1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Meaning of Life

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Naren, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Naren

Welcome to Monty Python's Meaning of Life!
    Not really.

The Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 42. Discuss.

== Random off-topic-ness ==
    One year the math teacher had us read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for homework, and the next day assigned a devilish math problem. Everyone who put 42 for the answer got a 100.

2. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL...but in reality does there have to be a 'meaning' at all? Perhaps life is just life... we each make whatever we do of our existence..and then it's over. Hopefully it was a satisfactory life to the person who lived it...but I amnot sure it needs to be anything more.

3. Hexagon

Lol, the maths teacher sounds awesome. Did s/he actually make it solve for 42 or just assumed no one would be able to solve it, and hoped someone would get the joke?

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your math teacher ruled - although I wish he had put "what is the Question to the Answer of Life, the Universe, and Everything?" for extra credit.

If most of the students got the joke I suspect there would be some pretty good answers to that. :lol:

--------------------------------------------------
    Oh, if we're going to discuss - my friends and I came up with a little spoof involving this once. We once had a Freshman math teacher that would insist to us, that the Quadratic Equation always gives answers, and therefore is the answer to everything.

So, we figured, since Mr. Reynolds assures us that the Quadratic Equation is in fact the answer to everything, and as Hitchhiker's Guide assures us, 42 is the Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything, then 42 must of course be equal to -b +/- the square root of negative b squared minus 4ac all over 2a.

This of course presents some questions for us:

What the hell do a, b, and c equal? And, further, what purpose do they serve in this universe of ours?

We handed it in to him the next day. Never did get an answer. :lol:

#4 Browncoat, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  5. I always liked Kurt Vonnegut's take

"Tiger got to hunt
    bird got to fly
    man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'
    Tiger got to sleep
    bird got to land
    man got to tell himself he understand."

6. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

I really think that the meaning of life means something different for everyone. Religion definately has an impact on people's perceptions of life's many unanswerable questions. Personally as a Christian, I believe that the meaning of life is to love everyone and try to uplift people as much as I possibly can, because I believe that it is what Christ did. I think that if everyone put away their social differences and tried to just live life its fullest and just spread a message of love around, the world would be a much better place. If we as the human race just put our differences aside and tried to work together to make life on earth as wonderful as possible, their wouldn't be any nukes or violence. I believe that every step I make towards cheering up someone's day, that goal of peace becomes much more attainable. In my opinion, that is the meaning of life.