1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you deal with homophobia?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Polaroid1996, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Polaroid1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have never directly come into contact with homophobia, as in no one has ever directed an insult at me (mainly because they don't know I'm gay)
    But their is this guy in my college class who is to say the least a bit "odd" as in he will make jokes about Jimmy savvil and racial comments about black people and much homophobia, now as far as I can see no one in my class finds these remarks amusing or entertaining in any way, as an example when he makes one of these remarks a silence falls across the class.
    He will make a comment like "Gay people sicken me, I mean how can you want to have sex with another man" and "I bet every thing they touch gets aids" and to be honest I have no idea how to respond or to react to such remarks. How would you deal with such a situation?

2. SkyDiver

Laugh at him.

Much more effective and degrading than fighting back fire with fire.

Also shows that you are the better man.

3. fuzzywuzzy

Ignore him. That's what I do. I've been a victim of homophobia since first grade. And I've learned my lesson. Ignore them. The more attention you pay to the things they say, the more they provoke you. He's obviously doing this for attention. If everyone's reactions is an awkward silence, I bet that's just about enough for him to soon stop making those comments. I have a classmate that just shouts out how much he hates gay people. He makes a grin every time he hears something that even suggets an itsy-bitsy hint of homosexuality. Since I have mutual friends with him (one of them is a close friend of mine) what we're going to do is take him to a gay bar. I'd love to see the look on his face :lol:.

4. Hexagon

Express pity. Mix it with mockery if you need a self esteem boost.

"I'm sorry you're feeling sick, is there anything I can get you?"

5. Polaroid1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :roflmao: YOU must take him to a gay bar that would be hysterical!!!

6. Beware Of You

I just ignore them most of the time.

I remember this one time, it was at a SU debate about Gay Marriage, this one guy called me a "Militant Homosexual trying to force my lifestyle on people" which is a load of bull. I had this idea to rob his name calling of all its power and I embrassed the label "Militant Homosexual" , I dug out my old army boots and camo pants (since I was in the Cadets) and just went around campus dressed in that with a gay pride tshirt on. I then changed my facebook status to "Militant Homosexual" and it was hilarious

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If someone was being Homophobic to me, I would say, don't be nasty, you know the lady doth protest too much :slight_smile:

8. Hexagon

Sorry, I couldn't help it.