1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conspiracy Theories?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vhrebels, Apr 7, 2013.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Does anyone believe in any conspiracy theories? I kind of believe in some, like that the government is spying on us by using technology like security cameras, cell phones, and the Internet, but at the same time I think the whole idea is kind of crazy lol. I don't know if this counts, but if you listen to Dark Side of the Moon and watch The Wizard of Oz at the same time it matches up perfectly. Its really creepy. The munchkins march completely in beat with the Money and every time it changes songs, something abrupt happens. Its so wierd. Anyways, does anyone believe in conspiracy theories?

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm... I'll believe in a conspiracy theory if it's backed up well with good sources, and the argument is logical. Otherwise, I'm not going to follow it at all. This is with any argument, really.

For example: I have a friend who loves conspiracy theories and used to post them on Facebook all the time. I say "used to" because of this incident:

He posted the conspiracy theory about the little chips we were supposed to be getting in our hands. You know, the ones we were supposed to have injected last week. I scoured a few pages through Google about it and found that Snopes debunked it as well as a couple other sites, as well as the actual act it referred to. I returned to the facebook comments with what I found and said something along the lines of "Lack of research makes a terrible argument"

Now as I said before, if it DOES look like it's legit, I'll believe it.

For example: When I first heard about SOPA and PIPA, I thought they were just little conspiracy theories to be brushed aside. Now, I kept getting emails about SOPA. This never happens with anything else, so I decided to take a look through Google. Sure enough, I found SOPA and PIPA plain as day, with everything I'd been presented with beforehand. A few weeks later, I was calling my representative.

3. photoguy93

I agree - if it is logical and backed with good evidence, then I will look into it.

For example, I saw that whole Obamacare-chip-tracking thing. Seriously...how dumb are we? Frankly Scarlett, if we are that paranoid and that ignorant to allow it to happen, we really have bigger problems.

Also..what's the conspiracy behind The Wizard of Oz and the album?

See, to me, a good conspiracy theory also has to have a really good reasoning. For example, Marilyn Monroe. I am one of the people who thinks she might have been murdered. She could have easily gotten too close to one of the Kennedy's or someone with a lot of power....and they just saw an opportunity. That's logical. Is it what happened? I doubt it. But it really seems like it could have....

4. Beware Of You

There are a couple I think may be right.

Alot like the 9/11 theory, Princess Di theory are just absurd

5. PinkFluff

I don't believe the government is spying on us. My google search history is "how to make a nail bomb" and "How to deal with anger". How could they not be suspicious?

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm inclined to not believe conspiracy theories. It seems to me like a lot of people want to believe they're being lied to, or that they're smart enough to see beyond the most obvious explanation, but that's not me.

7. Hexagon

As far as I know, thats a fact, not a theory. Well, I dunno about the US, but in the UK, they're trying to bring in some anti-terrorism legislation which basically allows them to do just that.

It really depends on the theory. Evidence is key, and logic.

8. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend not to like4 conspiracy theories. Some of them are harmless, but some do very real damage.

Take, for example, the 'MMR vaccine contains mercury which causes autism and Big Pharma is doing a cover-up' conspiracy. This conspiracy has killed some kids. There's been a resurgence of measles in some places due to undervaccination. Plus Abubakar Tariq Nadama, a 5 year old autistic boy, died after receiving chelation therapy, a treatment intended for heavy metal poisoning (which is extremely dangerous if you don't have heavy metal poisoning).

9. Hexagon

Oh yeah, that one was bad. Mind you, A few years ago, I got measles even though I was vaccinated.

10. ChefJohnny

Anyone seen the movie "Zeitgeist?"

11. Naren

I've said this in a previous post, but I shall say again.
    Our world is a giant game of The Sims, played by "God"
    "God" lives in a world like ours, where everyone has their own game of The Sims
    "God"'s world is actually a giant game of The Sims, played by a higher power "God^2"
    Repeat to infinity or processor meltdown.

Also, for further mindfuckery, anyone playing The Sims in our world factors in, using negative exponents.

12. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Unfortunately identifying as a Libertarian, many think I'm a conspiracy nut. That's only the extremists in our ideology. There is no conspiracy theory I've seen that hasn't been thoroughly debunked.

13. Fiddledeedee

If they had good evidence they wouldn't be conspiracy theories, surely.

Eh. Moon landing conspiracy, no. Government spying on me, probably not. Covered up alien invasions, well, if there have been ones covered up then it was the aliens who did so. 9/11 government job, nope. JFK assassination, possibly. We looked at that one in class and I'm not sure, but it also doesn't matter to me.

14. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I believe that aliens are watching us... Be afriad. Be very afraid! :grin: