that rather know you are coming. Like my organization. We fully welcome visitors-but only if we know about them. If we don't we get suspicious (though with kids that is understandable). Hospitals will welcome your visit. Most will say on their site if they welcome drop-ins. Basically, private and semi-private it is safe to assume appointment of some kind is a good idea, public places go right in for a visit.

You may not find the right fit your first try, so don't feel bad if you volunteer a couple times at one place and then learn it is not your thing and quit. I tried an animal shelter at first and found it an awful environment due to my bosses. Try something you would be interested in or able to relate with on some level. Good luck!

9. asmith6543

Volunteer at a hospice/palliative care. Great experience and you will learn a lot about life on a different level

10. Ticklish Fish

just heads up that the one i did was during spring/near summer :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

some annual activities are seasonal dependent...

11. Aielar

In Canada, there's a mentorship program known as Big Brothers/Big Sisters that might interest you. I'm not sure if it's around in the states, but it's worth looking at :slight_smile:

12. Wolfie Charm

We have it too.

13. BudderMC

To save time and effort, I'm just gonna quote myself from an older thread. :lol:

14. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I volunteer a lot with kids with developmental disabilities. It's a great experience. I've met some really great kids, and had loads of fun with them. Plus, it's good for my resume, especially since I'm a psychology major.

15. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I did volunteer work at a radio station and cattery

16. Convoy

Nearly all of the volunteer organizations near me have a strong religious affiliation or only allow members of religious groups to participate.

I have been able to do some work in some groups however it's mainly of manual/technical labor on a "we need you cause otherwise we have to pay someone" basis. It's barely enough to label as "volunteering" and half the time I can't even get anyone to give me credit.

It's the kind of BS that we get around here; and everyone wonders why no one helps em :dry:.

I might see about orienteering at other locations closer to different cities and groups, since my local area is just about worthless. It would be nice to get out of this area once and a while + it would give me some good chances to connect with more people.

17. A lot of people seem to think that teaching language to those in undeveloped countries won't help them. I think that's ridiculous; to develop some sort of economic infrastucture, they need education. To form a strong government, they need infrastructure. I spent a year in some poor parts of China teaching a few languages. It was incredible.

Probably a bit late now to organise something like that - but if you really want to make a difference, you should consider going out for a few weeks.

18. Zmajcek

Zmajcek Guest

It's great that you are interested in volunteering. And, trust me, it is going to help some of your future job applications way more than you would expect :wink: Some employers are really into candidates with volunteering background, because it simply shows your interest to offer and receive everything else other than money in return.

19. tulman

I donate my $ and my time to causes I believe in. I do it because I believe in them and to counter those who do the same opposing those causes. Isn't that how the world goes around?

20. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ive volunteered for an organization kind of like big brothers, but it pairs you up with kids with disabilities. More recently ive volunteered with post-Sandy clean up in Coney Island and Staten Island.