1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your opinion on online dating?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zmajcek, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Zmajcek

Zmajcek Guest

Do you think it works?

Personally, I've tried it for about half a year now with very ambiguous results. I have met some great people who ended up becoming friends, mainly because of long distance issues and some others that seemed to have potential when I spoke to them online, but when we met it was a complete disaster of awkwardness (from their side) and it did not work out at all...

Then there was another category, the seemingly perfect ones that never wanted to meet and always found ways to avoid it, though they loved flirting online and initiated dialogue very often themselves.

I noticed that most of the people I met online did not know what they were looking for; they said for instance they wanted a relationship and that they couldn't find that easily in their daily environment but they were extremely picky when it came to meeting someone from the internet in real life, even just for a friendly drink/coffee. Or they say they only look for friends, then they become flirty... And so on and so forth.

So, in my experience, the chances of it working (at least for people aged 20-25) are really slim. What do you think?

2. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Umm, maybe... I'm not to sure. My mum goes on this polish dating website and found herself a boyfriend, but he's never come here yet.

I guess it really depends on how commited the two people are with it.

3. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

From my experience

It sucks

Guys on them just seem interested in one thing and one thing only... Ugh

But that's just my experience

4. BudderMC

Online dating can work. It's both a lot easier and a lot harder than traditional dating, as has already been mentioned.

The thing about online dating is it sets up a "marketplace" mentality. Because you have your pick of hundreds of guys (even better when you're LGBTQ-, because your dating pool becomes about 100x larger than it was before), you automatically take that opportunity to "choose" the best person for you. People's standards go way up and some people even lose sight of the point of being there.

The other big thing is that talking online can set up some unrealistic expectations of what the other person will end up being like. This is easily resolved as long as you take the dating with the person offline relatively quickly (~6 weeks at most). The longer you leave it online, the larger these expectations grow.

And of course, the big one is that people can lie about what they put on their profiles, but there really isn't much to solve that one. It's just a risk you take.

So long as you keep your head level, online dating can be a great experience.

P.S. Please don't name any dating sites guys, as it's against the rules. Thanks!

5. Iowan1976

I am frustrated with online dating. I just would like a connection to something in the gay world. A friend would be great right now. I would love to have a boyfriend, but I just want a friend first...someone I can talk to about all these feelings and emotions.

6. bre16017

I think as long as two people are 100% honest with each other, and are open about their flaws, it can work.

7. Beware Of You

99% of the messages I got when I tried it was "You're cute, fancy a b*** J**" or something similar.

Ew Urgh

8. Mysz

It's frustrating not having people to really talk about it in daily life, but this site partly alleviates that ^^

I believe that online dating could work- but like Bud said, it sets up unrealistic expectations. What if someone ends up being very different than what you're used to online? Personally, I'm very forward online and very reserved off. I feel almost as if I intimidate people, lol. Yep- dashed expectations!
    When speaking to someone in real life, there are those little silences in between conversations that while over the internet didn't seem bad, but face-to-face become immeasurably awkward. :dry:

9. FruitFly

I think it's pretty much like offline dating, only ever so slightly easier for people to portray themselves as someone they're not (intentionally or otherwise). If the experience of friends is anything to go by it's exactly like offline dating in that initial contacts are increased if the visual representation is something people consider pleasing.

Personally it moves at a pace I'm uncomfortable with. I like to spend a long, long time getting to know someone online before meeting them, and I like to spend a long time exchanging messages before giving them any means of contacting me off of the site. Unfortunately my slow place (6 months+) is not quite compatible with the world of online dating, where the sooner you meet the better. Add to that the fact I'm not exactly the most photogenic of individuals, nor do I come across well in written form, and you have a recipe for online dating disaster. So for me, the chances of it working are slim.

With that said one of the only long-term gay couples I know met on a dating site and they're getting married this year, and I know at least 12 couples who met on an online dating site and are seemingly enjoying themselves mightily. Most of these were between 19-30 and it seems to have worked really well for them. So in general I'd say the chances of it working are the same as the chances of it working if you did the whole dating thing offline. It's just a different dynamic that perhaps makes it a little more obvious that dating is about luck, chance and hitting it off.

10. redstormrising

my partner and i met through an online dating site and we've been together just over a year now. we both have careers that keep us extremely busy and would make it hard to meet people in traditional settings.

11. fuzzywuzzy

Not quite my flavour.

Most of the people I've seen on dating sites, are only looking for a short hookup, followed by sex. Yet, I met a guy online. He was good looking,living near my area,around my age. He was nice, and funny. I totally adore him. The problem was that his life was only what's there on the computer screen. We couldn't go out and see each other. Although I feel very insecure when I meet new people, I was the one who proposed it. He agreed, but never showed up. After talking to him for a few weeks, maybe a month, I realised that he has no plans of doing anything with his life. That was a major turn-off to me, and the end of my dating site adventures.

One can meet their SO in a dating site, but I'd really rather stick with traditional dating. Too many creeps and weirdos online.

12. Zmajcek

Zmajcek Guest

This has happened to me way too many times. People without goals and friends and social life, just attached to their online persona and not even willing to meet someone in real life. After it happened to me not once, but twice (and I had invested some time and had high hopes in both cases) I realized it's not worth investing too much effort in people you meet online, unless they make it clear from the beginning they want to meet at some point soon.

13. tulman

Never gave it a fair chance, I suppose. But it appeared to be just a sleazy hell hole full of STDs and people who didn't seem to care. I'd rather go without or use my hand. My encounters that worked the best were chance meetings.

14. IrishEyes1989

I am a big proponent of online dating. I met my current girlfriend online and we have been happily dating for a year and a half. We knew each for a year and a half before we started dating as well, which I think is very important to include. If you're considering starting a romantic relationship with someone you've met online, make sure you really get to know them first. Meeting in person a few times is also a good idea, to make sure that you mesh well with them in "real life."

15. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I think if you meet someone who lives close by, and you develop a connection which leads to talking daily online, perhaps exchanging phone numbers, and Skyping, I think it could work. But I can't see it working for two people who live across the world from each other, unless if one them has bookoo bucks and a lot of balls and time to even bother. If I were single and a tad older, I'd try it. But I'd keep my options limited to the state I live in, though I would date a lass from Sydney, Canberra, or Adelaide if I liked her enough.

I have a few friends online who are in online relationships and they live about a state or two apart (US states, speaking), and they see each other on a monthly basis. It seems to work out, they seem happy and comfortable within the relationship, despite being 300-400 miles out from each other. Whatever makes them happy, not my business.

16. Tazzy

I thought it was fine, until tonight when I learnt that someone I got close to online via second life was actually a complete fake. "Her" photos are all over SL on dodgy sites and romance scamming sites. :'(

17. I've tried online dating before, but I did state I was only looking for friends. I made three friends there, one of which is still my friend after about 6 months. I also met a couple of people I really liked, and they liked me too, but unluckily they were a bit unsure about their sexuality, and yeah. It was a bit poo. This was after we'd organised a date, too.

I would say though, if you are going to go online dating, do try to find people close to you (preferably no more than an hour's bus away).

18. SleeplessS

My ex-wife and I met online, but not through a dating site, accidentally. We've been together 4 wonderful years until her SSRI medication claimed her. Having said that - no - I don't believe in online dating or dating for that matter. Having never dated myself - all the relationships I've ever had happened kind of by themselves. So I dunno.. Never really went OUT there looking you know..

19. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe they're not so perfect in real life?