1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First experiences of being in a gay cafe/bar/place (Anyone's experience)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gazza123, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

So this up coming Wednesday I'm going to this LGBT Cafe place with my one on one support person. We've been building up to it for sometime and actually it will be a really big step for me.

He said it wont be busy when we go but obviously they will be people there. I just wanna know what other peoples first time experiences of being in places like a gay bar or cafe have been like.

Did it feel strange? Did it feel good? What? Did you eventually make friends? Did it feel weird knowing that you were among other gay people? Did you make more that just friends? What?

Personally I think it might feel strange or a bit, not what I'm used to. Apparently its a nice, friendly good place that I think also acts as a bar by night but the more social type and not the clubbing type.

Although I couldn't go on a night cuz the place is like a 45min train journey away as I live in the next city but I'm not bothered about that at the moment. It's more of the being there and what it will be like.

I know you can't tell me how it will be but I just wanna know what your experiences of these sorts of things?

2. falsereading

falsereading Guest

Weird but not particularly bad, I was 18 and a bit confused. Got smashed on Smirnoff Ice and its a bit hazy but remember alot of people staring at my cock whilst I was standing at the urinal. Nightingales in Birmingham for those that know it.

Atmosphere very relaxed and friendly but was not there to make friends, come to think of it I have no idea why I was there, I think it was someone at works birthday.

3. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know my first time in a gay bar I felt weird.I didn't know what they were going to talk about or do at all.There were only six people there including the bartender but I felt a little akward.I told them it was the first time I was at a gay bar and the bartender asked what i was.I said I was bi and believe they left me alone for awhile.It was people that had to be at least 8-10 yrs older than me so it felt very weird for me.

I played some free pool by myself for awhile and at bar close the bartenders bf or whoever he was was hanging around and they asked me to stay even after bar close.
    I think they wanted a three way and I was 90% sure of it so I freaked and decided to leave.

Other than the ending it was a nice experience.

4. Zmajcek

Zmajcek Guest

I've been three times to gay bars, first time I was not out to my friends so we were all supposedly straight and just had fun in a gay environment, however I wanted to get used to the idea so I really feel it was a right decision to go there and be cool about it, though I was totally closeted at the time.

The second time was with another gay guy who I was kind of dating back then and he wanted to immerse me into his lifestyle, so we went together and it was the only time I actually met some people in a fully LGBT environment. Most people were too into partying and the whole scene to interest me for a friendship or something else, but it was a quite casual and relaxed night.

The last time another gay friend kind of dragged me to a gay bar, cause he wanted to meet someone there, but in the end he kept dancing around me, so everyone assumed we were a couple. We attracted a lot of stares and some interest, mainly from some older men, however the music was loud and it was totally impossible to talk to anyone in there. It was kind of the place where you either make out instantly, or you just mind your own business.

5. AKTodd

First time to a bar was with a guy I'd met via a personal ad (Internet dating sites didn't exist yet). We went with some of his friends and talked (either in the drinking/bar area or near the dance floor) while they danced and such since we didn't dance. Eventually we left and went back to his place to talk more and came back later to pick them up.

It was dark, loud, and smoky, but also kind of cool to know the place was filled with 'people like me'. Note that this was on a Friday or Saturday night so it was very much in 'gay bar mode'. Since I was with a group and with this guy I didn't run into the issue of standing around feeling awkward and I just sort of took it all in rather than staring or anything. He was really nice about talking to me, explaining things, etc. He was also really nice in other ways later. I got home around 1pm the next day:slight_smile:

Only been to a gay restaurant/cafe once and that was on a Saturday afternoon. It was done up like a 50s hamburger joint/soda fountain except that it had lots of video screens doing dance music videos. I ordered a burger and had lunch. Other than some of the staff and other patrons being obviously gay it wasn't all that different from someplace like Johnny Rockets or another 50s themed burger-serving restaurant. Don't know how much it changed at night, although it didn't look big enough to support a major dance floor or the like.

Given that this is described as a 'cafe' and that I gather he's taking you there in the daytime, I wouldn't expect the full on 'gay bar/club experience' per se, but rather an environment where you can expect to see LGBT people 'on our turf' as it were. Presumably he's used this place before as a good introductory experience for people in your situation and it will be educational without being overwhelming. I hope you have a good time. It sounds like fun:slight_smile:

Todd

6. My first and only experience in a gay bar was ok. There was a club upstairs and a bar downstairs. The music was awful (Lady Gaga, Spice Girls, Cyndi Lauper etc) and the DJ was just.. no. That didn't really matter though. I stayed downstairs and did a quiz, to which I knew none of the answers at all. No-one came onto me, which is good, and that was that!

7. photoguy93

Honestly, it's not what you think. I went to a gay restaurant with a lounge upstairs. The only difference I could tell you between any other "hot spot" was that it was full of gay men.

This was a fairly nice restaurant. It was in a reputable area. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. It wasn't like people were having sex on the tables.

I've never really heard of a gay cafe....but I think it really applies. It's just like a normal place that happens to be full of gay people. So, look at where you are going and what you looking for - if it's seedy, then obviously there could be issues.

8. ChefJohnny

Good lord. My first time in a gay club scared the crap out of me. I was newly out and just moved to San Francisco. I went with a few new friends to the Castro, which is probably the biggest gay-borhood in the US. Its funny now, but I was scared Id get raped when I went to pee so I made my friend go with me. But, a couple hours (and a few drinks) in, all those inhibitions float away. At the end of the night, I was shirtless, dancing and making out with an amazingly hot guy.

9. MixedNutz

My first gay bar was soo nerve racking, I had no idea what to expect. Walked in, sat down ad started chatting with the bartender. It really felt like any other bar I had been too. The guys were all super nice and could tell it was my first time. It ended up being a great experience.