1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you go see Dan Savage?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by oblina, Apr 4, 2013.

1. oblina

In the next couple of weeks Dan Savage will be visiting my university. I am very naive on the ways of Savage, but have heard from my girlfriend he is transphobic and saw some nasty things when I did a little internet research. I also was not impressed on what I saw when he was a guest on RuPauls Drag Race.

What do you think? Would you go see him speak?

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't. I don't like the guy.

3. Hexagon

I don't know who he is.

4. ReyJ

Women to the Front
    Personally I would only go and see him to ask him why he is such a :***:. :lol:

5. Fiddledeedee

I have to balance what activities I do very carefully. Going to see him speak would not be worth it for me. The only gay people I have knowingly met lectured us about how homosexuality was sinful; I don't want the next one to be transphobic/biphobic (IIRC)/misogynistic/other terms/just an asshole. Were I to have more energy, I might go, because it would probably be interesting and good points might be made.

#5 Fiddledeedee, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  6. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, anyone who undermined Santorum with his own name is a friend of mine!

But in all seriousness, I probably would. It would be an interesting experience, to say the least.

7. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Dan savage is a dick. Oh wait! I like dick so that would be a complement. Dan savage is a complete jerk. I have no respect for him.you couldn't pay me to go see him.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That depends, would there by a question and answer session where I could screw with him? (er...figuratively...)

Actually I don't know much about Dan Savage, but all the responses toward him on EC make me think it'd be one fun conversation!

9. LailaForbidden

NO! I'm fuming right now because I read the link that was posted above. He is the epitome of ignorance, and I hate him with :***: fiery passion. :tantrum:

10. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would go, to see what he says. And id take advantage of any discussion group that might be offered as a follow up to share my opinions on him in general as well as whatever he speaks about at the school.

11. Mogget

Savage is an odd person, about 90% of the time he's spot-on, the other 10% he's so far off the mark he shoots himself in the foot. I'd say go listen to him, but take everything with a grain of salt.

12. Femmeme

It would depend entirely on if it was free or if I had to buy a ticket.

If it's free, sure. I think listening to what people we with disagree with is important. If nothing else it helps to solidify our own beliefs and moral base. Also whether he wants to be or not Savage is often seen as a spokesperson for the... (I was about to type LGBT HA!) gay community and I think we need to know what he's saying so we know what misconceptions we need to correct.

If you have to buy a ticket? Screw that! I'm not giving that man a single penny of my money.

13. oblina

Yea, it is free. It is part of my University's "respect week" and I think it is kind of shenanigans they are having him speak, there are many other people I would have preferred, and my university is big enough to afford the bigger speakers. I've thought about posting smaller signs next to his posters with his douchebag quotes, but i dunno :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: