1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open relationship

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RavioliFaceMan, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Would anyone here be happy with an open relationship? That is, one where you are not sexually exclusive to one another. Also, what are your thoughts with threesomes that include your partner?

I'd probably say no to an open relationship, because I rarely have sexual contact with my partner, and prefer that they don't have too much of a sex drive. Chances are, if they feel the need to find multiple sexual partners, they're just not right for me! I also do like the idea of my boyfriend being exclusive to me. It's an old-fashioned notion I guess, but when I love someone so much, I like to think they love me so much back that they only want me.

2. Hexagon

I'd be open to one. I'd have issues with being romantically open, though. But for me, trust is much more important that sex, and to be honest, as long as its not a breach of trust, I have no problem with a partner sleeping with someone else.

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't an open relationship also be a solution to one member having a low sex drive and the other not? The one with the higher sex drive could be sexually fulfilled, and romantically/emotionally fulfilled by the relationship with the one with the lower sex drive. I understand that sex drive isn't the only thing that influences these kinds of decisions, but its just a thought.

Another just out of curiosity: How would you feel if your partner proposed opening the relationship, but accepted easily when you said no? Would you be worried they might do it anyway?

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have contemplated the possibility of open relationships, but I'm too illogical and I know myself. I would be too jealous. I'm really quite monogamous.

As for a one time threesome... heh... :badgrin:

Nah but seriously. I think I'd get too jealous but I'm pretty open minded so it really depends on a lot of factors.

4. Aielar

I could potentially be happy with an open relationship (with the right person I that I trusted deeply, but I would limit it to a sexual level only, and not a romantic level). I don't know if I would have sex with someone else though, it's one of those things that I won't know until I try it. As for threesomes, it's something I occasionally fantasize about...so, when I have more sexual and relationship experience, it's something I would want to try.

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

These seem like they're really not for me. :wink:

6. photoguy93

I couldn't do it (the open relationship.)

It would be too much of a problem. Find me once I start dating. I'm a very mature person, but this area is one where I just am....so behind the times.

In terms of a threesome...I'd have to go with my man, to a completely different place (probably a different country, a vacation maybe..) and do it with someone we really didn't know too well. However, I'd be worried about diseases...so that might not work.

A few of my friends have been involved in threesomes...and it failed, every time.

7. jeanie

jeanie Guest

Maybe, but I'd still have to be number one in everything - main girlfriend, the one who meets the family, the one who goes to functions or is at least asked first. It'd probably be more difficult for the other person to even bother.

The threesome would only happen in extremely special circumstances - we'd all have to have great chemistry. It's kind of unlikely.

#7 jeanie, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2013
  8. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My relationship's open. I'm quite happy with it - someday I want my serious relationships to be monogamous, but at the moment, I don't have a problem with being open.

9. LailaForbidden

Eh... for me, one relationship is hard enough. Why go for two or more? I dunno, it just makes it seem impersonal to me. I'd rather get to know one person on a super deep level then add in another. Just my personal preference.

Also, I'd have jealousy issues... haha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Bolin

Never, ever, ever, ever.

11. BornInTexas

What Bolin said, times three.

12. castle walls

I was in an open relationship before and I didn't have any issues. I enjoyed it. However, if the relationship is going to be long term (multiple years), I think I'd want a closed relationship

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd rather have something like this than to agree to monogamy and have them run off behind my back for not meeting their needs or what other excuse cheaters use. At the moment, I can't be bothered to enter a serious long term relationship, so it would work for me - provided they are completely honest and don't go out making dumb decisions, like having sex without protection, having drunk sex with strangers, using harmful drugs, etc.

Threesome would work, on one condition: at some point in time both partners would have to work on pleasuring me during an act. :lol: Milk that cow for all its worth, I say. :thumbsup:

14. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I probably would have said no before my last relationship, which was open. But when faced with the decision, I was okay with it.

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dr. Joe Kort, in his books and other publications, has said that open relationships can work, but in his experience, they can only work when the couple has first been together in a monogamous relationship for several years, and only when the couple discuss and establish very specific details/guidelines about what circumstances are and are not OK for another person to be involved with one or both of them.

If done too early in the relationship, a non-monogamous relationship will likely damage the primary relationship, and can also get in the way of the development of authentic intimacy between the people primary to the relationship.

16. Eponine

I'm open to an open relationship. (SEE WHAT I DID THERE?)

17. AKTodd

Don't have anything against folks who want to do the open relationship thing (would be fine with being friends with people who were open for example), but not something I would be able to do.

Many years ago, a former boyfriend wanted to do a threesome. The idea didn't rock my world because in my experience three people in a group often results in someone being left out to one degree or another (yes, this was probably my insecurities talking). Figured the same might result in this situation. Had he really wanted to and if we'd found a guy we both liked, I probably would have done it but we never got around to it while we were together.

My partner and I have discussed the possibility of a three-way (or whatever) and neither of us are interested. In his past there was a 4-way experience once. Again, nothing against folks who want to do em (Have known people who've done this and stuff involving more than three people, a lot more), just not our cup of tea:slight_smile:

Todd

18. Your post elsewhere inspired this thread so thanks. :slight_smile: I suppose you make a point - I wouldn't really be bothered if someone I was with cheated on me really, because I realise that I can't fulfill people's sex drives all too well.

Also, if I'm honest, I have been in relationships and had desires, but they were somewhere between sexual and romantic. I am only really attracted to nice people, and when I'm attracted to them I just want to give them a cuddle (especially undies cuddles). I wouldn't want to do anything more, romantically or sexually.

I just feel that being in an open relationship encourages sex with other partners, which isn't really the point I'd want to make. In truth, I wouldn't mind my partner doing this, but rather than encourage it, I'd just allow it. Therefore, no open relationship for me - I'll just be understanding when my partner needs to be 'fulfilled'. It wouldn't hurt to be able to cuddle lovely people, either.

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2013 at 02:24 AM ----------

Also, I did almost have a threesome. Someone I was with wanted to go to a gay sauna in Brighton (where he lived). We did plan on going but I chickened out. This is a guy that has been to parties at their friends house that have ended up being 'orgies'. This is a very strange concept for me. A group of friends, all having sex?

#18 RavioliFaceMan, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2013
  19. FruitFly

I'm monogamous, but I do not get jealous when the ones I love are not. I'm quite happy in open relationships, providing ground rules are established and people are actually committed to ensuring their sexual health (and for that matter my own) is not compromised by taking open relationship to mean having unprotected sex with every Tom, Dick and Harriet they come across.

The only issue I ever have is if someone wants to create a love nest where we all sleep together, and that's just not my style. I'm happy to share my house with their lovers, I'm happy to get to know them, but as I tend to be sexually exclusive to one person if someone wants a multiple partner sex scenario I'm generally the wrong person for that particular fantasy.

In my mind an open relationship makes sense as the people who will want additional partners will want them anyway, and those who do not will not, so it makes sense to me to make it clear to serious sexual partners that should they wish to have additional partners then they may do so but our relationship must have a distinct set of rules from that which exists in our monogamous pairing. I have no desire to restrict the person I love if they are polysexual/amorous, and as of yet I have had no desire to keep the person I love solely for myself. My decision in relationships is to keep myself for them and them alone, but their decisions are their decisions and if that includes multiple partners then so be it.

20. Van

Van

No! I don't like the idea of my man sleeping around. It'll make me feel like I'm not enough for him and he wants something I can't give him.