1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labels

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JPC, Apr 6, 2013.

1. JPC

JPC Guest

Do you think they're necessary?
    Are there too many different labels to keep up with? (sorry if I offend anybody, but someone told me earlier that they knew a girl who was demisexual and I had no idea what that meant until I googled it)

2. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    depends
    if the labels are applied by oneself to oneself then they're great & the person can use as many as they like
    if yr gonna label someone else w/ something they've not called themself that's probably bad

3. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think people are individuals and sexuality is often too complex to be described in one label

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Labels are tools, and like any tools, they can be mis-used. In my experience, the complaints that people have about labels really come down to people mis-using labels, oftentimes by trying to alter their understanding of themselves to fit their label, rather than altering their label to fit their understanding of themselves.

They're certainly not necessary, but they are helpful. Putting a word to what someone has experienced validates their experiences. It lets them know that they're not some weirdo, that they aren't just confused, that there are other people out there who've experienced what they experience.

And to be perfectly honest, there really aren't too many labels to keep up with. It can be hard to wrap one's head around the idea of there being more labels than the standard gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transsexual, but once you do, if you're open to learning more, they're not that hard to learn. Humans are very good at learning entire new lexicons of terminology; just look at any nerdy fandom and all the terms they throw around. Learning the lexicon of human identity really isn't any more challenging. :slight_smile:

5. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I am a very structured person so I love labels. It helps me to make sense of things

6. Sahale

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The human mind has a natural tendency to categorize things based on similar characteristics. So, like it or not, people will come up with labels and categories for everything (not just gender/sexuality). People who don't fit entirely into one category just come up with a new label.

7. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    I don't use them, love who you love! It's still nice to know though... I guess. :slight_smile:

8. IrishEyes1989

Personally, I'm glad that labels exist because I like to have words to identify myself with and to be able to find others like me. I must agree though that it seems there are an abundance of them nowadays. I had never heard the term "demisexual" (or many of the other labels encountered here) prior to joining EC. Whatever labels people want to use to describe themselves are cool with me.