1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

people who use the "gay gene" exist/not exist as an argument against homosexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ticklish Fish, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Ticklish Fish

as title says...

this topic is rising its interest in me. anyone care to show me how to tackle this argument?

the argument basically goes something like, the speaker thinks homosexuality is a choice because there hasn't been a gay gene isolated, therefore the homos choose to be gay

and not to mention points like, you can't pass the gay gene since you can't reproduce?

some links will be helpful.... :confused: helpful too maybe? IDK. haha

2. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Re: people who use the "gay gene" exist/not exist as an argument against homosexualit

I think there is a gay gene. It depends on the parents and fertilisation, though. Other things too, but I can't be bothered to right them down.

I'm actually quite interested as well...

3. Re: people who use the "gay gene" exist/not exist as an argument against homosexualit

Gay guys can reproduce, with a straight woman during in vitro or artificial insemination.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: people who use the "gay gene" exist/not exist as an argument against homosexualit

I'm not up on genetics, but isn't it possible that the genes could be a recessive thing, like blue eyes? That way, a gene can get passed on from one parent, but the kid won't necessarily be gay. If passed on by both parents, the kid would be gay.

It could also be other biological factors. I've heard an argument for something happening during pregnancy that results in the baby being gay.

5. Femmeme

Well, there are plenty of people (like me) who have reproduced while they were still in the closet. Personally though I like to think we're super powered mutants like the Xmen. :icon_wink

6. Ticklish Fish

interception...

so I have stumble upon articles that say it could be environmental factor during pregnancy (gestation) influencing the epigenetics that causes the individual to be gay.. hm..

because if that is true, would it basically say that the mother unintentionally cause their child(ren) to be gay?

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2013 at 07:35 PM ----------

yeah, but this don't happen during Roman empire and Greek history :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2013 at 07:35 PM ----------

but there are many kinds of genes... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. StormySea

Epigenetics. Basically you can argue that with epigenetics, an individual can inherit genes that retain a genetic memory from a parent generation. (If you want to get really into it, it's the modifications to the genome that do not involve a change in the nucleotide sequence.) Now, I'm no expert and a lot of this is just what I've come to figure, but it's non-genetic factors that cause a change of expression in a gene, and supposedly these non-genetic factors can include the sexual orientation of your parent. So, if your mother is heterosexual and is attracted to men, it's possible for her child to be attracted to men as well, regardless of the childs gender. Same can be said for inheriting the imprint from the sexual orientation of your father.

Anyway, someone correct me if they have any evidence to disprove this (or support it!)- it's just a theory I had... .3.

8. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I always found this to be interesting too. Our preferences may be something we are born with, but our actions, and as we see in this forum, coming out as openly gay (or anything else that applies) are our choices. Just like all actions (how to dress, who to vote for, what activities to get involved in) are, regardless of sexuality.

To me whether or not there is a gay gene is not important. We are still human beings, who deserve the same right to safety and freedom that any other human does, and I think our expressions of love should be respected the same as hetero expressions of love are as well.

Like think about vegan people. (Im not trying to trivialize anyones struggle with gender or sexuality by comparing it to peoples diets, just drawing a comparison on the most basic level) Some people are vegan because of dietary issues (allergies, lactose intolerance), some people are vegan because of moral or cultural reasons, some just do it for health or because they dont like the taste of meat, animal products. Whether they were raised as birth from vegan and that is how their body is, or has adapted to a vegan diet, or if someone chooses later in life to become vegan, is not important. Vegan people exist and do they not deserve the right to walk into a vegan restaurant without being beaten? Do they not deserve the right to eat what they want without everyone else trying to shove meat down their throats? Maybe they shouldnt expect every restaurant in the world to offer vegan meals, or expect everyone in life to cook a vegan meal just for them, but should they instead expect to be beaten and humiliated and ostracized? Or have laws imposed on them about what they can or cannot eat?

Whether homosexuality is a choice or not, doesnt matter. There are gay people in this world, and its not something thats harming anyone (unlike someone making the choice to commit rape or murder), and choice or not, humans who identify as homosexuals (or bi or anything else) should be given the same rights and opportunities as heterosexuals and their choice in the matter should not be held against them just because its not the norm of the broader society.

9. DannyBoi66

Maybe being gay isn't something you can surely pass on completely. I mean, You can't be born 100% like your dad or mum, so it can be passed on, but not fully. Since if a gay guy had sex with a straight woman, the child can't be completely gay because of his/her mum, but might have some gay traits. If that makes sense...

I guess it's a chemistry-type thing. :shrug:

10. Femmeme

Actually in the Roman and Greek eras most gay men married and fathered children even though they often lived in a separate household with their male partner. Through out history gay people have reproduced, ironically it's only now that people are out in large numbers that gay parents are less common.

11. Mogget

The "homosexuality is not a choice" argument is a red herring. Many homophobic organizations, include the Catholic and Mormon Churches are happy to accept that we don't choose to be gay; they still think it's immoral.

The truth is that the morality of having gay sex is completely unconnected to whether the desire to have gay sex is chosen. I didn't choose to have a temper that flares up explosively, but that doesn't mean it's okay for me to let my temper get the better of me. Likewise, I chose to become a Buddhist, but that doesn't make being a Buddhist immoral.

Having gay sex is either moral or immoral, why we want to have gay sex is irrelevant to that question.

12. DannyBoi66

Wow... This is so true!

13. StormySea

I've heard about the embryo development factors influencing orientation as well. (This is actually also Epigenetics). That basically says that sex-specific marks activate during development that protect the fetus from undergoing too much variation in hormones. If those marks break down, fail to activate, or activate at the wrong time, the fetus can be exposed to unusually high amounts of estrogen or testosterone.
    And supposedly that would effect sexual orientation- brain chemicals and all that. ;D

14. Femmeme

A slightly off topic thought I'd like to throw out there is I think the "it's not a choice" argument can be really confusing and even harmful to some gay people.

It makes it sound like gayness is some overwhelming compulsion or addiction or something.
    I had this idea that I must not be gay, because I COULD keep choosing to be in relationships with men. There weren't GOOD relationships, but I could do it and I could focus on the idea of women enough to fantasize my way through sex and still enjoy myself... therefore I couldn't POSSIBLY be gay.

15. Cascade

I had a class cover epigenetics and I agree. It's the likeliest cause (that we know of) because of the genetic memory. It makes sense to me more than a simple gene.

16. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

Another point worth thinking about: the people who argue that there can't be a gay gene because gay people won't reproduce is missing the obvious fact that there are many gay people who do, indeed, reproduce, and not just via test tube. Societal pressure has "encouraged" many who are gay to deny the fact, and get into a straight marriage. There's more than one person here who is a gay, who got married, and had at least one kid.

17. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

so correct me if im wrong... im bi coz one of my parents passed it on to me?

i bet its from my Dad's side... maybe i can use this theory to come out to my old lady?

18. prism

Hey TF!

Homosexuality is not genetic? I have two gay older siblings. Oh, it's nurture, not nature? My younger brother, the youngest sibling, is as straight as a ruler

Biologically, I don't care how it happens. I just know that it's genetic. If it's a random mutation, my family should start playing the lottery.

#18 prism, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  19. Ticklish Fish

you mean your family should start training super powers and be villain/heroes? lol

hm... I'll think about that lol. That got me curious if there's a studies of late-coming out and sexuality of children. but given that most of the researches or surveys on sexuality right now, either it's non-existent or i have to spend hours googling :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

i get your analogy, but how does one, say, counter those "homosexuality is a choice because such gene don't exist"? lol

the same thing can be said for genetics disease that do not express until enough/certain environmental factor triggers it. What about disease carriers? :confused: could sexuality be like a carrier thing that some people don't express? ugh. my head hurts.

okay... vegan analogy. I almost follow you, but I don't get the part about "vegan restaurant". what is that the equivalent of being gay? and i understand your point about not being beaten/humiliated/whatever.

ok, one more thing to add.. I am currently taking undergraduate level genetics class and we have covered epigenetics a bit... lol. but of course they won't do big topics like homosexuality when you got like 20 other things to teach haha

20. Mogget

You don't. That isn't a good-faith argument and it doesn't deserve a good-faith response. My response to those people isn't to try to prove to them that there is a gay gene, but to ask them how on Earth the existence of a gay gene would make gay sex okay if it isn't without a gay gene.