1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If I gave you 5 dollars...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SunSparks, Apr 8, 2013.

1. SunSparks

If I gave you 5 dollars and 3 hours, what would you do to bring the most social and/or economic impact (positive, of course)? And I really do mean this to be serious... thanks!

2. Hexagon

I'd change it into euros. And then I'd give it to a homeless person.

3. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    have 2 go with giving it to a homeless person

4. Niko

Giving it to a homeless person most likely.

5. BudderMC

Depends on what kind of social impact you mean.

Weather permitting, run to the store and pick up some soap and string. Take it to a park and let people play with bubbles for hours. You could even set up a bucket to "busk" for donations.

6. rg93

To be honest, If I'm not lazy, I would usually avoid giving money to homeless people, because there are a lot of fakes out there with actual homes and money just begging for the extra cash. I make it a point, though, to go to the next store and buy actual food, which I give to them directly, or some gloves or something if it's a particularly cold winter and they don't have any. I don't know why, but my mind is just more at peace, knowing that that person won't be able abuse the money to get more booze or drugs or find much use if they are actually frauds posing as homeless people (which I find really low, btw).

7. Hexagon

^Yeah, but thats the same principal as giving the homeless person the money. Reducing the amount of starvation/misery in the world.

8. Naren

Trade for 20 quarters, and give them to Obama, and tell him that this is change.

9. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would give it to a homeless person, also. Having a kind face approach you when you're in need brings great impact.

10. Hexagon

Yeah, to expand on my previous answer, giving the money to the homeless person not only feeds them, its a compassionate act which has the potential to breed compassion. Its no definite thing, but compassion does occasionally spread like that.

11. BornInTexas

I'd take the money to an orphanage, donate it, and go play with the little kids inside. YAY!!!

12. photoguy93

I'd give it to the clinic where I work. It's organized well and I know the money will go to a good cause. Even if we could buy a few more needles or testing strips...it's important.

13. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would probably put it into the budget for my new anti-bullying film. My hope is for it to change my small, very non-diverse school's thoughts on things like LGBT teens and those with mental/physical disorders, probably just bullying in general. I've got the ability to show the school it, I just need to get it off the ground.

14. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Give it to a homeless guy or a person in front of me in line, who's card doesn't work and they need to pay for petrol or whatever (I've done this before, and it made me feel good doing so).

Or stop by the hospital and drop it in their donation bank.

15. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its a great question... Hmmm
    I often give the homeless and poor money in subway trains and stations... Im a big pushover, a bleeding heart, and giving in general. So a special $5 may not go to them. Im tempted to say a street or station performer, some of them really do change the atmosphere and mood for the whole area... But thats still not too far off from what I do anyway.

I kind of feel like id be inclined to pass it to a person behind me in a store, or to someone randomly on the street. Most people arent used to being given money and it might have some pay it forward effect. Or at least stick it in their minds that random acts and gifts happen.

Or id just buy five dollars worth of glitter and sprinkle it on passing strangers, throw it in a crowd, or dump it on a busy train. Because glitter makes me smile and I cant be the only one... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would put towards a tend I have started in my small hometown. In the mornings I would go through the drive through at the coffee place and pay for the person behind me. My mom, dad, and brother started doing this once they seen me do it.

I left for school for 7 months, was back home this weekend and someone had paid for my coffee this morning. I asked the person working the drive through and she said that about 10-15% of the time someone pays for the person behind them.

Little things like that can brighten someones day.

17. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    buy some potatoes [or some similar vegetable], plant them in the three hours. then wait for more to grow, & give most of these to people who need them, while keeping some to plant again and grow more. [idk if this is cheating but it'd be a good thing to do anyway]

18. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would go into Macdonalds & buy 5 burgers from the Dollar Menu, go out into the street & give them to 5 homeless people on the street :slight_smile:

19. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

:roflmao:

Oh my dear God, you just made my day!!

Haha... *sigh*

Probably use it to buy food and water for a Homeless person.

20. fairlyfey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't know, $5 is nothing. Not sure how the 3 hour time limit ties in, maybe put in some volunteer time somewhere and give the money to their budget?