1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Story/prologue

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by theMaverick, Mar 29, 2013.

1. theMaverick

I'm trying my hand at writing a story, and I just want to get some opinions on it. This is only the introduction or prologue or whatever you wanna call it.

Be gentle, please. This is my first real attempt.

2. Wolfie Charm

I think it's good. Keep going! :slight_smile: Also, I applaud your bravery. It took me forever to let someone read one of my stories.

3. BornInTexas

It seems just fine to me. Definitely got into it. What is wrong with him? Why is he crying? :frowning2:

4. theMaverick

Thanks! I've written some stuff before, but nothing like this.

The reason he's crying will soon be revealed, but the whole story isn't geared to be sad. At least, I really hope it doesn't turn out that way.

5. Wolfie Charm

That's what I love about writing. You don't know what is coming until you have written/typed it. It's like reading a new book. I love reading my imagination.

6. theMaverick

Exactly!!!!

7. Bassplayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I liked it! I think it would be cool if there was more description of the environments, but thats just nitpicking. Awesome!

8. theMaverick

Very good point. This is really just a rough draft, so I'll add some to it later, I'm sure.

9. Gen

Gen

Urgh, I hate not knowing when I am writing. Though 90% of the ideas that I get for writing are often series, so I pretty much have to know.

I thought that it was very well done. I cant really think of anything to critique.

In my personal opinion, if you are going to leave it as a short introduction/opening page/etc, then its fine how it is. However, if you are planning on lengthening it out into a prologue, or the first chapter of the story, then I would recommend taking a bit more time with your writing. The writing style in this section is a tad dense, which is perfectly fine for a synopsis or brief opening, but personally I would try to play with the descriptions, his emotions, and the environment a little bit more once you get into the true content of the story.

Edit: Though I guess BassPlayer already made my point. :l

10. theMaverick

I want to expand the prologue a little bit, but not too much. The first actual chapter that I'm writing now is already at 900 words, where as the prologue as it stands now is less than 300. I'll expand on it! I usually write the basic outline, so to speak, and then go back and fill in more details, fluff it up, flesh it out, give it more substance the second time around. I seem to work really well that way.

11. The username

I liked it... really thought that I was beginning to read a fictional book. I don't read fiction often, but that's what it felt like when reading this. As aforementioned, I am curious as to what happens next and why Oliver is an emotional wreck. :wink: Keep it up

12. theMaverick

Alright, here's the first chapter. I'm not sure I totally like it, but this is the first draft. It's just a tad over 1,400 words, and I tried to be more descriptive. I have yet to go back and edit the prologue.

One
    On the first day of school, as Oliver got out of his mother’s car, he approached the monolithic brick building with a sense of trepidation. His family had just recently moved to Texas from California for his father’s job. Uprooted from everything he knew, the summer had been quite a difficult adjustment. His mother reassured him that he would do well, “you are the smartest 3rd grader I know, you’ll do wonderfully”. Oliver wasn’t as sure as she drove away. As he searched the classroom for the desk with his name on it, he spotted his name, paired next to another desk with the name “Emma”. As he took his seat, the girl to whom the name belonged walked up, glanced at him, and smiled. Oliver sheepishly smiled back, blushed, and then looked away. As the school year progressed, the two became fast friends. One day during spring break, Oliver saw Emma riding her bicycle down the street. He jumped on his own bicycle and chased after her. Emma showed Oliver her favorite spots in their neighborhood. The pair eventually became inseparable, spending every possible moment together.

As time passed and they started middle school, Oliver was encouraged to try out for the swim team. He was tall and lean and was always rather adept in the water. He agreed to try out, mainly because he wanted to impress Emma. There was an attraction between the two that their parents would joke about, but neither of them seemed to understand, as they were friends first and foremost. Oliver greatly impressed the swim team coach, remarking that he had “never seen someone so natural in the water on the first day.” As Oliver progressed into high school and further into the swimming world, Emma was always there, encouraging him and pushing him. Emma went to every swim meet and waited for him after every practice. Every time Oliver saw Emma, he knew that he would do well. Emma was his good luck charm.

The summer before senior year, both of them finally came to understand what their relationship was. The first time Oliver told Emma that he loved her, he was fearful that she would reject him, but was caught off guard when she whispered “I love you too” in his ear. Their greatest fear soon became a reality, as they learned that for the first time in ten years, they would be separated. Emma had gotten a music scholarship from a prestigious university in New York and Oliver had received a scholarship from a school in California. The last year of high school was rough, with several arguments and many tears shed. As graduation loomed, they came up with a plan. Every break they had, one of them would fly to the others city and they would spend as much time as possible together this way, and then they would have summers at home.

They spent the summer together, doing various things, helping each other buy things for their dorm rooms, and making plans and promises that would never be kept. 2 weeks before they would have to leave, they took a trip to the coast, along with several of their friends. Oliver’s heart broke every time he thought about being away from her, and her attitude had become increasing callous towards him every time he brought up their plans for visiting. During that camping trip on the beach, Emma apologized to Oliver for her attitude. “I’m scared. I’ve never been away from home. I’ve never been away from you. What if you find someone better?” Oliver took her in his arms, and whispered into her ear, “Emma, I love you with all my heart and there will never be anyone else to take that place.”
    That night, in the moonlight and crashing waves, they made love for the first time. After they arrived home from their trip, they both became very busy with last minute preparations, but they saw each other every night, sneaking out of the house and going to their favorite spot in the local park.

Emma’s parents had offered to let Oliver come along with them on the trip to New York so that the young lovers could spend a little more time together, but he had to leave for California the day after they would be leaving for New York. The pair snuck away the night before she was due to leave, and got spent the entire night driving around the city, reminiscing over good times and crying. They arrived back at Emma’s house shortly before daybreak, and said their final goodbyes. Emma hugged him and kissed him, “Oliver, I love you so much. As soon as I get settled in we will figure out when I will come and see you.” Oliver drove away, hiding the tears that he didn’t want her to witness.

Oliver and his parents loaded up his things and headed off for California. It seemed odd to Oliver that after all those years in Texas, he would be attending a university in the same city that he was born in. His family had only returned to San Francisco once since leaving, and he no longer felt the connection that he once spent, although he was looking forward to being back to the ocean. Anywhere there was water; Oliver experienced a kind of peace he only otherwise felt with Emma. As the SUV rolled through Arizona, Oliver heard his phone buzz. He snatched it up eagerly, and got so excited when it had Emma’s name on the screen. She had arrived safely in New York City and was unpacking things into her dorm room. She had sent a few pictures, and he replied back that they were in the middle of nowhere, and sent of picture of the endless desert around him.

Upon arriving in San Francisco at the university, a flurry of activity was all around him. As they reached his dorm room, his frustration level was high, as was his anxiety. He had slept in the same room, in the same bed, for the last 10 years, and now everything was changing. His parents helped him unpack, and then as he hugged them goodbye, his mother began sobbing, which in turn prompted his father to start crying. A single tear rolled down Oliver’s cheek as his parents walked down the hall, and as a new chapter in life began.

About an hour later, the door of the room swung open, and in walked Oliver’s new roommate, Jacob. Oliver had spoken to Jacob a few times, and they had exchanged a few emails as well, making plans for rooming together. Jacob was a full head taller than Oliver, had a mop of brown hair, and slightly disheveled, but stylish look about him. Jacob reached out as Oliver approached him and as Oliver extended his hand for a handshake, he was surprised when Jacob grabbed his hand and pulled him in to a hug. Oliver awkwardly hugged back. “You must be Jacob, it’s nice to meet you” Oliver said, slightly embarrassed at the sudden Texas accent that slipped out. Jacob laughed, “It’s so good to meet you too, and this is going to be so much fun!” Jacob began to give more details about himself and his family. By the time the room was situated, Oliver thought to himself that he could pass a test about Jacob’s life if one were to be given.

Despite his initial misgivings about Jacob, the two soon became friends. Jacob had lived in Oklahoma before moving out to California for school, but he revealed that his father was in the military and they had lived all over the United States and they had even spent some time in Europe. Oliver had only been to Europe once, and he had never thought much about going back, but after hearing about some of Jacobs’s experiences, he decided that he wanted to go again, and this time he wanted to take Emma with him. Oliver quickly discovered that Jacob had many of the same classes that he did, and Jacob exceled at math, which was something Oliver was never very good at. The friendship bloomed, and when they weren’t in class, they would often take off and explore the city around them. The first weeks of college went by fairly quickly, and Oliver quickly settled in to life in a new place. The pain of separation he felt dulled with time, but he looked forward to his trip home for Thanksgiving, when he would once again see the love of his life.

Whaddaya think?

13. Naren

This is great! I want to read all of it!
    Much better than how far I got with my last story (5 lines)

14. theMaverick

Why thank you :grin:

15. Wolfie Charm

Moooooore lol. I am eager to read the next section!

16. theMaverick

Bahahahaha! I wasn't gonna post all of it on here but I think I may start a revolution if I don't.

17. Van

Van

Hey, this sounds like something I would totally like to read. Glad you finally posted it.

Ok, now, when do we get to read the rest? :grin:

18. theMaverick

When I finish writing it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 1st Apr 2013 at 11:30 PM ----------

It's been brought to my attention the spoiler isn't showing so here is chapter one

on the I want feeding first day of school, as oliver got out of his mother’s car, he approached the monolithic brick building with a sense of trepidation. his family had just recently moved to texas from california for his father’s job. uprooted from everything he knew, the summer had been quite a difficult adjustment. his mother reassured him that he would do well, “you are the smartest 3rd grader i know, you’ll do wonderfully”. oliver wasn’t as sure as she drove away. as he searched the classroom for the desk with his name on it, he spotted his name, paired next to another desk with the name “emma”. as he took his seat, the girl to whom the name belonged walked up, glanced at him, and smiled. oliver sheepishly smiled back, blushed, and then looked away. as the school year progressed, the two became fast friends. one day during spring break, oliver saw emma riding her bicycle down the street. he jumped on his own bicycle and chased after her. emma showed oliver her favorite spots in their neighborhood. the pair eventually became inseparable, spending every possible moment together.

as time passed and they started middle school, oliver was encouraged to try out for the swim team. he was tall and lean and was always rather adept in the water. he agreed to try out, mainly because he wanted to impress emma. there was an attraction between the two that their parents would joke about, but neither of them seemed to understand, as they were friends I want feeding first and foremost. oliver greatly impressed the swim team coach, remarking that he had “never seen someone so natural in the water on the I want feeding first day.” as oliver progressed into high school and further into the swimming world, emma was always there, encouraging him and pushing him. emma went to every swim meet and waited for him after every practice. every time oliver saw emma, he knew that he would do well. emma was his good luck charm.

the summer before senior year, both of them finally came to understand what their relationship was. the I want feeding first time oliver told emma that he loved her, he was fearful that she would reject him, but was caught off guard when she whispered “i love you too” in his ear. their greatest fear soon became a reality, as they learned that for the I want feeding first time in ten years, they would be separated. emma had gotten a music scholarship from a prestigious university in new york and oliver had received a scholarship from a school in california. the last year of high school was rough, with several arguments and many tears shed. as graduation loomed, they came up with a plan. every break they had, one of them would fly to the others city and they would spend as much time as possible together this way, and then they would have summers at home.

they spent the summer together, doing various things, helping each other buy things for their dorm rooms, and making plans and promises that would never be kept. 2 weeks before they would have to leave, they took a trip to the coast, along with several of their friends. oliver’s heart broke every time he thought about being away from her, and her attitude had become increasing callous towards him every time he brought up their plans for visiting. during that camplifiering trip on the beach, emma apologized to oliver for her attitude. “i’m scared. i’ve never been away from home. i’ve never been away from you. what if you find someone better?” oliver took her in his arms, and whispered into her ear, “emma, i love you with all my heart and there will never be anyone else to take that place.”
    that night, in the moonlight and crashing waves, they made love for the I want feeding first time. after they arrived home from their trip, they both became very busy with last minute preparations, but they saw each other every night, sneaking out of the house and going to their favorite spot in the local park.

emma’s parents had offered to let oliver come along with them on the trip to new york so that the young lovers could spend a little more time together, but he had to leave for california the day after they would be leaving for new york. the pair snuck away the night before she was due to leave, and got spent the entire night driving around the city, reminiscing over good times and crying. they arrived back at emma’s house shortly before daybreak, and said their final goodbyes. emma hugged him and kissed him, “oliver, i love you so much. as soon as i get settled in we will figure out when i will come and see you.” oliver drove away, hiding the tears that he didn’t want her to witness.

oliver and his parents loaded up his things and headed off for california. it seemed odd to oliver that after all those years in texas, he would be attending a university in the same city that he was born in. his family had only returned to san francisco once since leaving, and he no longer felt the connection that he once spent, although he was looking forward to being back to the ocean. anywhere there was water; oliver experienced a kind of peace he only otherwise felt with emma. as the suv rolled through arizona, oliver heard his phone buzz. he snatched it up eagerly, and got so excited when it had emma’s name on the screen. she had arrived safely in new york city and was unpacking things into her dorm room. she had sent a few pictures, and he replied back that they were in the middle of nowhere, and sent of picture of the endless desert around him.

upon arriving in san francisco at the university, a flurry of activity was all around him. as they reached his dorm room, his frustration level was high, as was his anxiety. he had slept in the same room, in the same bed, for the last 10 years, and now everything was changing. his parents helped him unpack, and then as he hugged them goodbye, his mother began sobbing, which in turn prompted his father to start crying. a single tear rolled down oliver’s cheek as his parents walked down the hall, and as a new chapter in life began.

about an hour later, the door of the room swung open, and in walked oliver’s new roommate, jacob. oliver had spoken to jacob a few times, and they had exchanged a few emails as well, making plans for rooming together. jacob was a full head taller than oliver, had a mop of brown hair, and slightly disheveled, but stylish look about him. jacob reached out as oliver approached him and as oliver extended his hand for a handshake, he was surprised when jacob grabbed his hand and pulled him in to a hug. oliver awkwardly hugged back. “you must be jacob, it’s nice to meet you” oliver said, slightly embarrassed at the sudden texas accent that slipped out. jacob laughed, “it’s so good to meet you too, and this is going to be so much fun!” jacob began to give more details about himself and his family. by the time the room was situated, oliver thought to himself that he could pass a test about jacob’s life if one were to be given.

despite his initial misgivings about jacob, the two soon became friends. jacob had lived in oklahoma before moving out to california for school, but he revealed that his father was in the military and they had lived all over the united states and they had even spent some time in europe. oliver had only been to europe once, and he had never thought much about going back, but after hearing about some of jacobs’s experiences, he decided that he wanted to go again, and this time he wanted to take emma with him. oliver quickly discovered that jacob had many of the same classes that he did, and jacob exceled at math, which was something oliver was never very good at. the friendship bloomed, and when they weren’t in class, they would often take off and explore the city around them. the I want feeding first weeks of college went by fairly quickly, and oliver quickly settled in to life in a new place. the pain of separation he felt dulled with time, but he looked forward to his trip home for thanksgiving, when he would once again see the love of his life.