1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Do I Hate Sport?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dublin Boy, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    All the Straight Guys that I work with are crazy about Soccer, but I hate it, why do I hate it so much, it can't be a Gay thing, as I know some of you Guys on here support Soccer teams, I was never any good at sport at school & I was always one of the last one's chosen for a team, when I got to the age at school to be able to choose my lessons, sport went out the window :slight_smile:

2. Hexagon

I hate sport too. I just find it boring and unnecessary to watch, and unpleasant to play. I fail to see the point in kicking a ball across a field, and theres even less point in watching others do it.

Just be glad that you have more free time than others :slight_smile:

3. I think for me it comes from having a Dad who was really into it and had it on the TV at all times. The sound of people cheering and a commentator muttering in the background became so frustrating for me that I feel a bit queasy when I hear it now. Also, there's little I feel more strongly about than sportspeople's wages. Disgraceful. There's simply far more interesting things to watch than sport.

4. Zmajcek

Zmajcek Guest

Personally I hate football cause my dad also hates it, so he never got me into it. I like some other sports though, but usually only to watch. I always preferred playing individual sports and not team ones, because I always used to be one of the weakest players in a team and I felt inferior. Whereas as an individual player I know I only play for myself and I am not so afraid of rejection, I guess.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I also hate most sports. I was terrible playing them in PE, and was always one of the last selected for a team. Maybe once a year, I'd hit a softball. I generally only saw the ball at a distance while playing basketball, football (American), or soccer. I haven't played any of the above since my last PE class 25+ years ago. I'd be happy if I played none of the above ever again.

Was I lousy athlete because I was no good? Or was I no good because I was lousy athlete? Is this which came first, the chicken or the egg question?

I also find watching most sports to be a crashing bore. The only exception has been with aquatics. But I don't go out of my way to see a swim meet, either. (Actually, the part that I like the most is diving. My area has a good coach/teacher, and it's fun seeing her divers.)

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's why you hate it - you're no good at it.

Seriously, school gym classes absolutely suck. Instead of actually teaching motor skills, they just tell you they 'want to see more hustle'. Which means if you aren't naturally talented at motor skills, you'll just get humiliated in gym class, and end up hating physical activity.

If they taught gym class the way karate is taught, it would be totally different.

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't hate watching sports, it just bores me to tears.

I like playing sports, but mostly individual ones.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    True.

When I went through, there was really nothing taught of value. The plan for the year: in fall, the boys go out and try to kill each other, er, play football. Winter: basketball and wrestling. Spring: softball. I guess it gave some activity, but very little was anything that had lifetime value.

We did very little that had any real lifetime fitness potential.

9. JPC

JPC Guest

Some people like it, some people don't. It's the same as anything really.

10. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I also hate watching it as well, it bores me to tears, I hated being forced into taking a shower in the communal showers with the other boys, I found it embarrassing & my PE Teacher was a bully, who bullied kids that were no good at sport :icon_sad:

11. Happy Guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I too hate sports. I see no point in wasting time in such activities. I even avoid places where people might be playing sports

12. CTJ

CTJ

I've hated football (soccer) for as long as i remember, i think it stems from my parents both not liking it either. I just find the game boring, so like you i was always picked last at school because i just cba with playing.

The last time i played football was when i was 15, i was forced to play and put in goal. I got hit in the face with the ball and it snapped my glasses in two. I walked out the hall telling my teacher that i was never playing football again and when he tried to stop me i told him to fuck off. Luckily my PE teacher was my form tutor as well, so i got on well with him and was able to swear at him.

My only exception to hating sports is rugby. I enjoy watching and used to enjoy playing. It was the one sport at school i was enthusiastic about and was usually the first picked because of how big and strong i was compared to the slim and fast footballers. No one got in my way :grin:

13. Lewis

This thread is me. I've always hated all forms of competitive sports and avoid them at all costs!

I've tried to enjoy them...I just can't. But that's just us, I don't think it's necessarily because we're gay. It could be a contributing factor though.

14. Harve

I'm not a huge fan of football either. But I don't see how you can make a huge statement such as 'I hate all sport' when there are so many different sports, many of which are completely different.

15. Oregontinker

We all have our likes and dislikes. Playing or watching chess bores me to death but others love it. Thank god we are all different.

16. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    I hate football too! It's just not my thing. I'm also the last person for the team, plus I have glasses, so that pretty much is the reason as well. I'm an indoor guy. I like tennis and other handsports, though, if thats the proper term for it. I remermber when my Dad used to watch matches on TV. Every 5 minutes there would be a shout or chant.

#16 DannyBoi66, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  17. barca

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I love competition. I don't like most sports for the actual act of playing them, except maybe basketball/soccer, but I can enjoy pretty much any activity if there's competition involved :grin:.

I just love seeing how much understanding people have in these activities. Whether it's chess, or some competitive video game (StarCraft anyone?!), or a physical sport. I just like to see how people are able to develop these strategies and fundamentals out of nothing. I think of them as like a puzzle almost. You're given these rules, these equipment, and your imagination, now go out and develop a standard way to play for maximum efficiency!

It's the theory behind competitive sports that really gets me interested, just a mysterious puzzle with interesting answers the creators could never have imagined! I can also appreciate the raw skill involved in some things as well.

And the feeling of competition with other people is great. It's not that I enjoy winning or something like that, I just like things that put one human mind/body against another. It really forces creativity because you're in a constant battle with someone else and every time one of you does something innovative or creative, it forces the other person to come up with new ways that respond it or make use of it. So you're just constantly building off of each other and in doing so creating this vastly more complex set of theories/tactics/strategies, than could have ever been come up with alone. This isn't exclusive to sports, but sports sure do involve it :slight_smile:.

Well that's my philosophy at least on the beauty of competition. It's not about a winner and a loser to me. It's about bringing the best out of each other.

Competition :love: