1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those who did not opt to go to university...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Connor, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Connor

Connor Guest

For those of you who have left school and didn't go to university/are not going to university now you've left - what are you doing now or what do you plan to do? In terms of money, housing etc. Do you make enough money with your job to support life and your housing? Please tell me all the details you possibly can. Thanks. :slight_smile:

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It was ages ago so it's probably not that relevant to now, but I didn't go to uni. My exam results (about five CSEs and O-levels equivalent to GCSE grades C and D) were nowhere near good enough to continue in full time education. I didn't want to anyway. I got an apprenticeship at the company my dad worked at and went to college one day a week to studied electronic engineering.

I lived with in Hampshire, in an expensive yachting town on the south coast, so there was no chance of me getting my own place unless my salary was at least doubled. I was 25 before I was able to move away from my parents, and that was due to being offered a job in a cheaper part of the country (here in Hereford) where I could just about get a mortgage for a 1 bedroom house on the salary I was being paid.

It was not until I was in Hereford that I came out.

I am now (a few jobs later) earning a bit above average for the area but significantly below average for what I do. However to earn more for the work I do (IT and website design) I would have to work in a more expensive part of the country where the cost of housing etc is higher and I would be worse off.

3. Tim

Tim

Still getting used to people calling it uni on here, even universities are referred to as college here :3 (There isn't really a fine line between them here...)

Anyways, I may only be 19, but I have chose not to go. I had enrolled, and scored high on the entrance exams, (highest on english, and missed highest on math by ONE POINT -.-). However, the counselors who are supposed to be there to help were not helpful. They tried to, but got overscheduled and ignored some students, like me. This turned me off of college. However, At orientation, there were some women in their 40s-50s who were going back to school. They were very inspirational, made me feel that I don't need to be pressured to go, which my mom was doing. Then something happened in the bookstore that ended with me leaving in tears (still kinda fuzzy), and in the end, I unenrolled from the campus. I decided not to go now, but I may in the future.

My teachers from high school would be disappointed, as they all commented at how bright I was, (I got Ds and Fs, cause I did no homework from depression, but got A-/A/A+ on all tests.) but I feel I need to see what's in best interest for me. You should too.

I am still living at home, just because jobs here are pretty sparse, and I can't find one -.- When I do find one, I will pay 1/4 of the rent, like my mom/sisters pay 1/3 of the rent now. I will also cover mine and my mother's food, my sisters pay for their own food, and rarely share with us, but still eat what my mom buys, so we go without food a lot -.-. The rest of the money I will save up, until I have enough to move into an apartment that I can afford to rent, and PREFERABLY with a roommate. I hate living alone, when my mom is out and sisters are at work, I occasionally get freaked out :wink:

May not be what you wanted to hear, but I may only be 19, but I've thought long and hard about it. I opted not to take the SATs, as I couldn't afford to, so the only college I can attend with my grades in high school (Freakin depression >_<), is the community college where I live, which cannot refuse students who have lived here for more then a few years for some reason. If I do end up choosing to go in the future, I will find another college, if I die trying, as I do not like the classes offered here.

4. RENThead

i recently graduated from high school (year 12 in australia)

and all my friends have just started uni. but i chose not to.
    i didnt go OP through high school (so i couldnt actually get into uni) but it made school less stressful (and i didnt want to be there anyway)

im still living at home, but i do pay rent... i work, im a casual, about 8-12 hours a week...
    im looking for a full time job so i can get some routine.. but at the moment (i've been out of school for 4 months) and just need to have a holliday (i havent had a break since i finished school)

uni isnt for everyone. so if you dont want to be there, dont waste your time or money
    get out and find a job you enjoy. dont go to uni just because you think its what you have to do, or because your parents want it. your old enough to make up your own mind about what you want in life...

5. Grof142007

well im not in a university but i am going to college. the program is a 18months so yea. im living with my parents only cause the job i have now i cant finacially support myself other wise i would move out. after i get done with this program i plan on getting a good job so i can move out and support my self( yea that a big order but im ready)

6. Hydrogen

Well, I knew what I wanted to do, and wanted to get started ASAP. A collage education would not get me higher pay, and would take a few years to complete.

Against my family's and Tyler's wishes the second I could legally apply as a state trooper I did. I don't make much, and could not afford a large house, but since I work for the state, I could get a great mortgage on a small house if I wanted. (I like renting my apartment for now). Some of the big financial pluses of my job are that I have a take home car, and the state pays for my gas usage. I also get huge discounts on rent, power, water, and just about any large retail store or company. (like 20% off at Walmart, at Tmobile, restaurants, free coffee) I have awesome insurance, and state retirement program. I can retire with 90% of my salary at age 38, and at age 42 100%. At that point my salary will be ~50/70K depending on what avenues I take and promotions.

Tyler my boyfriend (who if I could would marry) have always had the plan that once he was out of school (he wants to get his PhD.......) he would pay all the bills, and my salary would go into a retirement fund so that when we both retire it can pay our way through life until we die.

So that is the plan...

#6 Hydrogen, Apr 2, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  7. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I didn't go to Uni, although I don't recall being given the option! My parents were of the opinion that I was placed on this earth to go to work as soon as and bring all the money home to them. I never gave them the money apart from what I considered a reasonable rent.

I was never encouraged to go into higher education. I did very well at school and left at 16 with 12 A-grade "O"-levels as they were back then. Who knows what I could have achieved academically had I stayed on in education.

That said, I had the qualifications to join the UK Customs Service, albeit at a lower grade than a graduate entrant. I've been there ever since and, to be honest, I don't think I would have got any higher had I joined as a graduate - maybe faster. Bought a house at the time prices were fantastically low. Probably couldn't do it now. House prices are stupidly expensive in London.

Working with graduates and non-graduates I do notice the difference. Those few years away from home really do the vast majority a lot of good. I acknowledge that Uni is not for everyone - each to his own. Do I have any regrets? No - because I would still be in the same job and at the same grade. Yes - because having relatives at Uni and listening to the "great" time they have there, I do wonder if I missed out on anything.

In the UK, 7 out of 10 will now go to Uni as a degree is the standard qualification for most jobs. Twenty-five years ago, only 3 out of 10 went to Uni. Big change.