1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Definition of Clingy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nurse Shark, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Nurse Shark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Simple question: In a relationship, what behavior would you describe as clingy? I like to be close to people I like, but I'm not sure what behavioral habits would come off as clingy or codependent.

2. Nyanko

When I think of clingy, I think of this:

X and Y are dating.

Y texts X nearly every five minutes with hearts and emoticons and constant "I love you"s
    At school/wherever, Y is constantly with X wherever they go.
    When they're together, Y is always touching X, be it holding hands or hugging.
    Y never lets X go somewhere by themselves, Y always follows X.
    Y wants to be with X every single moment of every day.
    X brings Y when they visit their friends. All the time.

Basically, IMO, someone who's clingy is someone who doesn't know what space is.

3. June Cleaver

This is the best answer I have seen yet. In my realtionship there are some things I refrain from doing I will add.
    1, I never ask who called or follow him to listen, if I need to know that Mike will tell me.
    2, I never give Mike the third degree about what he did while away from me.
    3, I never touch his phone or computer to see what he has been doing.
    4, I never touch his wallet without permission.
    5, I never snoop in his car for evedence.
    6, I never ask his family/ friends what Mike is up to.
    7, I never open his mail.
    8, I never follow him around the house or yard like a lost puppy.
    9, I trust Mike around all 3 children's mothers and his other exgirlfriends. Ex's are just that.
    A lot of these are things a clingy person will do. June

4. opti

when i read first thing in my head
    i was in a relationship where me and the woman were co-dependant upon each other. after 7 miserable years even tho we still loved each other we couldnt go on, she is still co-dependant and has a new bf every month cuz she cant be alone with herself she hates it she likes to take in homeless guys for the security they will come and live with her and not leave until its really bad. i cant blame her when she met me i was pretending to be the guy i wasnt and she was really the first person i came out too.
    Codependency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    as for me i am the opposite now, i isolate myself too much im scared to go out as i really am like im not perfectly passable ppl are gonna be able to tell no matter how good i look and how much time i spend i might think im perfectly passable and someone could still see through it. im scared of the constant judgement i dont have a lot of friends or support here
    sorry for my horrible grammar

#5 opti, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  5. BudderMC

Clinginess indicates a lack of respect for boundaries, as does codependency.

If you think you're a codependent, you should probably talk to a professional (i.e. counsellor/therapist) about it. It won't fix itself by itself - the only way to learn appropriate boundaries is by being taught what they are.

Beyond that, ask your partner what they want in terms of space.

6. photoguy93

Constant texting, constant attention seeking....etc. one of my closest friends is in a relationship right now. Her guy is sweet but OMG. He's so clingy. I think in the last week, I've seen about 2-3 Facebook posts about "the love of his life, I just love you." These are long,very detailed posts. They have only been together a few months! It's very clingy.

7. x Wallflower x

My sister is the definition of clingy her and her noe fiance are always together he'll even come down to our house at 11pm just to sleep then leave for work in the morning. She constantly text him and throws a major hissy fit if he wants to spend time with his friends of family if they have the day off together.

I hope i never become clingy i think partners should have individual hobbies that they can do seperately. if you spend all your time together what is left to talk about?

8. Crystal's Vaporeon

Getting stressed or scared when they haven't heard from the partner for a couple days.
    Crying because he said something that wasn't that bad but she took the wrong way.
    Talking about him all the time to the point where her friends are just pain sick of him.
    Spending unholy amounts of time dreaming about the future they will have together.
    Fighting with him because she is sick of the way he treats her then ends up being the one who says sorry.
    Spends every moment wondering if their is another girl or who he is hanging out with.
    So basically the definition of me.... I am so damn clingy -_-

9. theMaverick

Needy, can't be without you for more than 5 minutes without texting you, gets upset when you are with literally anybody else. Definition - my ex girlfriend.