1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missed your calling?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MixedNutz, Apr 5, 2013.

1. MixedNutz

Do you think you have or has someone told you that you have misses your calling?

My close friends are all various ages and in various places of the same process I am in, coming out and starting a new life with new found freedom to be yourself. I'm not the oldest, or the most experienced, but I always seem to be the sounding board for questions, advice ext.

After a long discussion today with a friend about a guy he's interested in, life, coming out and the combo of all three intertwined he said "you've really missed your calling, you would have been an amazing therapist"

Which made me ask said question.

2. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    yup...i get all the time...

just goes in one ear and out the other...

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps it's not that we "miss" our calling but rather that we just aren't listening to "the call"

Proust said that most people end up being what they're second-best at...how depressing!

Did I miss mine? Probably...

4. Xochipilli

Is it really ever too late?
    I'd like to think not. :icon_mrgr

5. Wolfie Charm

I had a friend who said I should be an actress after a spectacular performance that got the two of us out of detention in our freshman year, but other than that nope. I’m doing what everybody hounds me to do.

6. boysdontcry

Apparently my calling was to be a good christian mother and wife, so I'm not sure how torn up about that I am actually.

7. Convoy

I used to be a good artist and musician and enjoyed both however after things got complicated I shut down and don't express myself much anymore.

I don't know what much I want to do right now, so missing it wouldn't be hard.

8. 4ever Hearth

You shouldn't do that. Creative people literally walk a very thin line between sanity and insanity, we are beings of "chaos" and "primitive instincts", per se. :thumbsup:

Mine is similar to this tho. I just knew I was going to be a Entertainer so I learned how to hit and control notes by listening to other singers, around my teens I learned how to dance by watching videos from the primetime of mainstream dance and underground dance videos and I turned my poetry into songs. So I was just about set until I realized that all of the above were coping mechanisms for me and if my life was to be centered around "entertaining" others, I would kill myself.

Nowadays, I take joy in writing. I'm nowhere near as naturally-gifted in it as I am the singing, dancing and poetry but I like(not sure if I love it) it. It keeps me on my toes and I do have to push myself which makes it both terrible and fun at the same time. Also, I love the idea that with writing it's "my own world" and I can tell whatever story I like from it. :slight_smile:

9. evora

No one's told me that yet but I'm sure they will...Probably in a few years time. Although I do get told how I've wasted my life on a regular basis. :icon_sad:

10. Aielar

My family doesn't know what I'm going to school for (early childhood education), and there is multiple reasons for that. I'm sure if they did know then they'd tell me I wasn't on the right path and to go back to the one that I wasn't enjoying. My friends are incredibly supportive of my future vocation, and none have tried to persuade me to be something other than myself.

11. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My friends and I love making short films, and I've been told I'm pretty good at acting based on those and my small parts in our school musical. I'm being hounded by my mom to pursue a career in that instead of politics, but hey, politics is all acting, ain't it?

12. not too sure. im only 21, but i know what i want to do i probably wont pursue it though. D:

13. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't actually been told that, everyone has been super supportive of my journey to find myself. I know awesome people. :slight_smile:

I think a person's calling is very unique and personal. Nobody can tell you what it is so don't sweat it. :grin:

14. FranklinK

It's never too late for anyone to do what it is that they want to do. It may be hard getting there or the chances slim, but you have to put yourself out there. I model, but it isn't anything but small time shoots and what not, but I'm building up my portfolio. Slowly, but surely I'll work my way up to the top and maybe take a stab at acting.

15. Sahale

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure that most people have one single thing that they were "meant" to do in life. I think that people with certain personalities are drawn to certain types of vocations, but there's a pretty big spectrum. People aren't one-sided; most people can be/are happy doing any number of things with their life.
    Obsessing over "what you were meant to do" is a sure-fire way to drive yourself insane and miss out on everything else that you could do in life.

16. Hexagon

I probably have. I tend to miss things when I don't know what I'm looking for.

17. This is true in my case. My job is to do what I'm second best at, but I still do what I'm best at. I wouldn't say I 'missed my calling', but I wish that my calling could be a full time job. Oh well!

18. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah, I may have missed many... because I lack the confidence to pursue in what I actually want, in case of failure.

But.. tomorrow I'm going for one.. but.. I'm stuck on the boarder of pessimism and optimism at the moment.. but more towards pessimism..

I'm just so used to working in a job for the sake of money.. that I don't feel I can go anywhere in life.. but I will try tomorrow wish me luck :lol:

*Sigh*

19. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I've heard the advice, "Just follow your calling" so many times when I've told people that I feel like I have no direction in life. But I've been good at just about everything I've put my mind to (it's part of the reason I have a 4.0 GPA), so I don't feel like I have a calling. Is a calling supposed to be something I'm good at? Because if that's the case, everything is my calling. So I just do what maximizes my overall happiness and satisfaction. That's my "calling".

20. Abraxas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As my dreams changed over the course of my life, I lost focus, and I've settled into the job I am now in.
    Is it the most ideal? No. Is it where I love being? Not really. Is it where my parents wanted me to end up? No. My dad, as a matter of fact, wanted me and my siblings to never go into this field, as he had. Guess what?
    That said, there's no telling where I may have ended up had I chased my dreams more, but perhaps I ended up where I'm meant to be, and I'm always best at what I do. :wink:
    (I wanted to entertain people coming up in life. Adult entertainment. Bow chika wow wow. Okay, maybe not that kind of entertaining. =P )