1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earth Hour!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Connor, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Connor

Connor Guest

If you're not already participating, do Earth Hour. It's 8pm to 9pm when you turn off all electrical appliances to prevent light pollution. Or, in my case, it's just turning off all unnecessary lights. Try it. :slight_smile:

2. Orion

lol okay I'll do it. You know, you could just go ahead and turn that computer off right?
    Just saying :slight_smile:
    I'll do it on my 8 pm is it ok? IS IT?
    Love ya Connorbabes!

3. EthanS

EthanS Guest

ermm i would if i had something to do when everythings off, and if it was MY house ^_^

4. Connor

Connor Guest

Yeah it's whenever you get an 8pm you do it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: On this day, so 29th March. Yum. And I'm roo addicted to my computer to put it off. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yeah I'm in the same situation. I've just turned off everything I can, for example my bedroom light.

5. EthanS

EthanS Guest

I aint turnin the room light off i dont wants bad eye sight

6. EthanS

EthanS Guest

beside flicking the light switch uses alot of electricity

7. Beebo

LOL. I think I will try it.

8. dictionary

Pfft what a pointless activity... turning our lights off wont save the planet as long as when we turn them back on they are connected to carbon emmiting power plants.....

9. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    a few points:

-A computer, especially a desktop with a CRT can easily use close to 200W, which can power a lot of 15W CFLs. My laptop uses 30W just surfing the net, so it uses more power than the lone 15W CFL lighting the room.

-Turning off more power intensive appliances has the most "effect" for this effort than lights, especially if you have electric heat, air conditioning, clothes dryer, stove, fridge, etc.

-You cannot damage your vision because of low light. Unless you walk into some eye level nails or something.

-With incandescents flicking the switch does not use any extra power, and does not harm the life of the bulb. You can flick the bulb on and off all you want. With a fluorescent light (compact or traditional) the extra energy used to start the light is equal to maybe a couple seconds of run time. However, cycling a flourescent will slightly shorten it's life. The breakeven point is about 15 minutes, so turning it off for an earth hour is fine.

-There's something very hypocritical about the articles I've read in the paper that people say they're going to burn candles during earth hour. Candle wax is made out of fossil fuels, and candles have very poor emissions. You'd be best off out walking enjoying the outdoors, or using a wind up LED light or something.

10. Jerr

So uh didn't get home until 9:50...

so uh... I participated?

11. Orion

The point of this was to show a symbolic support. The aim of it was to conscientize people to make responsible use of electricity, not turn back to another dark age.

It's merely symbolic, to show that we are aware of the problem and that we are forwards towards correcting it.

12. Connor

Connor Guest

The post I am quoting is kind.

I like Earth Hour. :slight_smile:

13. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

This quote from someone else sums up my feelings.

14. Jerr

So, Connor is my favorite. lol

Why post anything negative? If you don't think there is a point to Earth Hour then ask what is the point instead of saying there is no point or posting the opposite.

Tact? Yeah, tact is good.

15. Lily

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Did it...sort of. I turned off lights. Thats about it. The rest of the house was awake so...they did their own thing.

16. Vampyrecat

Did it! I was at my sisters. we turned everything off at the powerboard, just pulled it all out then put it back in at 9pm. twas great.

17. dictionary

I actualy did turn of my lights...

But what i am saying is that we all shouldent think we are all enviromently friendly now because we turnt of our lights and appliances for just an hour.....

Earth Hour is about reminding ourselves that small changes can make big improvements on the environment but it must only be a first step... there is alot more that can be done and to be done...

18. justjoshoh

So, imagine my surprise when I found a darkened Google this afternoon. I had no idea about the event taking place. Sure, in the long run, individuals not using the power for one hour is not going to make a big impact on the world. If the movement had enough power to dim the lights even at multibillion dollar corporations, if even only symbolically, maybe it will the catalyst for great changes ahead.

19. waitingsucks

lol I did that last night

20. Tim

Tim

Wow, I feel bad now >_< we had the PS2, and a lot of lights downstairs on today at my friends house >_<, didn't know about earth hour til now :3