1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slippery Topic - Lube

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Oregontinker, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Oregontinker

I wanted to bring up a topic that I had not read a lot about and have been doing some research and testing on. Lube for sex. Being a bisexual/gay man I have used lube with both woman and men and quite frankly did not like most of them (taste,smell etc.). I have used water based, silicone based and oil based. They all have advantages and disadvantages, but none of them are perfect, until my Dr recommended extra virgin Coconut oil as a natural alternative. Now I am sure many of you are saying you can't use an oil based lube with a condom, and while this is true in most cases, coconut oil seems to be an exception. I have been testing this and have never had a condom fail and reading on the web this seems to be true for others as well. A test you can do is blow up a couple of your favorite condoms (consider it a sacrifice for science) and place a couple of drops of baby oil on one, a couple drops of oil based lube on another and a couple drops of virgin coconut oil on another. In my tests the baby oil one breaks in a few minutes, the commercial lube one in a couple hours and the coconut oil one doesn't break at all.

Extra virgin coconut oil is perfect for me for several reasons:

1. Super slippery
    2. Cheap (in the states trader joes and Costco sell it, and if you can go through the one they sell at Costco for sex only you are have having way to much fun if that is possible)
    3. It tastes great or has very little taste at all
    4. It is organic in most cases
    5. Coconut has a natural anti bacterial effect
    6. In my tests it works great with condoms
    7. It lasts a long time during sex

Note: extra virgin coconut oil is a white solid product at room tempature, but melts to a clear liquid above 80 degrees.

I always have two containers in the house. One I keep in the bedroom, the other is in the kitchen because I love to cook with it as well. I prefer to keep them in separate places for separate uses :grin:

I would love to hear other people's thoughts and experiences with lube alternatives.

Always practice safe sex!!!

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would still be wary of using it, unless you have found some solid scientific evidence to the contrary.

I would propose that it would have to be tested with a variety of latex thicknesses, under various conditions of stretching (the molecular structure actually changes when stretched so that fully inflated may not mimic its use under normal conditions). Other testing could include temperature variations, and chemical and pH conditions simulating the...erm..."environment" the condom can find itself in.

Not so clear cut (so to speak).

3. Bree

I tend to go for water-based lube, because it's a pain to get any kind of oil (or silicone) out of the sheets. The water stuff washes out.

Good to know that baby oil damages condoms, though.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have reservations about any oil with latex condoms. These tests are interesting, but it's not something I'd gamble on.

Some condoms are, allegedly, oil proof. (They are made of some sort of plastic.)

However, past condom issues, I think cocoanut oil sounds like an interesting lube. Particularly given that it's natural. I look at the ingredients on commercial water based lube, and some of them sound scary.

As for oil on sheets, I think it should be possible to get the sheets clean, although it may be more of a pain than many would like.