1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you date someone who is HIV Positive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Apr 4, 2013.

?

Would you date someone who is HIV +

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    54.3%
  3. Maybe

24 vote(s)
    34.3%
  1. Beware Of You

Just wondering what other people's opinion is on it.

Personally I would even though I am negative. I don't like things like that worry me, if a sweet, cute kind gay asked me out (and I am single) then I wouldn't care if they were positive or negative.

Obviously I would want him to tell me but I guess if we would be careful when we are intimate then its unlike he could infect me

2. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

I voted maybe sense it really depends on the person and how much I care for them and all. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. FJ Cruiser

I put down maybe. I would have to gauge their personality and how they care for themselves and how that would translate in how they handle the risk of transmission. HIV+ guys that are undetectable are generally quite healthy otherwise and monitor themselves well. At that point, the transmission risk drops very low if not close to zero, so if I liked them enough, I wouldn't let their status get in the way.

#3 FJ Cruiser, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  4. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I only say maybe because I don't know how I'd feel about it if it ever happened seeing as it hasn't before.So even though I say no in my head I just don't know for sure.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I voted "Maybe." Although, being honest, it would be a hard sell. I was a teenager during the 80s when AIDS was daily, scary news. I have recovered from that era enough that I'm not longer automatically scared of being with another guy. But...I'm not sure I can handle HIV+. Even though I know others have done it with no incident.

But...you never know what person you might meet, either, and if the right guy crosses my path...

6. Sayu

Probably not, because things would be very difficult in some ways and I would constantly be scared of getting the illness.

7. BornInTexas

I put down maybe, but not because he is HIV+. I would have to make sure he was really nice, tbh. I don't really care what disease they have, as long as they are healthy with it, and they keep it under control. But that won't get in the way of me dating someone.

So the way I see that situation is:

- Date a nice guy who is HIV+
    - Date a d-bag who is HIV-

I'd date the nice guy. No disease can stop LURVVV!

8. Sully

Couldn't you just date a nice guy without HIV?

9. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This reminds me of Tilt by Ellen Hopkins. Anyways, it really depends on how much I cared for them, in the long run.

10. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes. As long as the sex is safe, transmission is low. So it's all good.

11. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I would. I don't think I'd care.

12. Yep, fine. Sex is a 100% no in any relationship of mine, so it wouldn't make any difference.

13. Bree

No. I tend to be paranoid about getting sick anyways, and there's no way I'd be able to stop thinking about it. I wouldn't be able to enjoy being with them.

14. BornInTexas

Yeah, I could. But why would you not get to know the person to see if the person was worth dating? It doesn't matter if he has HIV. Just because someone has HIV, doesn't mean you have to NOT date them. >_<

15. FruitFly

I had to go away and think about this, realise my knowledge of what being HIV+ really means is woefully poor, and then spend a significant amount of time going on a rabbit trail of adventure.

All of which led me to the conclusion that should the situation arise I probably would date someone who was HIV+, but I also think that if it were going to work the dating stage would have to move at the speed of a very lethargic snail in winter. Honestly I think I'd have to believe that the individual concerned was the one person I truly wanted to be with, and I'd be willing to be as adaptable as required to make that happen.

For anything like HIV it would have to be a case by case scenario, as opposed to an outright yes/no. Why? Because I would need to convince my brain that the potential relationship, the person, everything, was something I wanted to see through to the end rather than casually date to determine whether or not I was that interested in the first place.

So ... I don't know. It isn't a question I've really asked myself, despite the statistics regarding the prevalence of HIV in men and women of various sexualities.

16. PeteNJ

I'm way too concerned about HIV/Aids to date someone who is positive. I've seen too many men die, very badly, to think about risking it (I'm a lot older than many of you!).

To me, its absolutely essential, early on in a date, before there's too much romance in the air or lust, to talk about STD testing - when, what, and status, and what's his definition is of playing safe. And then I want to spend the rest of the date/time together before having sex to get an idea if the guy is authentic/real or a liar. Listen to your gut (before having too much booze or drugs). If things don't seem right, walk away.

17. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    NO.. sex plays a big part in relationships for me... and if she has HIV then i'lll get it too...
    call me whatever but i pick sex over personality any day...

18. jeanie

jeanie Guest

I put maybe...I might actually be nervous if that time comes, but I'm not sweating over it now. I've actually read that female-female transmission is extremely rare, so I'm sure as long as we were extra careful it wouldn't even be a concern.

19. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

No. It would be so complicate and hard

20. Alexander69

This is a hard question because if I got to know him an love him and then told me he had it I would love him by then just letting him go it.... I don't know how that would play out if I really loved him I would stay.