1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is cheating?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RavioliFaceMan, Apr 8, 2013.

1. I'm attempting to figure out whether I cheated on my partner or not.

If you are forced to do something sexual with somebody, does that count as cheating?
    While we're at it, does kissing count as cheating? Is a passionate kiss better or worse than 'meaningless' sex?

2. Hexagon

Being forced to do something sexual is DEFINITELY not cheating.

As for the rest, that is really something more subjective, and terms should be agreed between partners.

3. fuzzywuzzy

Being forced? No. Doing something that violates the "terms of service" of your relationship indeed counts. A simple flirty talk can be considered as cheating. Yet, for example, a threesome in an open relationship, which has the sole purpose to satisfy one of the partners, is not considered cheating, since both partners are fine with it.

4. JPC

JPC Guest

That sounds quite worrying, but being forced I don't would technically count as cheating.
    I think if I was in a relationship passionate kisses and meaningless sex would both be deal breakers but I think I would be more annoyed if my partner really passionately kissed somebody else than if they had a meaningless one night stand.

5. prism

It obviously doesn't count if you were forced.

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but if I was in the position where I was trying to figure out whether I cheated, chances are that I cheated. There's no black and white definition to cheating, but you wouldn't feel guilty if you truly believed you did nothing wrong.

Like everyone else said, it's a subjective matter. Some people have very open relationships, while some would consider emotional cheating just as bad as sex.

6. Okay, in that case I didn't cheat :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    And you all say that it's subjective and depends on the person - what are your personal opinions on what is and isn't ok? What is the most you'll accept?

7. theMaverick

If you were FORCED to do something then I wouldn't consider that cheating in book. If my boyfriend or girlfriend were raped, I wouldn't hold that against them.

To me, cheating would be if the person I was with slept with someone else behind my back. That's a violation of the trust I would share with this theoretical person, and I honestly don't know how I'd react to that.

8. Hexagon

Personally, I'd be okay with a sexually open relationship. But that isn't really the point, if I'm part of what was agreed to be a sexually closed relationship, and I'm cheated on, that is a betrayal of trust, even if the act is the same whether the relationship is closed or open.

Assuming terms had been negotiated as such, the most I'd accept would be a sexually open relationship. I think I'd have difficulty accepting a romantically open one. In a closed relationship, I'd accept whatever we'd agreed upon, as the issue is about trust more than physical acts for me. That being said, I think I'd forgive a cheater pretty easily.

9. MixedNutz

Being forced no.

I feel doing anything that your bf/gf/partner would get upset about if they knew you did is cheating. That pretty much covers all, because different people and different relationships have different dynamics.

10. IrishEyes1989

I don't consider kissing cheating, never have. Then again, I think I'm in a minority with that particular opinion. Anything beyond kissing is cheating in my eyes. I just figure that kissing is pretty much the first thing people do when they get too drunk..not that drunkenness is an excuse, but we've all been there, right?

I have definitely kissed other people while in relationships and as bad as it may sound, I don't regret it. I went with the moment and lived my life.