1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by theMaverick, Apr 5, 2013.

1. theMaverick

So...I just signed my contract to live on campus for Fall 2013/Spring 2014.

Really really nervous.

Like panic attack nervous.

2. BudderMC

Don't be nervous! (that's easy for me to say, isn't it?)

What are you nervous about?

More importantly, what are you EXCITED about? :slight_smile:

3. theMaverick

I'm nervous about living on campus in general, roommates, sharing my space, and adapting to a totally new way of doing things.

I'm excited about getting the :***: out of my parent's house and hopefully making new friends.

4. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an only child and when I went to college/university I joined a fraternity I freaked out at first coz I had to share... There was always people around, I had all these brothers and didn't know how to go about it .... But after a while I adapted and would say that my years of studying we're the best!!!! Parties, girls, freedom from my rents etc .. Embrace it dude coz your gonna have a blast!! Believe me

5. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

Lucky you! You should be excited, you'll have a great time there. Best wishes.

6. theMaverick

I know it'll turn out okay, I'm just not the best at adapting to change.

7. Wolfie Charm

I’m starting to think a little freaking out is common… I always worry about new things until I arrive and see others. :slight_smile:

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's perfectly normal to be scared. There are books and articles about going to college that make it clear that people worry, and they worry about the same things you are. I remember hearing someone tell a story once about when he went to college in the 50s. He was so overwhelmed by the experience that he actually ran away and took the first train home! (I'll mention this guy later, and tell you what happened to him.) So what you are going through is nothing unique.

Your future roommate is probably as scared of sharing a room with you as you are with him!

Try to focus on the plusses, like meeting new people. And, of course, getting the Hell out of Dodge, er, your parents' house.

(Incidentally: meeting the new people might seem overwhelming. But many colleges do orientations to make the process easier. I don't feel comfortable meeting people, but I personally find that if I force myself to do it, once the initial meeting is over, things go well.)

Earlier I said that I'd tell you what happened with that guy who escaped his college and went back home. You may be wondering what happened. He returned to the college--I have this vision of his mom stuffing him on the return train!--and he eventually graduated. When I heard this story, he was back at that same college...except at the time he was telling it, he was the college president!

9. fuzzywuzzy

I feel you. I just signed for a university exam, which covers 2 subjects and is really heavy and writing-intensive. I'm really nervous about it, since it's something that determines my life. I'm also worried what would the university life would be. As a mostly introverted person, meeting new people might be hard for me as well.

Wish you luck there! Try to calm down :slight_smile:

10. Convoy

Blah I have to do this soon.. I'm going to a local (But state) collage and while it's only a little bit always I still have to finish all the paper work, entering grades, etc.

Good thing is I hopefully won't have to take any exams, since they use my grades from HS (If they're good enough, and since I'm not taking a math based course I should be OK).

I'm still going to have a ton of debt though, no real good grants for me and regardless of where I go I'm going to have a ton of stuff to pay off later. At least I'm getting away from my house (Since my parents are like psychotic and moronic).

Collage, it is what it is :dry:.

Can't wait till I'm able to get a job that allows me to actually work enough and earn enough to move out of here, go somewhere worth living away from my family. I'd like to never have to rely on them again, but I kind of have too right now or I'll be screwed.

11. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Why do so many people go to colleges where it costs them <100k of debt? If I live at home then college is only going to cost me ~40k for all four years.

I don't think you should worry about it. It won't be as bad as you think it will be.

12. Convoy

Blah, I can't live at home; honestly I'll flunk out if I do, I just can't deal with my family and stay productive.

So yeah, it means more work but I'll do it. They don't really have anything to offer me anyways.

13. theMaverick

I've already done two years of school, and have $9,000 some in student loans, where I'm going now it is only going be be about $25,000 more.

---------- Post added 5th Apr 2013 at 02:54 PM ----------

Maybe a little more depending on how much time it takes me, but I'm not really worried about student loans.

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I lived at home, but I know it was a horribly unpopular option. I knew of people who lived a half mile or less away who still lived on campus. Best story: the guy who was 1/2 mile, and begged to be allowed to live on campus. His parents finally cracked, and said, "Well, one semester for the experience!" He never came back home, except on vacation.

In my case, the decision was entirely financial.

But living at home does have some practical problems. It can seriously limit college choices. And commuting is not free. Living on campus, you might be able to get away with no car. But commuting you'd likely need a car, insurance, and lots of gas money.

Also there is an argument for living on campus in that it makes it easier to take advantage of activities. For example: your last class is at 2 one day. But there is an interesting play/concert/lecture/strip poker game at 8. That day, you deperately need a nap (that party the night before lasted too long!). If you live at home, you have to go home, and come back again, wasting time and money. You live on campus, and you can go to your room, take that nap. At 7:50, you have a quick walk to the event.

Also: living on campus gives you more chance to interact with other students. Some have argued that that interaction is very important. On a purely practical level, this is a source of future contacts. But it can also be a learning experience. I remember reading someone who quoted another person's outline for starting a college. (I can't remember for sure who came up with the original outline, but I think it was the president of a Big Name College. Like Harvard.) The outline went like this: the first thing that gets built are the dorms. Then the library. Then, and only then, would there be classrooms and professors added.

15. BudderMC

Because you can't put a price on the experiences you'll have living on campus and being a part of a university community, whether it ends up being good or bad.

There are people who live at home who manage to really get involved in university life, but more often than not being "so far away" is a major deterrent for people.

16. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not the greatest at adapting to change either. It took me a bit to get used to college campus life, but it's totally worth it!

Most colleges have some sort of orientation so that students can meet one another. I met some of my close friends there. Also, get involved. Getting involved has helped me adjust and it helped me meet a ton of awesome people! There are clubs for everything in college.. I mean really everything.

If your having a roommate, then don't be afraid to go to people higher up if they are not respecting you. I know that here we talk to our RA's and then we talk to our RHD (residence hall director) or ARHD (assistant residence hall director). They can get us on the right track to getting another roommate or moving out of the room.

17. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nicely put:eusa_clap

18. evora

Congrats! :icon_bigg
    I hope you don't mind me asking, but how do know so early that you got into university? Or is college different from uni? Sorry for being so clueless about this...
    Here, where I live, we'll only know for sure at the end of July, and won't know if we got into the accommodation provided by the university (youth hostel?) literally weeks before term starts in September...
    p.s. sorry for hijacking your thread :icon_redf

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Evora: here in the US, colleges and universities both serve as the next educational step past high school. The difference is how far they go. Basically, a college will do a 4 year degree at most, while a university will do that, and do more advanced degrees.

I'm far removed from that time of my life, but one does learn acceptance in spring in the US from both colleges and universities. (Policies probably vary a bit by institution, but this is generally "the time.") I remember having to commit to my college in May, and I was totally signed up for classes less than a month after graduating from high school.

20. JPC

JPC Guest

Holy crap university in the U.S. is expensive. The government funds tuition in Ireland, and gives us grants to pay our way through the year, and I even got extra grants to come and spend a year studying in Spain.

But living on campus can be a really brilliant experience and after a few weeks you probably won't even remember why you were worried in the first place. Congrats and good luck!