1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever experienced homophobia?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aussie792, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And if so, what happened? I'm still in the closet but for 4 close friends, so I haven't been discriminated against personally, but I'm curious about what other people have experienced. This also includes trans-phobia, bi-phobia, or any other kind of discrimination based on sexual orientation/gender identity.

2. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just the typical school banter, you know, the word "fag" being thrown around and people talking about gays in a homophobic light, etc.

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Who hasn't?

Oh yeah. I forgot about straight people... Heh... Heterophobia showing through. :3

4. timo

Just some fucking badass 16yo kids who want to impress their friends by throwing insults at you out of nowhere.

5. JPC

JPC Guest

A little bit at a bar with a friend (who doesn't know I'm gay). It went like this:

Me: It's weird how you never see x and y (two straight class mates) here.
    Him: It's cos they're gay
    Me: I don't think they are, but I'm pretty sure gay people come here anyway
    Him: No, they've put a gaydar over the door over and it rings whenever fa**ots come near so that someone can stop them from coming in.

Needless to say the conversation ended abruptly. They also wasted their money on that gaydar, I had no problem getting in :lol:

6. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Not much homophobia because Melbourne is a fairly liberal place and there's a prominent gay culture here, so it integrates into daily life, such as at school. I already know a lot of gay/bi people, and they've never been harassed for anything minus some family issues.

But with being trans, yeah. That's always a given, unfortunately. I receive discrimination and transphobia from my own parents, even when it's not intentional. Same with my friends, coworkers, strangers.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But with being trans, yeah. That's always a given, unfortunately. I receive discrimination and transphobia from my own parents, even when it's not intentional. Same with my friends, coworkers, strangers.[/QUOTE]

That's terrible, are they just not used to you as your real gender or are they being horrible?

#7 Aussie792, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  8. Perseus

There's this guy I know and he always talks about gays in front of me saying that he would commit suicide if he was gay...

9. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In a Gay Bar when I sat down to talk to a Guy who turned out to be Straight & he told me to :***: off, you bent :***:

10. BornInTexas

Yep.

11. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    why was he even in a gay bar if he's a homophobe wtf

& not directly but i have via homophobic comments etc.

12. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was sitting with a group of kids that i sat with almost all of freshmen yr and one of them told me how none of them cared for me n thought i was stupid.I spoke up a little n said Craig(who i now think is gay) didn't mind me there.When he didn't answer this guy down the table said,"Hey fag,they said they don't want u around so fuck off.The fage part probably hurt just as much as how all 7 of them didn't want me around.

13. Hexagon

Yeah. Whenever a heteroguy discovers I'm bi, he instantly gets scared I'm attracted to him, and feels the need to repeatedly affirm his heterosexuality.

On the tragic subject of transphobia, I get it from my family all the time, and from my best friend's mother, who knew me before I transitioned. No one else knows.

14. JPC

JPC Guest

Oh my God, school is horrible (*hug*)

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure if it would count as homophobia, per se, but I was called a lot of homophobic names as a youngster for being somewhat of an unassuming, passive loner. I seriously doubt they meant it in literal terms and were simply being brats.

There was a rumor in the fourth grade that spread like wildfire and followed me for years, though. Some idiot told everyone I had 'grabbed his ass' (he was blocking the doorway, and after telling him to move and attempting to find a way around, I finally gave him a 'push' with my foot).

I wouldn't say I'm completely immune to the comments, but it has helped me to develop thick skin. If someone implies or compares me to a homosexual or a woman, my reply is either, 'So?' or, 'What if I were?' with an intense glare. Sometimes there are snickers, other times baffled looks, but it usually stops there.

16. Beware Of You

Yup all the way through school

I was beaten up twice for being "gay looking" , called a faggot, kiddie fiddler (since they thought all gays are future paedos) and did this thing called gay chicken where they pretended to kiss each other when I was around then shouted "Haha XX (me) is making you gay"

I also experienced it at college, someone covered my room door in Lube and put a huge banner saying "Gay orgie room, keep out, AIDs infested" , and when I got involved with the SU LGBT stuff I got yelled abuse from some people. It got worse when we got on the news for blocking a hate preacher from giving a "talk"

17. Oddish

Oddish Guest

My mother frequently reminds me of how supposedly detrimental my transitioning is, as if her daughter committed suicide because she has a son now. She's also forced me to put on makeup or not wear binders when family came over, to dress/look more like a female. She triggers my dysphoria without even knowing sometimes with the shit she says.

My dad on the other hand is surprisingly, a bit more cool about it. But he doesn't want me to be seen as his son.

18. Chickenlover

...trees and rocks and rocks and trees and WATER!
    Well, one of my "friends" just posted this on facebook...
    "Last week at my school I started sharing my faith with a couple of the girls there. One girl asked a lot of questions and tried to get me to screw up on something. I would really appreciate some prayer as I continue to be a witness, to them, for Jesus. :slight_smile:"

The "screw up on something" part, that's about our little chat on religion vs homosexuality. It's not that bad, but it makes me so furious that she'd do that... Asking other people to pray for me, and I was actually civil during our conversation, didn't purposely insult her.

19. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    School. Ugh. :frowning2: You can't go a whole day in mine without hearing words or phrases like: 'Gays should go to hell, they're polluting this world' or just the occasional conversations about how if someones kid told them they were gay, they would kick them out.

Oddly, in my area, no one says 'fag' or just shouts other homophobic things at you. It's always a big disscution. Actually, EC was when I first knew what 'faggot' meant. Like they are finally realising that random offensive shouts to someone and using swear words and other language like that is just stupid.

Weird...

#19 DannyBoi66, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  20. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anytime my parents see something LGBT related and at school all the time.