1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Donating Blood

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tim, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim

I want to write an article for Full Spectrum 3 about donating blood as someone in the LGBT community. I have donated myself, but this was before coming out, so it was still legal, in the US sense ~.~ I needed community service hours for school :/

In the US, if a man has had sexual relations with another man (they specifically said have had sex on some of the forms), they are unable to donate blood. There is no real reason ever supplied other then something they just complete make redundant with their own info..

There are no laws on women having sexual relations with another women, which is actually sexist, even if not in the normal sense.

I was wondering, how do blood banks in other countries screen for donators? Are there questions like such on the questionnaire you fill out? Or are gay men allowed to donate, lesbians not allowed to donate, etc. I'd like as much info as possible, if anyone is willing to help =D

#1 Tim, Mar 29, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In UK you are not eligible if you have anal sex with another man. They also ask about oral sex so that may also mean you are not eligible. I'm not sure on the latter though. They make you fill out a form and i know anal/oral sex do come up on it.

3. Tim

Tim

Wow, I can't believe they specifically refer to those 2 acts :confused:

When my friend tried to donate, he asked one of the ladies a question, and she said that since he had kissed a guy, he was ineligible, which EVERYONE thought was crap. I almost walked out at that point, but I needed 15 community service hours, and only had 14 hours and 45 minutes at the kids museum >_<

I'm unaware if this is a US policy, but it sure as hell seems to be one in california.

4. Urman

Urman Guest

I do see that qestion when i donate and i plan to keep myself as a virgin for now so that i can keep donating i love donating blood.But i honstly dont see a problem blood is blood.I personly think that it is unfair.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I believe its nationwide. The specific question says "Are you a man who has sex with another man since 1977(I believe that is the year)? " They also ask if you are a woman who has had sex with a man whose had sex with another man.

6. Tim

Tim

By the nationwide thing, I was referring to the kissing. My friend was denied donating because he had KISSED another guy, not even sex, just kissed, which everyone assumed was a california law w/ donating :/

Thx for the woman part, forgot about that one.