1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereotypes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aussie792, Apr 6, 2013.

?

Do you fit stereotypes about your sexual orientation?

1. I fit stereotypes strongly

5.3%
  2. I fit stereotypes a little

32.5%
  3. I don't fit stereotypes much

38.6%
  4. I'm the opposite of stereotypical

17.5%
  5. There aren't many stereotypes about my orientation

6.1%
  1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry if there's already one, I'm not sure if this thread has been done, but are you stereotypical? For instance, I like cooking, and I'm not interested in sports to a great extent, but I don't act flamboyantly at all. Most people actually think I'm a social conservative until they speak to me properly. I also don't care much for fashion (but I dress and groom well), and my real interest is in politics (centrist), public speaking and law, so that's not stereotypical. I also hate pop music, which gay guys are supposed to like. So, what stereotypes do you or don't you fit?

2. AKTodd

Lets see here...

In my family the rule was you were old enough to cook when you were tall enough to use the stove safely. I can cook as needed and I like to eat good food. Don't enjoy it in the sense of doing it for fun, but never thought of it as a stereotype.

Not at all flamboyant. I keep myself clean and groomed and dress functionally in simple clothes. Jeans and t-shirts or shorts and tanks. Polos at work. Work out but don't care about sports otherwise. I'm just under six feet tall and stocky/muscular. I'm told I'm somewhat intimidating. A friend once said my management style was 'Do it my way or I'll kill you'.

Music wise I like rock and metal but will also listen to anything I enjoy hearing and don't care about genre or artist. There's a bit of Lady Gaga on my iPod. Right before a bit of Megadeath:wink: I enjoy some Broadway musicals and theater but love a good scify or action film. More if it has lots of buff shirtless guys in it.

Currently most of my friends are female and most of the time I will go hang with them while the guys in the group watch sports on TV or something. Then again most of my female friends are executives who make six figure income and talk about business, politics, and fine food and wine. I'm like to talk shop, am a politics junky, and like to eat good food.

I know which end of the hammer hits the nail and can change a tire but not much beyond that. But my partner builds rooms for a living and our straight male friends (most of whom are retired military) ask for his help on stuff.

So there ya go.

Todd

3. The key to escape stereotypes connected with orientations is simply to not adopt one. Create your own identity - don't just slot into one.

4. Hexagon

Lol, I'm not too sure what stereotypes exist for bisexual men, other than 'non-existant' and 'promiscuous'.

Well clearly I exist, and I've never had sex.

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    'Femininity' seems to be discussed whenever the topic of women dating bisexual men comes up. 'I need a man who is going to look and act like one', 'I couldn't be with someone who is more womanly than me', and 'Sorry, but just thinking of him involved with another man makes him seem less masculine to me, and that's a huge turn-off'.

^Not verbatim, but around the same ballpark.

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is nothing about me that says "gay"
    In fact I'm know as the gay-walker...all of their strengths none of their weaknesses

7. hyperaware

hyperaware Guest

Despite the fact that I don't wear heels, nail polish, make up and all that shit, I don't fit stereotypes much. There's nothing about me that screams LESBIAAAAN!, I guess. Well, but that's the way I see myself, don't know about other people.

8. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I Ain't fem, can't cook or clean, hate shopping, into gym, sports, fishing, hunting, fighting, like rnb, hip hop, rap, rock and don't know any gay/bi guys out of EC minus the hook ups

Do I fit the stereotype?

9. I don't know much about the stereotypes of bisexual people, although I don't think I fit any of the ones I do know. Apparently, according to idiotic friends, bisexual people are basically slags. Always wanting sex with whoever they can do it with. I'm not too interested in sex to be honest, I'm waiting for the right person and don't really plan it until I'm of age or ready. I just think people are immature with stereotypes, not all gay people are flamboyant, not all lesbians are manly, etc.

10. FruitFly

Cats.

Because as any good gay female knows, gay women love their cats. But then women in general tend to be associated with favouring cats, so I tick many boxes on account of not only owning, but openly spoiling, multiple cats.

I think the cats still apply to those who are not exclusively homo/heterosexual, or maybe we're supposed to like dogs...

11. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't like sport, is that a Gay Stereotype?

12. evora

I don't think anyone I know would ever guess I'm into women, although I can't help but wonder if they really are as clueless about my sexuality as they seem to be...:dry:

13. Robellious

Well, I'm into watching basketball or rugby.. I'm okay with watching football I guess..

Im into fashion so thats another stereotype..
    I'm a very disorganized/messy person.. thats not a stereotype I think lol.
    I am pretty artistic so I think thats a stereotype..
    I'm a bit flamboyant. I think its cause I recently came out and I was holding that crap in..

14. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's the stereotype about asexuals?

15. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Everyone I've ever told has been quite surprised, so I guess that means I don't fit the stereotypes much. However, I definitely fit the stereotype about diva worship (that is, I'm way more inclined to idolize and admire famous women than famous men, and I idolize them way more strongly when I do), so I can't say I don't fit any. :slight_smile:

16. Night Rain

Apart from the fact that I don't like sports and I'm a bit feminine (as in my mannerisms), I don't speak gay (no "hey girls", no "fabulous", etc.), I'm pretty much like any straight guy. I like video games, I like instrumental music (game OSTs anyone?), I dislike flamboyant/in-your-face gay guys (no Glee!), don't like pink, don't listen to or worship gay music icons, I have no interest in fashion...

That's it I think. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. JPC

JPC Guest

I'm not sure that I fit any of the stereotypes. I don't play sport, but I like watching it. Pretty much all my friends are straight guys. I think I dress well, and kind of different from other people I know, but it's definitely not flamboyant, I think it's just because my friends are sweat pants and a hoodie kind of people. I don't like Gaga or Kylie, etc. or any pop music in general, I much prefer groups like Florence & The Machine, Bastille, etc. (I really like Robyn though). Overall, I don't think I really fit the stereotypical description of a gay guy.

My one weakness though is Jennifer Aniston movies! (though I'm not sure if that's a gay thing)

18. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think anybody can tell I'm gay. I am a mechanic, that helps. That is sort of stereotype straight male job, I'd say.

19. theMaverick

While the people who know have more often than not told me that they suspected it, the only way I'm stereotypical is that I don't check out women. So if not checking out women makes you stereotypically gay, then I am [YOUTUBE]z6zDygujgj4[/YOUTUBE]

20. I don't fit stereotypes, except the one where gay guys have high-ish voices. I'm kinda close to having a high voice...